3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Article by G Fred in the new TBW.. please re-read with a better explanition on pg 3  (Read 2448 times)

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
Guys

Guess I should have went on a bit.. I was actually asking those who may have had a chance to read the article... Fred was saying that trail cameras may in some way be equated to High Fence hunting, ie taking the guess work out of hunting a specific area.  In that, one knows before hand that the deer is in the area and that we just need to find him or wait for him to walk by.. as to cell phones, no mention was made as to carrying them for safety reasons ...but for their use as in a hand held radio of alerting a person that you may be hunting with, of "a deer comming your way".

These were the specific issues I had been considering when I first started this post   :wavey:      :coffee:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
I thought the question was about our thoughts regarding the different technologies and that you really didn't support their use.

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by L. E. Carroll:
Guys

Fred was saying that trail cameras may in some way be equated to High Fence hunting, ie taking the guess work out of hunting a specific area.  In that, one knows before hand that the deer is in the area and that we just need to find him or wait for him to walk by.. as to cell phones, no mention was made as to carrying them for safety reasons ...but for their use as in a hand held radio of alerting a person that you may be hunting with, of "a deer comming your way".

These were the specific issues I had been considering when I first started this post    :wavey:        :coffee:  
Agree giving the heads up via phone or walkie talkie not too sporting but in full disclosure I hunt by myself so I hope I dont start calling to alert myself or I have more issues to add to the list!  :biglaugh:  

The trail cam to high fence disagree, those animals many times are passing through and not guaranteed in the area like a high fence enclosure.
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
I don't have the magazine yet and so have not read the article.  However, I don't look at burgeoning technology and changing "hunting" practices as as a trad, non-trad issue, though it could be viewed in those terms, but rather one of fair chase.  And most of the newer technology further tips the scales in our favor, and they're already heavily weighed in that direction.  

For example, ATVs allow folks to get where they wouldn't or couldn't go on foot, at least not in the same amount of time.  In short, they are eliminating any sanctuary cover animals may have.

Game cameras tell us where and when to hunt. Without them, you wouldn't know that Mr. Big passes by that broken down Oak tree about 4 p.m. most afternoons.  More than likely you wouldn't even know he's there without a camera.

GPSs also tend to reduce the sanctuary of the game hunted, because before their use, many folks wouldn't or couldn't go deep enough to find the game, or get back to it easily.

The list goes on. In deciding to use or not use a new piece of technology and/or hunting practice (baiting and food plots, for example) I ask myself, does it tip the scales away from the balance of fair chase.  If it does, I don't use it.     :archer2:

Offline bigiron

• Trad Bowhunter
my trail camera has'nt harvested a single deer yet. am i doing something wrong ? do'nt know how to load it i guess. now where did i put those instructions. magazines are made to sell.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
:deadhorse:    :deadhorse:    :deadhorse:
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
Who the heck is "Lee and Tiffany"?
Gary Logsdon

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
I say AMAN to vtmtnman's post!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline arky714

• Trad Bowhunter
Hay Iam in my loin cloth..trying to get a fire going so I can talk on the forum by smoke signal, but my sticks are not being rubbed fast enough.Also I can't find any flint to make broadheads,my arrows are supposted to be made out dogwood and can't find any.My tepee is leaking this traditional archery is tuff..

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
At risk of alienating EVERYBODY..... well except maybe Orion cause I really feel the same way.  

We all have the right to do what we want. You wanna use all that technology go for it.  I have no right to say you can't (yet anyway).  But this appears to be typical of this generation, and yeah you don't have to be 20 to be included.

We as human beings have tended to make machines and technology do all of our work. Make it easy, make it fast.  Some of us really want to do it ourselves.  Some of us get pride in doing it our way, our selves.  You get your kicks your way. .  go for it.  I will do it my way.  

I do not ride a quad to my tree, though I have one and have used it in Wyoming in place of a truck, to get to another area away from the rest of the group (who were in the truck) and park along the road to walk in... I don't own a trail camera, I am making a food plot on my property, but I am not gonna hunt over it. .  its for the critters.  I am not better than you, but I do what I do cause that entertains me and makes me feel good.

Some folks appear to be complaining about the Trad Police..  it goes both ways.  You know, the original modern iteration of the term  "traditional" in archery meant using a bow that is not a compound bow,  that's it... it had nothing to do with me wearing leather or plaid, or sending smoke signals, riding a mule to work or any of that silly stuff.  It was a way to distinguish between the stuff compound toters do and what we tend to do.  That's what Compton's is all about.

It remains that there are levels of immersion into this endeavor. . into hunting...  go as deeply as you want and let others do their own thing.

