3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: cover scent  (Read 173 times)

Offline dcmeckel

• Trad Bowhunter
cover scent
« on: August 19, 2010, 08:00:00 AM »
Here is a cover scent I make, works GREAT.
Pull plant leaves,grasses,tender woody shoots,even bark,anything from the place you hunt.
Place all in a pot on the stove(I prefer stainless) and cover with DISTILLED water.
Bring to a boil and then turn the heat off.Stomp the veggies down now and then while you let it cool down.Put a lid on it.When it's cold,strain it through a couple layers of cheese cloth.Put the liquid in a spray bottle.Keep refrigerated,lasts about a month.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: cover scent
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 08:35:00 AM »
I am sure it makes an oder familiar to the deer.
But it simply gives them something else to smell along with your scent. Deer are capable of processing several scents at once - you cannot hide one with another from them.

Offline dcmeckel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »
SteveB-I have heard that elsewhere,and I'm quite sure that would include products bought at the local sporting goods store.My point is ,this is something you can make at home,or even out in the field.Unless you are willing to hunt out of a bubble,real Hunters know you're not going to fool that nose EVERY time.This is simply a good alternative.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
I put my clothes in bags with crushed vegetation from my hunting area. Or wood chips from logging locations around the hunting area.  I do believe it helps calm the animals and if your clean and use no scent soap can help cover your overall scent pattern.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©