3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Treestand Opinions  (Read 925 times)

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
Treestand Opinions
« on: May 14, 2007, 04:29:00 PM »
After ten years spent almost exclusively on the ground, I am looking for a reasonably light climber to add to my arsenal this year.  Lots of public ground around me, but  I don't have any interest in leaving a stand out for my fellow Missouri residents (sorry fellas).

I'm looking at the Lone Wolf Alpha hand climber at the moment.  Seems pretty lightweight and not too many moving parts to squeak or come apart on me.  Anyone used one?  What did you think?

Any other climber recommendations?  I'm looking for something sub 20 pounds that I can set up in the dark.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Treestand Opinions
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 04:32:00 PM »
I've got one & love it.I bought a couple of padded neoprene rifle slings for 5.00 that i use for shoulder strapps.They are well worth what they cost.....
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline PhilFloyd

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 04:37:00 PM »
The Lone Wolf hand climber is a good choice.  Also, I like the Summit Open Shot.  Only 14#s, stable, quiet, and fairly comfortable.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 05:28:00 PM »
Might want to consider a Treesuit and a set of Lone Wolf sticks.

Offline Mulberry River

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 05:40:00 PM »
You'll love the Lone Wolf.  I do.
Some night you're gonna wind up on the wrong end of a gun...Vince Gill

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 05:55:00 PM »
I have hunted almost exclusively out of a Lone Wolf alpha the last 4 years. The best. Only complaint is that it is not real comfortable. Good enough for several hours but I never took a nap in one.
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 06:22:00 PM »
I have an Alpha hang on and a Lone Wolf climber but with my trees the climber just doesn't seem to work so it stays in the truck most all of the time.
Actually thinking of giving the Summit Comfort system a try.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 07:31:00 AM »
I have the LW Alpha Hand Climber,the LW Sit and Climb,and a few of the LW ALpha Hang ons with a cuople sets of 4 LW sticks.............oh yea,and a LW Assault.

My climber choice would be the Sit and Climb,with a Summit Replacement seat.Easy,QUIET,and with the replacement seat,very comfortable.I actually loned the Hand Climber model to a hunting friend 2 years ago................he still has it.

I absolutely love using the Assault and a 4 set of sticks on public land.........any tree you pick is not a problem.The Alphas I use almost as permanent stands,and being able to level the platform and seat to fit leaning trees is great.You can even get the off set bracket to have even more adjustability.

Lone Wolf makes awesome gear,a little pricey,but I think you get what you pay for with them.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline TJ Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 07:53:00 AM »
I've got a sit and climb, very comfortable and easy to climb. All day sits are not a problem in it. In fact I prefer it for an all day sit than any of my other fixed position treestands. The only downside to it, is it is alittle heavier and a little more fiddling around packing it up. I'd like to add the hand climber portion to it for short 4hr hunts - lighter to pack and quicker set up.

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 10:25:00 AM »
LW hand climber and the Tree Saddle with LW climbing sticks cover every option. My best days are in the saddle.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 02:30:00 PM »
Opinions ?  We got plenty of them around here !    

Mine is....I don't see anything that a climber can do that a GOOD fixed poistion / strap on / call it what you like - stand can't do (except the obvious...climb.  But with a good set of LW climbing sticks I can go as high as I ever want to go just as fast and much quieter (in my mind) than a climber, and I am not as restricted to what tree works for the stand.
ChuckC

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 02:38:00 PM »
Well,

I refuse to go into the woods with a bundle under each arm.  I also refuse to buy a cart to haul crap to the woods.  I've spent plenty of time with one leg wrapped around a tree and the strap/chain of a stand in my teeth.  I'm not that acrobatic anymore.

I want a simple, quiet way to go up a tree in ten minutes or less.  I don't want to carry 32 easy to assemble parts, I'm not going to tear up any more of my trees with steps, and I will leave at home anything that I suspect will clink or clang either on the way to my tree or during setup.

Guess I'm kinda spoiled after spending so much time in a Torges tree seat.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Timberghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 04:55:00 PM »
I love my Summit Viper XLS.  Been hunting out of it for 6 seasons now.  Not under 20 pounds (more like 26) and can't sit in just any tree but its plenty quiet to and from the tree, up and down the tree, and  plenty stable and secure while in the tree. I DO take naps in mine, I'm not afraid of falling out of it and I see lots of deer each season.
The toughest thing I've found about deer hunting is getting them to hold still long enough for me to stick an orange spot on them and then step off the yardage...

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 05:25:00 PM »
Jeff,,I hear ya.    Take a look at someone installing a Chippewa Wedgeloc.   The "strap on" part is separate from the stand, so it weighs like a pound or so.  Then you hook the stand over the cable.  It is fast, quiet and unbelieveably stable.  I use bungies to lash up to four LW climbing sticks to the back of the stand and carry it in on my back.  Easy, quiet.  Not very bad at all on the trees, but it does make small marks in the bark. But...Everyone has their choice.   Stay safe up there.
ChuckC

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 05:57:00 PM »
Jeff,

Not to push the Treesuit but it has no metal parts except the buckles. The only thing you need is a way up the tree and a couple strap on steps to stand on. It's comfortable to sit in, hardly no noise. When I am not in the suit I use a loc-on limit. Weighs about 6 pounds. That being said I still do the majority of my hunting on the ground. I hate carrying a bunch of stuff when I hunt too. Gonna make me one or deans seats for next season.

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2007, 08:56:00 PM »
It's a little over 20lb but I love my Ol Man. Very quiet climber, easy set-up, and extremely comfortable. It adjusts to give you a rifle rest(not that you need it), a foot rest, or a totally open front. The other nice thing is that it is about 1/2 the price of a Lone Wolf.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline carlr2s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2007, 09:22:00 PM »
The Alpha hand climber certainly is quiet. I've had deer walk by as I was going up. It's faster going up than down. It's light and folds flat, which makes it quiet squeezing through the thick stuff. If I were to buy one now, I would probably get the Assult because it is lighter. I also have the hang on and sticks, but the long strap for the sticks is kind of a pain. I can put up 3 sticks and the stand in less than 15min., but work up a sweat doing so.  Carl

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 08:36:00 AM »
Lone Wolf must be awesome with everybody's opinions on here. I use a Tree Lounge climber and a Non-typical outfitter with Rapid Rails. Good huntin' to ya'll !
                              DR

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »
Thanks for all the opinions, guys.

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2007, 02:18:00 PM »
Jeff, if you make it to MoJam, I have 2 different Summit models you can try out, if'n ya want!!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©