Fred is a writer... his job, or that part of it is to write stories that entertain in some fashion and maybe to get us to think.  

Agree, disagree, whatever, but this has sure been entertaining.  I guess what he wrote worked.

ChuckC

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by ChuckC:
At risk of alienating EVERYBODY..... well except maybe Orion cause I really feel the same way.  

We all have the right to do what we want. You wanna use all that technology go for it.  I have no right to say you can't (yet anyway).

ChuckC
No one is saying they want to use "all that technology". We're just saying that people should lighten up just a bit about knocking such things as carbon arrows and, quoting G. Fred in one of his ads, "fancy aiming systems", trail cams(which most people I know use as entertainment and to see if any big bucks actually live where they hunt), and such things as GPS devices, which aren't they really just compasses with batteries?
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Why ?   They are talking and saying what they believe.  Why should what they believe be any less sincere than what you believe ?

It is just talk.  You believe Black Widow bows are awesome, I think they are just bows (note. .  I just made that up, I have no idea if you really like BW bows).

It is just talk.

ChuckC

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
Do I qualify as more traditional if my truck doesn't have air conditioning?

;)
Twist it up, don't pluck, marinate then grill.

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
These folks with self imposed  restraints, doing what they enjoy, and loving their time in the wood are doing it the right way. They do it because they like it. I have my own restraints, I live by. I use a GPS to find my blind before daylight. I carry a cell phone due to a bad heart but I still walk from the road to my hunting area. The most important thing is I do NOT impose my feelings on anyone except myself. How you go through life is between you and your God.

God Bless and have a safe season.  Jerry
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I just want to clarify some on my earlier post...

I have not read the article yet nor am I slamming G Fred Asbell.I enjoy his articles.It just ircks me when ever we get started on the whole what is trad/is there to much tech thing.

It's not religion,it's a method of hunting.I'm not giving up my wheeler,GPS,Carbons,cell phone or anything else just to be more trad.If any of you are you have my respect.I do find myself slowly regressing in archery.Recurve/compound/recurve...carbons-tin cans-woodies.Next will be a selfbow at some point.I think by the time I die I will be using rocks to kill deer.  :D  

Let's all go hunting already.You can tell it's off season for us all.  :campfire:    :archer:
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
i use what works and do not give a damn what others use to be successfull in thier hunting techniques.i am not in the least a people worshipper and hunt the way that best works for me.to each his own i say.jmtc.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I haven't received my issue yet, so haven't read the article yet.  But from all the discussion here, I think I'm getting a pretty good idea about the article.

Let's be honest.  The reason why trail cams, gps, cell phones, lighted nocks, etc. were invented was to make life (and hunting) easier. If they didn't make things easier and increase your odds of success there wouldn't be a market for them and they wouldn't exist.

I'm not busting on folks who use such devices as long as it's legal and ethical.  "Legal" is written in the game laws.  Ethical is up to the individual and will vary from place to place and hunter to hunter.  If you're using your cell phone to alert others to game movement in real time, to me that is unethical.  If your putting a waypoint into your gps to mark a scrape or rub line, that is no different than penciling in an X on a topo map - just a different media.

Like I said I haven't read the article yet, but I think I will tend to agree with G Fred for the most part. And the I totally agree with the post from Daz on page 2 of this thread.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Sant-Ravenhill

• Trad Bowhunter
My biggest beef is with ATV's. I see them everywhere here in Montana. By everywhere I mean in posted and closed to motor vehicles wilderness areas.

A big state, very little law enforcement, and even when you report it, the report just disappears.

As far as the rest, I know lots of people that are digital natives. Especially those under age 30. They would rather be dead than not have at least 5 electronic devices with them at any given time.

I would not be the least surprised to see someone with their laptop, Blackberry etc., on stand or in their ground blind, busy accessing the internet, texting or playing games or???

You should hear the moans and groans from scouts when they can't have their electronics with them on a camping trip.

To me, you really lose the whole bowhunting/nature experience when you have to be connected constantly.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Use what you want to use, and shoot what you want to shoot. If it legal and ethical, nobody has a right to pass judgement. It goes back to the old argument that periodically comes around as to what is traditional and what is not. Guys, it just ain't no big deal. One thing, though, is I am now looking forward to reading G. Fred's article.
Sam

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Whip you  need to get the digital subscription!

I think Fred makes some very valid points.
  Perhaps its hitting too close to home for some ?

We all tend to get lazy, admit it. I think the article is well timed and give me lots of food for thought.

I think I'll go scouting now instead of setting out a camera to do it for me...............
Make a life, not a living

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©