3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Article by G Fred in the new TBW.. please re-read with a better explanition on pg 3  (Read 2447 times)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Its Fred telling us what he thinks, selling stories to a magazine.  You don't have to agree. .  in part or at all.

There is room on this earth (so far at least) for white kids and black kids and yellow kids and green kids. . .  and bowhunters too, traditional and otherwise.

You know, I really wish Webster's would put in a definition so we can all agree on what it really means.   Hmmm  I think I will write a letter..

ChuckC

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I could care less what G Fred says. He says I have to shoot left handed too, wrong!
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Mike Gibbs

• Trad Bowhunter
If you need gadgets, use them.  If you must have a technological advantage, go for it.  If you don't need them and still use them, you are diminishing the challenge, which can't be anything but your intended purpose.  I don't think anyone really cares what you use, they just like to make fun of you for doing it, and the little piece of truth contained in their elitist statements is that you are not doing it the hard way, and they are.  

Driving a motorized vehicle to the hunt location is an absurd argument.  It's what you do in the woods after you get there that brands you in the minds of others for what type of hunter you are.  Such attituted do not hurt you; you could and should continue your way.  

For all the attitutes, opinions, and comments, it still comes down to the difficulty level a gadget user faces, as compared to a hunter who scorns such aids.  

Practicality and safety devices don't facilitae the taking of game, unless you abuse those devices, i.e. cellphones.  ("Hey Bart, there's a deer coming down the ridge toward you.")  There's no safety reason to put up trail cams or to put out food plots.  But if that's your thing, if that's how you enjoy your time afield, it matters not what others think. There are too many deer  most places anyway.  Heck, shoot 'em out of a helicopter with a bazooka, I don't care, but don't label your methods as hunting skill.  Your skills are lacking if you need devices.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Danny Rowan...well said   :biglaugh:  I should be shoot'n left handed also. I still like his wife's wool shirts!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
I ride an ATV from camp to the trailhead when I hunt elk. I guess that is not 'trad'. I like GPS devices, because I'm not crazy about getting lost. I guess that is not 'trad'. I just got a personal locator beacon, because I hunt wild, rugged country alone and if i get injured, I might like some help getting out. Guess I should just put a note on my frozen body like the mountain man in Jeremiah Johnson, and let the next guy pry my longbow from my fingers. I even use steel broadheads and plastic nocks. I must need to go back to 'trad' school.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
A lot of the responses are refreshing here and why I find myself spending more time at Trad Gang.  There is too much at many sites of "my way is the only way and if you dont do my way you are a lesser person"....Get over yourself!!!

Anyhow I like many of G. Freds articles and have books and dvds but disagree here.  I personally dont use GPS (unless in bigger woods), ATV, my cell phone to alert others of game or some of the other items discouraged as "easy".  

I do use trail cams and my cell phone.  

But for differently than he described in the article for my laziness.  

I would love to live in the middle of farm land or the woods and scout everynight after dinner.  But due to supporting a family have to work and live in the city my closest spot to hunt is a hour and 20 minutes away.  Throw in 45 to 55 hours of work, 2 kids under 8 y/o school and sporting events all equals less time in the woods than I would like!
Enter trail cam it keeps me in the woods all year even if I can only scout and stump a couple times a month due to my location.
Cell phone as mentioned from others if I fall out of a treestand and am hanging from my safety harness (maybe I shouldnt use cause its not trad enough and real men fall out of trees!)comes in handy.  
Also I own my own business so those of you who have run your own business realize that you never have a off day and problems arise that employees wont take care of and unfortunately the phone is needed so disgruntled clients can be taken care of by the boss.

I think this do it my way only or dont do it is a reason for hunter numbers to drop!  
Just my opinion and useage your miles may vary
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
It has always been my hope that certain forms of woodcraft and skill would be preserved in some corner of hunting. Something reflective of the higher ideals and principles of the  hunt, and perhaps a nod to those who came before.

Things like map and compass use, basic survival skills, and a bit of thirst for adventure. While there is no need to suffer needlessly, a certain air of the unknown, and the mystery of what lies over the next hill without a guarantee is part of what makes the wilderness great.

If we want to pry kids off of the couch and away from the world of video games and texting, we won't do it by offering mundanity.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
Owlbait,  After P&Y slapped TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS after the Madison, WI convention why would we care what they think.  We ALL should be entering our animal in Compton not Allen and Jennings.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
Lot of good points by everyone. It is nice to have those that maintain the historical perspective to ground how many of us want to approach this lifestyle. Ultimately I determine what satisfies and inspires me for the best experience I can have as a participant in the natural world.

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
Gents, this thread is getting a little pejorative...

There is no doubt that there are elitists in trad bowhunting.  There is no doubt that there are blood-thirsty techno "arrow-launching-device" hunters as well... I think the essence here is that folks choose to hunt how they choose to hunt.  IMHO, the more technology you use, the more you diminish the hunting experience itself.  I would not choose to use an ATV (though in CT its not really necessary).  I do not use GPS (again in CT, walk straight for a bit and you WILL hit a road or house eventually).  I do not think that folks using technology for the sole purpose of more easily killing, well, I am not sure that is trad... by more easily killing I mean sacrificing woodsmanship and interaction with Nature for technology that takes you out of the woods.

