3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Not Enough Time Left!  (Read 299 times)

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Not Enough Time Left!
« on: August 19, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
What a crazy last couple of weeks it has been.  I've been having a lot of fun with 3 new trad shooters getting them ready for hunting season.  Between making back quivers for target shooting and rabbit hunting, bow quivers for big game hunting, and side quivers to carry judo's and back up arrows the evenings have been busy.  Throw in bow tuning sessions, making up 8 dozen new wood arrows for the guys and their kids, and now tuning a bow for one of the wives it has been a fun and busy time.

This weekend will be no different.  Everyone is coming over on Saturday for final broadhead tuning and some late afternoon deer scouting.  To make things even better I have a buddy from work who had decided he is interested in Trad.  He plans to come over and shoot the different bows to see if he likes recurves or longbows better and then plans to buy a bow and get started.

Sunday is dedicated to visiting some of my prime elk spots to verify they are running those areas again this year and Sunday evening will be spent glassing a big blacktail buck I found two weeks ago.  I am watching his patterns to see where to sit in ambush.  He lives down by a local lake on public area and moves to private farm fields  fields to feed at dark.  I am going to get one or maybe two chances at him right as season starts and then he will go nocturnal.  If I miss him then, I will get back on him in November during the rut.  

It is going to be a great year and hunting camp is going to be a lot bigger than normal.  Throw in the first full weekend of early elk Bjorn is coming up from Cali. and another trad ganger will be hunting there as well.  This is going to be a great hunting season!
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Not Enough Time Left!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 10:48:00 AM »
Please keep us updated.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Icandraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 11:43:00 AM »
I think it's great when people like you go out of their way to help someone new to trad archery! I remember how it was a few short years ago when I got interested in shooting and hunting trad bows. I was privilaged to have several experianced guys to help me get started and teach me. I'm still learning, but I'm looking forward to being able to return the favor one day and help some one else get started. I think thats what its all about!  :thumbsup:

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 12:52:00 PM »
Sounds like fun to me.

I wish I were there to add to the mix.

Good luck and good hunting.

Have a good and Godly day!

Your Humble Servant
Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
Mudd,

Your always welcome in my camp.  If your ever on the West Coast give me a call and I will put you on some Elk and Blacktail.  Cougar and Bear are also available in my area.

Tonight I am finishing up 5 side quivers and then it is on to finish bow quivers tomorrow night.  Lots of work and good practice for my leather working skills.
Clay Walker

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »
Thank you!

Keep up the good work!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline bigiron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »
nothing is more fun than helping someone on the road to trad hunting or shooting.

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »
doesnt sound like a bad way too spend my time
i like biscuits

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
Sounds awesome!

Good luck!
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
Way to go Clay!! Looking forward to sharing a campfire with you in a couple of weeks.   :thumbsup:    :campfire:

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
Bjorn,

It is game on for the Elk come September.  I have been out to the coast twice and seen elk and deer both times.  I thought I got a glimpse of a big black bear last time but it was just a flash of black and then gone.  Did our buddy say when he was going to put the tents out at the campsite.  It fills up quick for that first weekend ( Labor Day ).  I am figuring out how much gear to bring along.  If three or more of us are camping we should figure out tents, stoves, etc... and maybe some food cost sharing to avoid mass redundancy in camp.
Clay Walker

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 12:37:00 PM »
They guys came over with all the kids and wives yesterday.  We went out to the Archery club and finished bare shaft to broadhead tuning their arrows.  I am picking up their broadheads today and will get them mounted on their best arrows ( wood ) tonight.  Then it is on to finishing up the bow quivers and final fletching of all the bareshaft arrows we used yesterday.  The guys are doing great and getting better with their shooting.

We went out to the spot I have been seeing a lot of deer and scouted a new part of it. I am staying away from the area with the big buck.  I don't want push him.  We saw lots of sign, and right at dark spent 30 minutes watching a fork horn feed thru a dry swamp area.    

I plan to head back out this evening to walk the new area and mark in bedding areas, funnels, trails etc... on my GPS.  I will post them up on my Google Earth page and then send them to the guys.  I am using Google Earth and the data I collect to help the guys learn how to pattern animals and research a new area to find them.
Clay Walker

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 01:15:00 PM »
Sounds like you're gonna make it on time Clay!

Way to work hard!  It will pay off.

Have a great 2010 hunting season!

Shoot straight, Shinken
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 02:04:00 PM »
Clay, 'our buddy' has been having computer problems and I did not hear back. I won't be arriving till sometime late on the 6th so havta' make do with whatever is left over-it will work out.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 03:36:00 AM »
Bjorn,  I am headed up there on the Thursday night before you get there.  I will call you and let you know where I am camped at and will save a spot for your tent. How big is your tent?
Clay Walker

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 04:07:00 AM »
good luck guys....i might put on a bigfoot suit and come scare the hell outta ya...  :D    :laughing:    :laughing:    :dunno:    :D  ....did i tell ya there is no season on bigfoot?
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
That would be super Clay, big tent for a big hunt!

It will take a big spot and I plan to be there till the 17th if that's what it takes.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »
Nice tent Bjorn,

I am pumped to get out there and enjoy the coastal rain forest.  I have Friday before elk starts thru Wednesday off and I may extend that to Thursday.  I am thinking I will probably come back down for the second weekend too.  

The guys were back over today.  We scouted some corn fields for deer and then headed to the range to fine tune their broadheads and bows.  Once that was done we shot a round of 3D.  A couple of new shooters joined us to shoot and see what bows they liked.

Then it was back to the house for broadhead tuning lessons, watching a couple elk hunting videos, and straightening those dozens of wood arrows I made over the last two weeks.  All in all it has been an awesome day and I am ready to get on the hunt.
Clay Walker

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©