3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Article by G Fred in the new TBW.. please re-read with a better explanition on pg 3  (Read 2449 times)

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
not going in the woods or up a tree without my cell phone. To easy for something to go wrong and not have any communication.

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
Like others, I have not received my mag so I have not read the article. Knowing G. Fred though, I would say he is referring to using these so called "modern gadgets" as an unfair advantage for the taking of an animal. We can all use a GPS, an ATV, a cell phone, trail cam, or anything else without using it unethically. For instance, I have a close friend who was hunting by himself last winter. He fell as he was getting on his treestand and broke both legs. Believe me, he was very glad he had a cell phone.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
Wow! THAT IS A SUBJECT TO START A CONVERSATION! considering the BIG BANG as the begining.Everything on earth comes from the same single thing? right? if human are from god (or whatever), our legs were god(or whatever) given,then what about the stuffs human has invented? Are'nt they related? For what purpose? Is it fairchase? What do you feel inside? Where are you at with degree of personal goal? Are you looking for easier or harder? Do you respect others choices? what is the best way to bring others? By imposing? I questions myself the more often i can and try to use the mirror,relating to bowhunting,fatherhood,frienship,work etc etc... gee i love shootin arrows and watch them fly. love you folks
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
How does using a lighted nock make it easier to hunt an animal?

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I think using  cameras is cheating but I LOVE the pics folks post. So I guess I really don't care about cameras. I believe using phones/radios is illegal while going after game, not just communicating position etc. Again, cheating in my opinion and I don't use cameras and don't use electronics to discuss game locale. So if others do it, well I guess I don't care that much, I just see it as not really just using the best of our more natural ability I guess. I kind of really just agree with Barta (thought I would never say that). Do it the right way and the way that makes u proud of what u have accomplished and who u are when u look in the mirror. That IS a good test in my opinion. But I am not one to say "you can't because I don't".

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Besides, isn't it just damn exciting when a buck or whatever shows up and just answers your question "do I know what I am doing and am I a good hunter?" NOT a shooter, but hunter! It really is when u have worked for it and don't know by camera footage that you are on the right trail and reading the signs right! It really is a great feeling to succeed without help. Here in lower peninsula of MI there is no more deer baiting and boy is the game changing for hose that like to make it easy. Now you actually have to get out and hunt .... Is that a bad thing? I say NO

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
I guess I must not be much of a hunter, because hunting with any kind of stick bow and any kind of arrow is tough for me. I really have to work at it. I haven't used much in the way of trail cams or GPS's to figure out where the deer are or aren't. I do use a GPS to figure out where I am and how to get back to camp! Those things can save your life. The trail cam pictures I have looked at from my friends' trail cams are mainly used to know what potential there is in an area and what we should be holding out for, not for tracking a particular deer or figuring out where to hunt. I think I can do a better job of reading the signs in the woods than just depending on pictures. The only way I know to figure out where to even put a trail cam is to know from the deer sign where they are traveling. I do use mobile phones to call my friends to come pick me up or to tell them I need help with a deer I shot if I got lucky, which I usually don't. I guess there are guys who try to figure out some unethical way to use these technologies to hunt, but I doubt there are many of them here on TradGang.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
Pretty interesting stuff . Well need to go reload some shells for them ground squirrels. Hunters need to stick together now more than ever anties could care less what you hunt with. We are all evil in thier eyes.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
thing is - we all live in different areas; with different issues and situations.
 One person here implied its stupid to hunt without a cell phone- well there is no cell phone coverage here - so why does carrying one make me smart?
 I don't hunt one spot; one farm; one 100 acre bit of land- I hunt an area that is huge; with all kinds of different habitat.
 The weather has been different this year - more than ever before; the game are moving differently; and in different areas; and there is mr wolf out there: confusing things even more.

I remember a long time ago - when my observations about deer vocalizations were laughed at- ( a buck snort is the result of a hunter eating too many beans - does snort - but deer make NO other noises).

I remember talking to a friend about how smart the whitetails were; and another guy walking up and telling us we were fools; because deer were animals and " animals don't think!".

Now see that guy grew up on his great grampas farm; and in doing the planting and harvesting and such- upon a fenced in five square mile acreage of farm land-- over time-- had figured out where to sit to shoot a big buck.

And by god and golly if you didn't shoot a  big buck in the first ten minutes of light- you were no hunter !!

Everyone went to the bar and burned their doe tags - because it was just plain stupid to shoot a doe; well not stupid; but it was more like being a communist.

Putting out a trail camera and seeing what animals are in an area; it is fascinating to me; and yet I do not believe it will help me take a deer.

