3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ramin or Poplar?  (Read 1296 times)

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
Ramin or Poplar?
« on: January 09, 2007, 01:32:00 PM »
I'm going to start making my own small game, stumping and nutter arrows.  I need arrows spined in the 50 lb range.  I've noticed that the Atlas Dowel & Wood Products Company offers Poplar dowels 3/8's in bundles of 100 for a very reasonable rate.  They also sell Ramin at 5/16.  I would need to sand the 3/8's down to 11/32.  

Couple of questions:
-anyone have an opinion on the quality of Atlas?  dowels straight?  etc.
-are the 3/8's going to be way over spined even after they have been sanded down?
-are the Ramins relatively straight?  will they be underspined at 5/16?

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.
Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. -Mother Teresa

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ramin or Poplar?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 01:39:00 PM »
ramin, for small game and stumping. Poplar won't hold up.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 02:32:00 PM »
Unfortunately, ramin isn't being imported into the US because of a restriction on endangered species, or something. Likely the ramin you see is the last of it. Also, I think Atlas has a $75.00 minimum charge, which may influence your thinking. American Woodcrafters offers birch at $24.00/100, and you can order as few as 25. At that price, you can afford to lose/break a bunch.

That said, the 3/8" ramin I have seen spines roughly 80-100#. If you buy these, you can compensate by leaving them long anbd using a heavy point.

Luck!
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline The Ursus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 03:14:00 PM »
I ordered 3/8 ramin from Atlas a few years ago.  Except for the shafts that had funny knots and grain swirls they were all good servicable shafts.  I ordered 100 for about $35 after shipping at the time.  I think the price may have gone up since.

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 03:22:00 PM »
what do the 5/16 Ramins spine out to?
Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. -Mother Teresa

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 03:39:00 PM »
On average, about 45#. I have gotten some that were under 30#, and some that were 55#, but the average is around 45.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »
ramins: check out twig archery, he has ramins (pass through hardwoods) and his 5/16 go from 35-60lb
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 12:53:00 AM »
Thanks for the info...  Found a phone number for Twig Archery. Might have to give them a call.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©