3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone know a economical leather tanner or a how to?  (Read 196 times)

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone know a economical leather tanner or a how to?
« on: August 18, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
I am elk hunting shortly, would like to have the hide tanned and use the leather for several things as mementos, such as gloves, tabs, knife sheaths, possible bags, quivers and so on. I am looking for an affordable, reputable tanner or a good tutorial on how to do it myself. All help appreciated,
samuel koger

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone know a economical leather tanner or a how to?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 10:15:00 PM »
I remember reading in a book written by Bob Munger about Fred Bear, in which the Eskimo women used to urinate on the hides, then chew it.  I guess it all depends on how economical you want to be with it I guess.  To me, it might be worth a couple buck to not have to brush for a couple hours straight.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 09:47:00 AM »
The deer hides that I tanned compared to the ones I sent out to have tanned are a world of difference. On an elk I would defiantly send it out to be done. Check with your local taxidermist.....stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by Grapes:
 I remember reading in a book written by Bob Munger about Fred Bear, in which the Eskimo women used to urinate on the hides, then chew it.  I guess it all depends on how economical you want to be with it I guess.  To me, it might be worth a couple buck to not have to brush for a couple hours straight.  
:scared:  There ain't nothing right about that, nothing...
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 10:26:00 AM »
braintan.com
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 11:31:00 AM »
okay, bottom line is that if this dumb college kid can get quality leather from doing it myself  . . . anyone can do it. Check out Wasco, and Van Dykes Taxidermy supply for materials, they have tons of books and DVDs on tanning.  I personally have the Complete book of tanning skins and furs that I purchased from 3rivers forever ago.  The book was definitely written by an older individual because one of the tanning methods can basically no longer be done because of the difficulty of obtaining sulfuric acid. Other than that the tanning processes and chemicals are the same . . . hope this helps!

One last thing to consider, although tanning at home can be cheaper, nothing during the tanning process is easy and their are no short cuts . . . its hard work!
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline Northwoods

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 12:34:00 PM »
for economy, you can't beat braintanning.  minimal equipment needed but lots of elbow grease.  I'd second the recommendation for braintan.com for the how-to.

Ted
Be strong and of good courage, do not be afraid or be dismayed for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go - Joshua 1:9

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©