3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what glue with brass inserts  (Read 837 times)

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
what glue with brass inserts
« on: August 15, 2010, 06:41:00 AM »
I have some 50gr brass inserts and GT 35/55 shafts. The inserts do not fit into the shaft like my aluminum ones they are looser. What glue should I be using? I keep having them pull out when shooting my 3d target. I am using 2 part apoxy now.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: what glue with brass inserts
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 07:18:00 AM »
I use a AAE or Devcon 2-part 24 hr. epoxy with aluminum and brass inserts.But the key with any insert install is to properly prep both the arrow shaft and insert.I'll etch or scratch the inside of the shaft,and scratch up the insert with sandpaper.Then I clean everything with alcohol and then epoxy them in.What kind of two part epoxy are you using,the 24 hr. slow cure is stronger then the 5 minute epoxy.I have never lost an insert with this method,brass or aluminum.I also with my brass insert is to fit them to my shaft,somestimes they have a lip over the outside.I'll mount them on a point in my drill and spin them and file the lip so it is flush with the outside diameter of the shaft.Helps make for easier target removal and I can scratch up the insert easy.Works for me.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 07:26:00 AM »
I use steel force works good but dont plan on taking them out.

Offline DHR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
I like gorilla glue
Because hunting is a deep and permanent yearning in the human condition, there is a chronic fury in all people to whom it is denied.- Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Brent Hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
Use J.b. weld but under no circumstance use powerbond.  Powerbond and other glues seem to be indestructable but are too fragile and brittle when it comes to constant and violent collisions (archery).

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 08:54:00 AM »
I don't use epoxy anymore.

I shoot carbons and if you ever have to remove the inserts its WAY more trouble than its worth in added adhesion.
 I use the hot melt glue sold for archery and have never had an insert bond fail.

I  still use epoxy for the footings though.

I think if your inserts are pulling out now using epoxy the issue is either fit or a clean bonding surface. Epoxy is not in general a filling type of bonding agent, unless it has a structural filler additive such as jb weld or similar.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »
Gorilla glue, havnt lost any inserts since I started using this.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
Gorilla glue for me

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 10:34:00 AM »
JB weld  :thumbsup:
Jeff Couture

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 10:45:00 AM »
JB Weld for me too. A 270 (I think?) bore brush in my drill w/ acetone/ clean with a q-tip until it comes out white, wipe down insert or adapter w/ acetone also. JB Weld them in and let set. I have also used the same cleaning method and used hot melt, the stuff for a glue gun (wal-mart)with good results.
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 11:01:00 AM »
Same as jhb,  never had one come out. You can heat the point and take them out with no problem.
Schafer Silvertip

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by Buckwheaties:
JB Weld for me too. A 270 (I think?) bore brush in my drill w/ acetone/ clean with a q-tip until it comes out white, wipe down insert or adapter w/ acetone also. JB Weld them in and let set. I have also used the same cleaning method and used hot melt, the stuff for a glue gun (wal-mart)with good results.
This is how I did my first batch of carbons a few weeks ago. With the hot melt. No insert failures. The guy at the local wheel bow shop told me flat out they wouldn't stay in. They use fast set gel fletching glue.

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
jb weld. the only thing is you will NEVER get them out.

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
i saw a new gorilla glue today. it's a rubberized glue for impact use.is that what you gorilla glue users use?

Offline Dean Lintz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »
When at Compton talked with Big Jim he uses a hot melt that stays pliable when it cools said does his customer arrows with it and has not a failure since going to it. I got some from him it work very well. I like the ability to change insert weight if needed. The process he explained to me does not apply much heat to shafts.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
I use the slow set marine grade epoxy with good results. If you need to pull the insert at some point, just screw in an old field point and apply heat to it until the epoxy gets soft, then pull out the insert using pliers on the field point. The shaft won't get too hot as long as you keep trying to pull on the field point after applying some heat, and then add heat repeatedly until the glue gets just soft enough to allow the insert to be removed. If you start boiling the epoxy with heat, it will also heat up the shaft enough to cause damage. I don't pull inserts from shafts very often, so there has not been any problem with repeated heating of the ends of my shafts. I have never had a problem with the end of the shaft being damaged by heat, although many people will condemn this process as being too damaging on shafts. It isn't if done properly and infrequently. Hot melt works well too, but it can get brittle and fracture if you hit hard surfaces with your arrows. I like the idea of the pliable hot melt that Dean Lintz says Big Jim uses, but I have no experience with it. Marine epoxy is MUCH stronger and is not as brittle as the fast set epoxy. It has never failed me, although just about every other adhesive I have used to glue in inserts has failed at some time or another.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 12:17:00 PM »
I don't apply any heat to the shaft when using hot melt. Just heat up the insert good (usually brass) apply hot melt to insert, fan glue a little with the way out portion of the butane torch flame and shove it home. Use a f/p when installing and spin and adjust while still hot if necessary (usually not) and let air dry, no water dunk. just my method, always get good results, never have anything come apart in foam or stumping..

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
I'm not 100% on this, but I think that GT's are .246 ID and the brass inserts are .243 OD.
You may have a hard time with them. Hap

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 01:13:00 PM »
I don't know the diameters in the shafts or the brass inserts but they fit my GT's perfectly.

Offline K.Morgan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »
I have a buddy at GT and I asked him what is the best way to glue in the brass because I myself have had may pull out. He said that there is no sure way to glue them in. There is something in the shaft that doesn't allow for a strong bond. He also said if you scratch up the inside dia of the shaft it can cause it to fail. He said they have heard that the best way is to clean both the insert and inside of shaft and then use the hot melt. I have tried all the above and in many ways and I still have tips pull out. I shoot a heavy poundage bow but I don't think that is the problem either. GT says it is but I think it is the shafts. He said they are working on either a new glue or changing the shaft to aid in this problem. I have found that marine grade epoxy is about the best for me but still have had a few pull. Good luck..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©