3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Still Hunting Public land SE Minn.  (Read 163 times)

Online Davt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Still Hunting Public land SE Minn.
« on: August 18, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
I am new to the SE Minnesota area, did the bulk of my bowhunting in Oregon. I enjoy still hunting, moving around a bit. I like to make a ground blind on occasion and have put up a tree stand or two but still hunting to me is the best. As I am new to the SE MN area and primarily hunt public land I want to be respectful of those who have put up tree stands and prefer to sit up in a tree. For those of you who hunt this area, how crowded is it? Any thoughts on areas where my type of hunting would be the best tolerated? Thanks for your input.
Dav

Offline Pete Arthur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Still Hunting Public land SE Minn.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »
I have a buddy who has land down in the far SE corner, but I haven't been able to hunt it.
I have fished it though, and from what I can tell, you should be able to hunt out of a ground blind as well down there as anywhere.
Strangely, I haven't seen many deer in my time fishing. I can't say why as the area does have a good population and my friend has taken deer with a shotgun.
I do intend to spend more time there as the country is beautiful!

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
Dav

SE Minnesota has a ton of public land. It is very rugged, steep bluffs, deep draws , fresh stream, lots of cover. Get your self a guide to Mn public lands. It gets hunted very hard during the gun season which is way too liberal. So most of November you will be hard pressed not to feel the pressure, But during October , while there are some bowhunters you should be able to find yourself some privacy. There are  a lot of squirrel hunters however so be prepared to move as they can ruin a good bow hunt.
Make a life, not a living

Online Davt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. It is also nice to hear that there are squirrels around. Perhaps it is time to get a Cooper squirrel rifle as well.
Dav

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©