3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SafetyTip for all !!!  (Read 264 times)

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
SafetyTip for all !!!
« on: August 15, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
Being in the business that I am (working in the Medical Examiners office) I would like to remind all of us that when we do go hunting this year leave map and location of the area and stand you will be hunting in with your wife or friend. And inform them if you are going to move from that location. In my job every year we get a case of someone who unfortunately had an accident afield and nobody knew where they were hunting or what time they would be back.Having this info on hand could help in getting help before it's to late. So photocopy your location and keep someone informed of your whereabouts it could save your life.     :thumbsup:      :campfire:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Online HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: SafetyTip for all !!!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
Thats a good point.I can't count the times I suddenly had some time and just slipped off to a tree stand and nobody knew which one !!!!
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »
thanks for the reminder.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
I try to always let my wife know the "name" of the stand I'll be hunting so she can tell my son if I don't return.  However, I'll also admit I have been known to change my mind on my wat to a particular stand. I take a cell phone and have it in a pocket hoping that if I do get into a jam I'll be able to call.

Offline Tsalagi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 11:25:00 PM »
Excellent reminder.
Heads Carolina, Tails California...somewhere greener...somewhere warmer...or something soon to that effect...

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 05:38:00 AM »
I read this and then went out at midnight to do some trail camera work; and in the dark; fell down a hillside. I had to laugh afterwords when I stopped rolling and --- remembered this thread.

Then while looking for another trail camera ( in a bedding area) I found overturned rocks; and bear scat; and no camera. I walked in circles for an hour until (lucky for me the camera was not face down) the flash of the camera helped me find where the bears left it. Then I was thinking- OK: which way to the road?

tip of the hat to lpcjon2 !!!
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 11:43:00 AM »
Brian that's Murphy's law for ya.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »
You should also try and hunt with/near someone else.. I know lots of Us bow hunters just hunt alone. But it would be safer to have someone near just in case.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »
Brian,
If you will send me the GPS coordinates of that camera location (with the nearby bear)... If you see me in the area I'm just watching out for you...really I am!

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 06:25:00 PM »
Sound Wisdom!
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
TTT
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 09:50:00 AM »
My problem is that I don't hunt from a stand--like to slip in and stand in different locations depending on the wind and my mood.  I can tell the general vicinity but not the specifics of where I'll be.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline trapperzeke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 10:52:00 AM »
David, same with me.  Best I can do is leave a note on the fridge with where I'll be parked (and any alternate possibilities for the day), or a map of the area I'll be hunting.  I sometimes leave my cell # on a piece of paper visible through the windshield of my truck too.  I HATE having a cell phone on me while hunting, but it's a concession I made to my family.

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 01:51:00 PM »
Unfortunately my experience is that cell phones don't always work in the woods. If the area is on of those and you'll be on the hunting on the move you could leave a 2-way radio in your car and if they know where you parked and come looking for you they can use the radio to call you with.

Of course that assumes you didn't just take out a large life insurance policy and told your spouse...   ;)
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline Mike Gibbs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 02:34:00 PM »
Bread crumbs is the answer.  Always leave a trail of bread crumbs.  I read that somewhere.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©