This mainly because trad is TRADITIONAL, meaning the way it used to be done.  But again, this is JUST MY OPINION.  And keep in mind that I have hunted with compounds in the past (a fast one too).
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline yukon chuck

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Truly traditional bowhunters wouldn't be involved in this debate anyway. They wouldn't be on the computer utilizing technology to visit this site. The unfair advantage gained by the sharing of information via the Internet is absolutely not trad.
That being said...shoot what is legal and ehical, but most importantly remember to HAVE FUN.
>>>--TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Longbow Association
Yucketsville Buffalo & Cricket Association

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle". -Plato

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
I am who I am & I don't really care who likes it or not.

Out to a certain distance which is also up to my max hunting distance I'm mostly a split vision shooter but beyond that I gap aim because I do see the point of my arrow so to me why not.

I use a GPS when ever I'm tracking a shot animal, you can return to a known location just by going in reverse on those things & it does help but otherwise it stays in the truck.

I'll grab my Arctic Cat 300 ATV to help me get my deer & any others that is out there for my buddies because I like to go a long distance from my truck & that's a lot of hauling when many a times I'm alone, but it too stays in the bed of my truck till I need it.

Now the cell phone issue, I'm on the fence with that one because I don't mind letting a hunting partner know that there is a deer coming his/her way when it was out of my range but in any other aspect of them I tend to leave mine in my pocket till I may need it to get help.

In my thoughts it should be up to the person on what technique, or technology they take & use during a hunt because just like our ancestors did, when there was something better that worked for them come out they used it to the best of their abilities.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
It is rediculous that any hunter should feel like they should have to ask if they are traditional enough.  We see it here and it is embarrassing that we have created such an environment.  It is sad that when someone may be picking up a recurve for the first time after ditching the compound or a rifle, that they feel enough pressure to ask if we will approve of them.  

I hope his article encourages people to embrace the challenges and rewards of a simpler style of hunting and not simply bashing technology or insulting those that may elect to use it.  We are all hunters tapping into the past and loving the challenge at what ever stage we may find ourselves.  

I was flipping through Caveman Magazine and you can't believe the rants in there about us traditional archers.  The thought that we would fling an arrow at a defenseless animal is appalling when we could be reeeaaally traditional and just sneak up on them and wack them over the head with a club.  I guess we have a long way to go and aren't very traditional at all.

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
Someone on here has a signature that says, "As trad as I wanna be."  I think that speaks to the mindset of most everybody on here.

I shoot a recurve with carbon arrows and feathers.  Not real trad according to some, plenty trad for me.  I'm happy for anyone that shoots a trad bow or self bow or even a compound and enjoys it.  After all, its their choice what they shoot and if they are having fun who am I to tell them they are wrong in their equipment choices.

I do not dress up like robin hood or the guys on "The Holy Grail" and go to renaissance fairs.  Some people do and if they like that kind of hobby/lifestyle, more power to them.  I don't use trail cams cause their expensive, lighted nocks are illegal in WA, and if I can't afford a trail cam I definately can't afford an atv.  If someone can and uses all of the above and it is legal.  Thats their choice.  I would probably use all of the above for one thing or another but never all of them all the time.  As far as cell phones and gps units, if you have ever been lost lost, like I was once several years ago with no cell phone or gps, you would welcome any form of electronic assistance out there and worry about the trad police later.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
I know G. Fred uses binoculars. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the Native Americans had them. I shoot a longbow and aluminum arrows, fingers and no sight but I do have a GPS and trail cameras. I say to each his own.
bolong

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
I sure do like G Fred and respect his opinion. it doesn't bother me his view of bowhunting is sometimes a little off course than mine. I hunt for myself so does he......sadly Lee and Tiffany carry more weight in bowhunting culture than our ole guards ....that's reality that the Outdoor channel has dealt us.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
Pope and Young, Compton's, SCI, whatever... they have guidelines or rules  to follow to enter your animals. Using a cellphone to AID IN THE TAKING of an animal would be a violation of some organizations rules. I don't think any of them say that safety was an issue. I like a compass not GPS. Trad or tech it doesn't matter, a compass has never failed me, a gps has. So if you disagree with GFA or agree with him, will it change what you do? No. But at least it mattered enough to make you think about it. Just don't get your loinclothes or panties in a bunch about it.  :bigsmyl:    :D
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
I would also like to see you guys posting the petroglyphs of your hunts.  Out with those pesky digital cameras.

I think it is always good to evaluate how we hunt and his article has spurred a valid discussion.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm just curious. Have all of you who have posted actually read the article?  Or am I the only one still waiting for the most recent issue?
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by Whip:
I'm just curious. Have all of you who have posted actually read the article?  Or am I the only one still waiting for the most recent issue?
To be honest I'm responding to this thread & have not recieved my copy of TBH yet.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©