3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Number and Size of Coolers for Moose  (Read 318 times)

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
Number and Size of Coolers for Moose
« on: August 19, 2010, 01:50:00 PM »
It's approaching 20 years since I had any need for anything larger than one normal large cooler for wild game.  My elk addiction pretty much faded away after moving back east, after nine successful consecutive elk seasons in Colorado.  The three very large coolers that I used back then were given away (to another elk hunter) who had better use for them than I did at the time.

Which brings me to my current dilema.  I am going to keep a positive outlook for my upcoming moose hunt.....so I'm now in the market for some new coolers....much larger coolers than I currently have.

A question for you moose hunters that have transported your moose meat back home.  What size coolers did you use and how many?

I already know that driving time will be in the range of about 8 hours, since I'll be hunting about 50 miles from where we have a lake camp in Maine.  The outfitter uses a butcher that we are familiar with and his shop is very close to where our lake camp is.  So time in coolers is pretty much a non-factor and I have no worries about the meat thawing on the trip back home.

I'll make a broad assumption that there should be in the range of 300 to 375 pounds (at most) of cut up and frozen meat from an average size cow.

Prices have definitely gone up on coolers since the last time I purchased them.  It looks like a range of $90 for a standard 100 qt. to $630 (  :eek:  ) for that 420 qt. beast of a cooler from Cabelas (that they claim will hold a small bull moose with room to spare).

Any insight into what you folks think I'll need would be greatly appreciated.    :campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Number and Size of Coolers for Moose
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »
Don't know how many coolers you will need but do like the positive attitude!
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
I've hauled a bull elk about that size in 2 1/2 150 qt coolers.  It was boned,cut and wrapped and frozen.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 03:03:00 PM »
A bunch. The biggest. HA!

Seriously, though, I spoke to a guide about hauling moose home and he said a good sized moose would require approximately 400 quarts of cooler space boned out.

Expensive but you should check out the Yetti coolers. They make some BIG ones.

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 03:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by wingnut:
I've hauled a bull elk about that size in 2 1/2 150 qt coolers.  It was boned,cut and wrapped and frozen.

Mike
Thanks Mike......that's about what I was guessing.  I never got an elk that size, but I was always able to get all the meat home from the elk that I got in three 100 qt. coolers with lots of room to spare.
TGMM Family of the Bow

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »
Dusty.....you got that right.......Yettis are very nice...but at $750 for a single 250 qt. cooler   :scared:

I've still got sticker shock from what the local butcher up there wants to cut one up, seal it and freeze it.  :eek:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 03:24:00 PM »
Holy smokes! I was quoted a price of $600 for one of their coffin-style coolers which I thought was 300qts. Pricey! Be better if you had some buddies with whom you could split the cost.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
Go to a west marine or fishing tackle store you can get the big coolers cheap at the end of the season.or if your driving you can make your own.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
I have the 420 qt from Cabelas. It MIGHT hold one on the bone but will definately fill the bill if you can take the time to debone it.
I can bathe in mine!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »
Depends how much the Moose can drink....
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Biggie Hoffman:

I can bathe in mine!
Great. Now I need to poke out my mind's eye    :biglaugh:
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
Biggie,420qt

Isn't that a coffin?
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline levibear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 03:39:00 PM »
If you are driving, a truck would be nice, you could make one or two to your own size specs...Just some plywood and sheet foam insulation.   :wavey:
Never trade time for money, cause when your out of time money don't matter

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by levibear:
If you are driving, a truck would be nice, you could make one or two to your own size specs...Just some plywood and sheet foam insulation.    :wavey:  
That is what I would do.  That or put a freezer on a trailer with other equipment and take it along.  For the price of the coolers you are talking about you can buy a chest freezer.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 04:23:00 PM »
I used to take small chest freezers when I went out of state.  My only requirement was that it be 32" wide or less, that way I could get them into the hotel rooms.    :thumbsup:
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
You will need 2 150 qt coolers,Walmart has them for about 150.they will work great for what you have in mind.Been there done that.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »
I have this problem every year. For our Ontario moose (bulls only - we don't shoot cows)it takes 3x150qt to getr done. Check out cabelas online they have camping sale this week and the big big mother coleman 350qt that I paid $350.00 for is on sale for $100.00 off this week. Note if you fill it full of beer an ice it will take four of your closest + thirsty friends to even budge it.
hunt it

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 06:07:00 PM »
A few years ago, 6 guys brought home 6 moose in 2 chest freezers, boned out of course, from NFD. I think 8 of us are going this Oct. with 3 chest freezers and a generator.
You can get a good used chest freezer on craigslist or local sale for $50-75.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 08:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by Biggie Hoffman:
I have the 420 qt from Cabelas. It MIGHT hold one on the bone but will definately fill the bill if you can take the time to debone it.
I can bathe in mine!
Thanks Biggie...........It's always good to know about equipment that's "multi-purpose"!!!!  :laughing:  Since you drew a bull permit...it's good to hear that you should be all set.....at least for bathing while your up there and hauling all that meat back to GA.

Rob....don't think about Biggie's post....that "mental picture" will disappear in a day or two on it's own.........

Thanks guys.....some of you that replied about a chest freezer also reminds me of another thing.....my wife noted that we certainly have no room in our current upright freezer for even so much as half a moose.  So that's another "thing" that has to be addressed (if I'm successful).

I'll be driving a Suburban to Maine, so I don't really think I'll try to slide a chest freezer in there with all my other stuff.  Actually, the big honker Cablela's cooler that Biggie has looks like it's almost big enough to put a chest freezer to shame!

I'm actually leaning toward just getting a few large Igloo coolers like I used for elk....only a larger capacity. I really do like the idea of using one large cooler......but the prices certainly do make ya take pause.....then there's the previously noted issue of actually trying to move that bugger with 300 - 400 lbs. of meat in it.

I'll also check around with some of the local hunters to see if anyone has one or two sitting in a shed somewhere that they aren't planning to use this fall.  That would solve the issue of where to store them when not in use (which probably was the primary reason I gave my other coolers away).

Anyway....thanks for the feedback.  Like a hunting buddy told me the other night when I was discussing my "dilema"......"That's the least of your worries"  and something along the line of "Throw me in that briar patch"!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 08:48:00 AM »
Problem with the one big one idea is that, when you fill it with 350 pounds of meat. . . then what ?  Do you have a fork lift at home to get it out of the truck ?

I think slightly smaller coolers might be better.

We have done the chest freezer / generator thing and it does work well.  That would be my choice if I was driving.
ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©