Oh yeah the Lakowskis can put up a 100 trails cameras on their sections of private land; and come up with big deer ranged at 60 yards; with their bows they carry into the woods in bras - and wear scent proof clothing 30 feet up in a tree. They are getting more and more boring- and insulting the average person that hunts public land.

In my traditional bowhunting I try and keep it simple; I am not shooting a self bow; I do not have the opportunity to have a bow come apart and make another - because our seasons are not year around like the native americans were.

So - I have fiberglass on my bow to insure it won't break.

I make my own wood arrows; practice a lot; scout with binoculars; look for tracks; look for deer; elk and bear sign; and I am hunting to my potential.

I for one remember when Asbell didn't carry a years worth of emergency food in the form of  belly fat with him on his traditional bowhunts.    :bigsmyl:  

I remember him glueing razor blades onto his broadheads for more cutting area- the Indians didn't do that did they Fred?

I think Alaskas HAARP must be running; we are biting at ourselves over nothing.

I think it is fine to draw lines in the sand about our conduct in the field; and about our equipment limitations.

But really - sitting all day in a woodlot in Iowa is NOT like hunting all day in the mountains; and to put limitations on anything other than using common sense and the adherence to the main thought of what traditional bowhunting is - is fair to one and not to another.

Chewing on Freds leg for expressing his beliefs is not right; his trying to help us and traditional bowhunting is a good thing.
  And all Fred has been doing is trying to help us get the most from our experiences traditional bowhunting.

Lets not shoot the messenger.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
Another TGer and I will be in Alaska in 2 weeks. This thread got me thinking:

We'll be carrying or using...

Mapping GPS
GMRS Radios
Satellite Phone
Digital Cameras
Digital Camcorders
Sitka Gear
Kifaru Gear
Ultra-modern Longbows
Electric Fence
Super Cub Airplane

Doesn't sound very "trad" does it?

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
Asbell is right... So is Barta...

Looking for and buying every "advantage" is a personal thing driven by the TV "pro-hunters" Lee & Tiff and of course Waddell and many others.  

I went traditional (many years ago) because I grew weary of all the gadgets.

Spend your money and have a great time bowhunting. More power to you but remember you don't NEED all that stuff!  Being a better than average bowhunter is about experience and woodsmanship...
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
G Fred writes great   hunting stories

Offline Claymore

• Trad Bowhunter
Gene you do what you need to do. Why kill oneself just to drag a deer the traditional way. I also carry a cell phone in case I get hurt or ill. G Fred is not wearing a coon skin cap.
Don Dow 37@30
HH Cougar 38@30
Hoyt Excel 38@30

Offline term

• Trad Bowhunter
I don't remember the gun hunters telling us that shooting a 70's model compound was to easy. As some have eluded to, let's all walk to Alaska and hunt.We don't live in a traditional society. Most of us have jobs that we be at point A at the same time every day. I don't own a scouting camera but if a farmer told me that he had seen a big deer in a spot 2 or 3 days in a row, should I feel bad if I set up and hunt him since I didn't find him? I would love to scout all year but if I want time off to hunt I can't spend all of it scouting. I am a very simple man that just wants to hunt in a way that makes me happy.
Still looking for something I might of forgot.

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by John3:
Asbell is right... So is Barta...

Looking for and buying every "advantage" is a personal thing driven by the TV "pro-hunters" Lee & Tiff and of course Waddell and many others.  

I went traditional (many years ago) because I grew weary of all the gadgets.

Spend your money and have a great time bowhunting. More power to you but remember you don't NEED all that stuff!  Being a better than average bowhunter is about experience and woodsmanship...
Amen Brother!!
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Fred simply suggests that we each think about it.  He's not necessarily condemning these things.

This topic has caused some strong responses.  I wonder why that is?

We're all free to hunt as we decide to.  We don't have to answer to anyone really, just ourselves.

todd
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
Everyone sees through different eyes.In the 50 or so years I have enjoyed Bowhunting,the greatest harm to Bowhunting has been what Fred has promoted for so long.Who can kill the biggest animal,which leads to who has the most money wins.I started bowhunting when the one with the lease money usely won.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
I have an "on line subscription" to Traditional Bowhunter Magazine. I wonder if reading it on line is "Traditional"?? LOL
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Offline K-Mac

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunt with what makes it enjoyable. that's what Fred does and that's what I do.
PBS Associate member

Offline gregk

• Trad Bowhunter
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I like using a trail camera, not so much for scouting but, to me, its kinda like hunting in the off-season. I get excited when I check the camera and see i have pictures on it. Alot of times its just squirrels or raccoons, but its still exciting to me to check the camera. I would also use a gps. I have read David Petersen and now G. Fred Asbell dont agree with using them, thats their opinion. I respect them both very much, they have probably forgotten more about bowhunting than i know. Live and let live i guess.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©