3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Brand new to Woodsmen Broadheads  (Read 513 times)

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
Brand new to Woodsmen Broadheads
« on: August 19, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »
My package of WW came in the mail today even though they were only ordered 3 days ago.  Props to Tim Harms of Braveheart Archery for such fine service.

I read everything I could find here on TG about sharpening them.  I have a file, tri stone and sharpie on hand.  

I will sharpen the 1st one and see how it goes.  I can get a 2 blade Magnus wicked sharp, lets see if I can do the same with the ww.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Brand new to Woodsmen Broadheads
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
I have used some broadheads ike woodsmans, snuffers, and never got an edge like I was used to getting on a 2 or 4 blade.  It still works well when shaving sharp, just not what I have been used to.  

I can get a 2 blade so sharp it will cut your eye if you look at the edge!
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 05:59:00 PM »
Well after an hour I don't have much to show for my effort.  They have somewhat of an edge but nothing I would hunt with.

This is kind of like learning to sharpen with a file.  Took me awhile to figure it out but I finaly did it.  Guess it will be the same with the WW.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline camolaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
I found the trick to be in the technique.  Use your sharpie to mark the edges, file or sand till the edges are even, making sure not to use too much pressure, once all edges are filed such that your marker lines are gone, polish with your fine stone, again making sure to not use much pressure.

Through trial and error, I found that using too much pressure on the file made it impossible to get a sharp edge along the entire blade and too much pressure on the stone likewise killed the edge.

I also found that a diamond rod with very light pressure was the best for me after using the file.  Again, very light pressure.

Keep at it, you can get them sharp.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 06:51:00 PM »
Is this the original or the elite?

The elites are a cinch as the bevels come level....if its the originals, it take a lot of file work...or what I use, a belt sander to 1st get all the bevels level....then a 3 sided jewel stick does the trick.  I've had great sucess with them from bunnies to hogs to bison...and great blood trails on the hogs let me tell ya!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
They are the originals Terry.

I have worked on the head a little more and now it is shaving but also doing a lot of pulling hair.  I actually spent maybe 10 minutes on the head this time and it is taking shape.  I believe I am getting the hang of it and will develope a better edge with pratice.

I'm using a flat file to get the edge established.  Then 30 strokes on each side with light pressure then 20 then one stroke on each side unti I have completed 30 strokes per side.
I found this info while searching for sharpening snuffers and thought it would work with the WW as well so I gave it a try.

Next I honed on a fine AR stone and finished up with stropping on a piece of cardboard.

I think I about have it licked.  More technigue than anything else as best as I can figure so far.
USAF Retired '85-'05

Offline brushcreek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
I also have the older ww,they did take some effort to get a good edge ,but I like to play around sometimes just to pass the time.I haven't taken any game with them yet,but they they fly straight.They will be in my quiver this season.
all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be

Offline longbowray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
I have always  done my like Mr Lamb. Show you in his clip that way my dad show me to sharpen 3 blade head years ago. Work great watch the clip and use a sharpie on the edge to show your if the it flat. Good luck ray
BOWHUNTTER FOR LIFE

Offline shedhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »
like Terry said with the beltsander.  Take a black Marker and mark the edges so you can see how much to go to get her flat.  Once you are flat its easy.   ron

Offline Papa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 10:32:00 PM »
What grit sand paper are you all using on the belt sanders?

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
Since I do not have a belt sander,I use a large 16" file, magic marker and cardboard. Usually start with 15 strokes, (back to front with the BH mounted on the shaft.) per side. Doing two blades at one time. Then I go to 10X per side, then 5,4,3,2,1 per side. Once I get to one I make another 20 strokes/side getting lighter with each passing stroke.
This usually gets me VERY sharp, shaving hair with no problem.
Recently here on TG I learned about stroping with a piece of corrugated cardboard. Pulling the head backwards 12X per side.
Now my WW are scary sharp!! I have never gotten a head so sharp!
I am keeping them in the garage b/c they are too dangereous to have in the house!

chris <><

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 11:35:00 PM »
I went from dull to almost hunting sharp and now back to an edge like a butter knife.  I don't have a belt sander so I have to use a file.  Maybe after a good night's sleep I can hit it again and figure something out.  Time to watch Charlie Lamb's video again before I call it a night.
USAF Retired '85-'05

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 06:32:00 AM »
Pac, check out 3 Rivers Archery. They also have a video showing how to sharpen a WW.
I don't use there Jewelstik, b/c for me it seem to take a razor sharp head and dull it.
A piece of cardboard works better for me.

chris <><

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 08:29:00 AM »
Belt sander to get all the edges true, Large high quality metal file pusing head into the teeth equal number of strokes on each side and decreasing the number of strokes and pressure as I go. Finally I push each side over a butchers steel a couple of times using no downward pressure. Everytime before I hunt I run them over the steel again to touch up. When I use an imntermediate step like a shrpening stone I end up dulling the blade as compared to when it comes straight off the file.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 08:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by Onions:

I don't use there Jewelstik, b/c for me it seem to take a razor sharp head and dull it.

chris <><
I hear ya....and this is what I bet is happening with that jewel stick.....when the head 'feels' sharp it still has burs on it...and if you use the finest side of the jewel stick...it polishes them off so it doesn't feel sharp....but bet your pippy it is!!!  That's one reason I use the medium side only, so I can still 'feel' the sharpness.

I promise you, if you have all the edges level, light dragging across a jewel stick will not make the head duller.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 12:55:00 PM »
I think "Camolaw" said it best (and probably what's happening).
Light, light, light on the file. Let it do the work. Any three blade will want to spread the blades apart with too much pressure. Since that spreading can't be duplicated exactly from stroke to stroke, it makes the edge rounded and therefore not as sharp it needs to be to start.

Using the right technique the broadhead should be just fine to hunt with right off of the file process. After that point you are just refining the edge and need to know when to stop.

Usually just a few light passes on your hones and strops will do the job, then leave it alone.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 01:24:00 PM »
Just understand they will never "feel" as sharp as a 2 blade because of the different angle on the blade, but they will cut meat and leave Great bloodtrails!
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 03:21:00 PM »
Got a big bald spot on my arm but had to press down fairly hard.  If I had pressed that hard with my 2 blade I'd be getting stitches right now.  

It's getting there but I have to wonder if I will know when it is sharp enough since it feels dull but still shaves hair with enough pressure.
USAF Retired '85-'05

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 04:11:00 PM »
I am new to the Woodsman Elites and I know what you are saying they shave hair but do not feel sharp. I am using stones I do not have any files but the stones work good I have been kicking around getting a diamond stone to speed things up some. Has anyone used the diamond stones? I am planning to use them on elk this year I did penetration test with them and I was impressed.   Widow

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »
Is the file new and sharp or dull?  The new files move material way faster!  Belt sander use with caution, but will get job done lickety split!
Longbows & Short Shots

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©