3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Calling in predators with your mouth  (Read 572 times)

Offline Jason in Bama

• Trad Bowhunter
Calling in predators with your mouth
« on: May 14, 2007, 11:06:00 PM »
While playing golf at a local course recently, I was able to observe a gray fox in the edge of the woods trying to stalk and catch a squirral, he was unsuccessful ( I know how he felt!). Anyway with no one behind me I tried to see how close I could get to him. I got to within about 50 yards and he started moving away from me. I remembered, I think, seeing Fred Eichler attempt to call javalinas with his mouth by putting your hand to your mouth and sucking the air back between your lips. So with no other options I tried it. It worked. He came back to within 15 yards and held up there for about 10 minutes. By this time I had a group playing up behind me and had to go. When I got back to the cart and looked down the hill the fox was standing right where I had been. Just curious if anybody has done this successfully and had close encounters like I experianced.
Your sole purpose in life may be to serve as a warning to others.
The journey is the destination.

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Calling in predators with your mouth
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 01:10:00 AM »
Gray foxes can be called in like that pretty easily. Usually I call them in with a handcall, then when I try to lip squeak them in close. I've done a few gray foxes like that, and a couple of badgers like that, too.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 03:42:00 AM »
you would think that the fox would have been smarter than to try for a birdy on that hole...
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Peachey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 06:15:00 AM »
Just kiss the back of your hand, predator hunters call it the kiss of death.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 07:22:00 AM »
That's interesting, Peachey. I've messed around with my lips before but never heard that about the back of the hand. Easy to tote with ya too, huh? LOL.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 07:39:00 AM »
Kissing the back of your hand or just making the kissing sound will get the attention of predators.
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 07:43:00 AM »
I first practiced and used the simple "lip squeak" as a boy after reading that Ishi used that technique.

It works on all kinds of animals and is the most effective call I've ever used.

It's amazing how far a predator can hear the squeak.

This coyote met his maker after I spotted him skulking through the brush. A simple squeak on the back of my hand and he was on his way.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 08:09:00 AM »
Yep, I was standing along side Charlie when he squeaked in the coyote above. Good stuff right there! Remember the comaradrie of the moments after the yode fell very well. I've been using the same technique every since. I've used it on rabbits, hogs, and varmits all successfully. I only started trying it on varmits till I read about Ishi using the lip squeak on all game successfully.

Just a few months ago I lip squeaked in a fox on top of a Outdoor Show host while the cameras rolled. He shot and missed three times!!!!!!! Each time I'd back up and continue squeaking and the fox would come back out for another shot. Needless to say, the footage will never be aired. Good luck with the lip squeak Jason. It works better than any factory call ever could when used in proper timing. CK

Offline Jason in Bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 09:24:00 AM »
Curtis, it works on rabbits? Charlie, what kind of animals other than coyote have you been able to use it on.
Your sole purpose in life may be to serve as a warning to others.
The journey is the destination.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©