3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk Arrow Placement?  (Read 456 times)

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
Elk Arrow Placement?
« on: August 19, 2010, 03:10:00 PM »
I was taught to shoot whitetails in the "crease" or "behind the shoulder". For the past couple of years I've been aiming straight up the leg and have witnessed devastating results.

Now, my first elk hunt is fast approaching and I'm questioning aiming straight up the leg due to that massive shoulder blade looming just to the north.

What's your opinion?

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk Arrow Placement?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 03:26:00 PM »
Dusty

Just my opinion, but with the right setup, I think that aiming straight up the leg is ok on an elk, as there is a soft area behing the actual shoulder bone, but I tend to try and aim right up the back of the leg.  Pretty close to the same spot but gives you a little more wiggle room for error.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »
I shoot just behind the leg too.  Puts em on the ground quick.  An elks shoulder is pretty thick in places.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 03:42:00 PM »
Dusty, straight up the leg will work as the leg bone angles forward before connecting to the shoulder blade, much like with a deer.  Having said that, I'm with Jake on shooting for the back of the leg for wiggle room.

In my opinion it is just as important to aim LOW on an elk.  I aim for 1/4 to 1/3 up from the bottom.  Experiences (mine and others) has taught me that things can get fouled if you are above the mid-line on an elk.

Good luck this year!

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 03:56:00 PM »
Thanks for the responses.

To StanM:

I have been told that before. I recently saw some "autopsied" elk and noticed that if I was to aim low and was to hit BEHIND the leg I would not even get lungs, only liver. So, I've been contemplating just shooting up the leg and hoping to take out the heart, upper ventricles, or lungs.

Offline jason1040

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
I know from experience that sticking your broadhead in a tree just above their back wont get the job done...just don't repeat my ability to pick a spot.

Good luck in the next couple of weeks.
Todd Frickey Southfork Custom 70# @ 30"

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 05:34:00 PM »
Here is one of the skeleton

PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
And here is one of the vitals

PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
Thanks for posting Kevin.Very helpful  :thumbsup:
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
looks to me like right up the back of the front leg, and right in the bottom third will do the deed.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »
Great info here. I also like to line up on the back of the leg.  Easy access to the boiler. As said before don't hit them to high. The top 8 inches is no man's land. Bottom third is perfect.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »
See Terry's thread at the top of the stack in PowWow.  Many are taught that the "shoulder is the spot where the leg meets the body.  That is NOT the case.  They are also taught to shoot behind this "shoulder".  As you saw, that puts you dangerously close to missing the lungs completely, deer or elk.  You are on the right track.
ChuckC

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
If I'm not mistaken those are the pictures on the IBEP website and they are misleading according to the actual elk vital pictures I have seen.

The various photos I saw show the heart residing approximately 6" further forward than where it is shown in that artist rendition.

For those who have disected elk I ask if this is truly the case?

Offline artelkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
I hunt with Mike Lawson unit 40 in Colorado. He's been outfitting that unit for 35 years deer elk and bear. If I've heard him say it once I've heard him say it 100 times. "Right behind that crease". He sees some where aroung 20 elk killed every year with a bow. just thought I'd pass that on.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 10:42:00 PM »
Art if that is actually where you hit it, you will be OK.  But put it back 4" and you may very well be out of the lungs.  It is that close.  It is not the best shot out there.
ChuckC

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 05:19:00 AM »
I'm going with the attack dog aproach. Stay back, stay back behind the shoulder! Those big bones scare me!!

Offline Desert Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »
I have always put the arrow as close to the crease as you can but behind the shoulder. ELk have big bones and stay away from that shoulder. The cow I killed a few years ago had a scar about 2 inches forward of the crease where another hunter had shot and hit the shoulder bone. Keep in tight behind the crease and about a 1/3 the way up from the chest and you wont have a problem.

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »
thats the thing, the "shoulder" of the animal, meaning the blade and thick muscle, is actually located VERY far up front, and high.  the bulk of the blade is in the upper third of the body, and the angle of the blade is such that is draws a line on the very front of the elks body, when broadside.  Most of the vital tissue is in front of the straight line that goes up the leg.  The leg itself actually goes straight forward when it gets to the body, so straight above the elbow there is no bone there, beside ribs.  and there is alot of room in front of that even before hitting any bone.    This really goes for Deer, Moose antelope as well.  Theres on old thread on the bowsite about this too.  The best illustration I've seen on this is the one posted here, by BB.  

You can see here where the crease would be, I've put an illustration here to make the point here.

The line there is roughly (very roughly) where I would say most people call the crease, straight up from the elbow (the antelope here is a bit crooked so the line is too).  the 2 dots are where most people would shoot, just behind the shoulder, or the elbow.  The X is the purported spot to pick, if you agree with the illustration.

:clapper:
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
I've revisited that thread many, many times over the past year and a half. I thought about posting all of those photos but did not want to take the time to upload them to photobucket.

Thanks, elkbreath, for taking the time to post those up.

Dusty

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 01:05:00 PM »
Excellent photo study, thanks.  Makes a couple shots I made much clearer.  Do you have a link to the original thread?  Tried to do a search but didn't have enough information.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©