3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who gets cell coverage where they hunt?  (Read 540 times)

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
Who gets cell coverage where they hunt?
« on: August 19, 2010, 12:49:00 PM »
Reading another thread got me to thinking, alot of you guys seem to get cell coverage wherever you hunt.  Is that true?  Not many of the places I hunt get service.  WE have to drive around for a while looking for that one spot where we fleetingly get a bar....  It was just an interesting thought to think of being able to send a pic of my bull right after hes down...or give a call to my wife at lunch.  Seems odd, out of place!  though it would likely be very welcome. 8-)

77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline Northwoods

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who gets cell coverage where they hunt?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 02:03:00 PM »
We don't get very good cell phone coverage from our house, let alone where I hunt.

Ted
Be strong and of good courage, do not be afraid or be dismayed for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go - Joshua 1:9

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »
Farm areas of southern Michigan where I hunt I get coverage at almost all my hunting spots.  Like someone else said too no GPS needed either if you walk straight for a mile you will hit a road!  Not as cool as where you are but its what I have to hunt.
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 02:09:00 PM »
Never checked, I try to escape the hectic aspects as much as possible while hunting. I just make sure my wife or hunting partner knows my location where I am hunting.
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 02:22:00 PM »
Like Elkbreath, not much coverage in our hunting areas unless your at one just outside of town, hunting the ag fields.  I carry one in the truck but I don't turn it on unless I get to a town that has cell coverage when coming home, to let my wife know that I will be home by whatever time.
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
No coverage on our mountain.  Can't get coverage within at least 20 miles and it's 40 miles to a fairly large town.  Went to one of the nearest ityy-bitty towns a couple years ago for supplies and there wasn't even coverage in that town.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
Pretty strange, but I got good signals in Area 201 here in Colorado, in the middle of nowhere. Closest town is Maybell, which is not really close, and not very big. Vernal, Utah, is about 50 miles or so,maybe that's where it's coming from.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 02:55:00 PM »
I have no coverage in my house.  Yet when I am 300 yards from the house in a stand, my coverage is great!
My husband climbs Colorado's 14ers.  He has coverage on a lot of his climbs.
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 04:03:00 PM »
Not me in southeast Ohio...

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
i do.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 04:23:00 PM »
I do.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »
I get full bars where I hunt and can see the blinking light on top of the tower on a mountain several miles away in the evening. I could call the land owner who lives on the property or 911 if I had an accident--that's sort of comforting when you get a bit older.   ;)
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
Got to get on the uphill side of the creek to have coverage where I hunt. Alway nice to call your hunting partner to come help you drag. But then again, that works both ways.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 06:10:00 PM »
Coverage is generally better out East than West. Cell phone is usually not of any value hunting in CA, but when scouting in SW WA two weeks ago we were getting reception. In OR I have had to drive 30 miles for cell coverage.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 06:26:00 PM »
I do. As a matter of fact I'm sitting in a lawn chair watching a soybean field at this moment. I really like having coverage while hunting as I can watch the radar while in the treestand.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
I dont when I hunt, but when i film m buddies i do.  I hunt western Maryland and leave the corn fed deer alone, if Im lucky I can get service on top of the mountains.  Here at home is where I film my buddies, one stand gets service pretty good, but this year we moved them and my buddy was not happy that he would not be able to talk to his "lady freinds" while on stand, lol.  He just aint right, lol
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »
I have spotty service in mine.I have to stand up and lean to the left and it will work enough to send a text or call.Can't move my head while talking though.

Very handy to silently send a text when you just put an arrow though one. :thumbsup:
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
Im with Big Ed dont really want it. If I get something I will photo it and send when I get time and a signal.

Offline brushcreek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
Most of us would rather leave everything but hunting at home ,but when I hunt alone or go out of state for a week or more I like to check in just in case. Sometimes that is just a 15 minute drive to the nearest hill or a 1 hour drive that maybe only 15miles.I have had both verizon and at&t.By far verizon works in more of the remote places.Just my .02
all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 08:59:00 PM »
My brother gets sometimes coverage, I don't carry that electronic tether with me when I'm hunting.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©