3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadhead Setup Weight: Two Choices  (Read 188 times)

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadhead Setup Weight: Two Choices
« on: August 15, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
I've decided to go with a very heavy arrow for my 37# take down recurve this season. I'm going to shoot a 32" BOP 2114 aluminum arrow. The overall weight for the entire arrow is 575 grains. At 20 yards with a 205 grain field point, it shoots where I look. Ditto for 15 and 10 yards.

I'm going to glue a 130 grain STOS 2 blade broadhead to a 75 grain screw-in steel adapter.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead Setup Weight: Two Choices
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
160 Stos without a doubt.

THe heavier heads make are made out of thicker metal and therefore the ferrules should be truer.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead Setup Weight: Two Choices
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 12:20:00 PM »
I think it is almost 6 of one,half dozen of the other.If I understand right,the 130's are the same length and width as the 160's.The 160's would be slightly thicker and stronger than the 130's but I can't imagine the 130 wouldn't be plenty strong.

I can't imagine why one would have a ferrule more true than the other.I can tell you,the 160's I set up,have as true a ferrule as I have seen on a broadhead and I think that is important.They are a great head.Every one I mounted tested perfectly straight on my spin jig,with no tweeking.I bet the 130's and 135's are the same.

I usually choose a steel broadhead adaptor over aluminum to add some strength so I might give a slight nod that direction but in the real whitetail world,I think either setup would work well.

I will say,if I were going with a 75 gr steel adaptor,I would only buy the Premium adaptors.3-Rivers has them as does Braveheart,possibly others.There was a design issue with the standard ones and some people had them snap where the back of the taper meets the shank.

I think that arrow setup will really make that bow perform.I have found the same thing with heavy arrows.Out to 20 yds,I don't have to think about it.At 25,I see about 4" of difference.

Good luck with your selection.I don't think you can go wrong.Great choice in broadhead.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©