3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My bear euro mount  (Read 531 times)

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
My bear euro mount
« on: August 19, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »
I just got the euro mount of the bear I shot in Saskatchewan set up in my office. I have mounted it with two pictures below it. The 1st picture is a closeup with me and my bear. The second picture is a collage that contains a group picture of my buddies and I with the outfitter and his family superimposed onto an old trappers cabin. Also in the collage is a picture of their lodge, the lake we stayed near and individual pictures of my buddy and I and our bears. My bears hide was rubbed pretty bad so I think this was a cool way to go. I am still waiting for the rear paws to be mounted on a board (like you see with deer feet for gun racks) which will hang underneath the pictures. I plan to hang my kill arrow from the paws with the front claws hanging from the kill arrow by a leather cord. The outfitter figured my bear was at least 10 or 11 years old and was involved in some scraps based upon the dental work.

This is a link to the original story and pics that I posted of the hunt.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=089972;p=1
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My bear euro mount
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 05:16:00 PM »
Very neat!

Euro mounting skulls is quite satisfying but nasty work. I did it with a deer skull and it came out awesome, but will have to be really motivated to do it again.

In case anyone is curious:
1) Skin skull with a knife, don't look for perfection, just get the most off without scratching the bone
2) SIMMER in water, don't boil, containing "Oxy-clean" or similar stain remover. Remove gelling meat frequently.
3)Soak in 30% H2O2 available commercially in hydroponic garden stores
4)dry and glue in teeth with elmer's white glue
5)Apply minwax polynamel with a brush. Clear satin works best.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
Very nice I like the plague.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline recurvecody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
i would like to do a skull, thanks for the info calihunter! very nice bear.
pick a spot stupid!

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
Very nice......stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
Wow, those canines are huge.  That is a very impressive mount.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
Look'n good   :thumbsup:
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
I love Bear Skulls. Check this out, the one on the right I cooked myself the one on the left was done using beetles it is absolutely pristine those little bugger do a good job.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
Real nice !! I really enjoyed your hunt thread  :)

:campfire:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 10:57:00 PM »
NorthernCaliforniaHunter's instructions are good.The only thing I would add,is that bears and some other animals need degreased after all meat and tissues are removed.This has to be done regardless of the method used.

All bugs do is remove meat.The skulls are very funky when the bugs are done with them.They still need to be soaked in a solvent for quite awhile until all grease is gone.

When a skull has been cleaned,after drying-say,overnight,if you see what looks like wet or waxy spots,that is grease.Young bears have less,older bears have more.I soak skulls in a sealed bucket of acetone,kept in a steel shed outside.

Degreasing is a slow process.Think about it.The porous bone is saturated with grease which has to be diluted by the sovent till it gradually leaches out on it's own.This may take a week or it may take a month.

Just submerge in the solvent and check it in a week.Leave it out till you think all solvent has evaporated from the skull.If you still see wet/waxy spots-back in and repeat.

I have heard of people useing Dawn dishwashing liquid and water but it has never worked for me on a truly greasy skull.I couldn't possibly live long enough.

After complete degreasing,the skull can then be bleached.After that,it should be sealed.The best thing I have found for that is Future floor finish,thinned 50/50 with water.It is crystal clear,soaks in to every pore and cleans up with water.When thinned like this with water,it is not shiny but gives it a smooth,eggshell like feel and protects it from getting dirty.Poly will yellow some over time.

As I said,the instructions above are good.I simmer in baking soda but basically the same.
1.Remove all meat
2.Degrease
3.Bleach
4.Seal

Regardless of the flesh removal method,these are the basic steps for all.

Done right,a simmered skull can look as clean and pristine as a bug cleaned skull.Keep in mind that tiny teeth like premolars and incisors of predators become loose fairly quickly so don't pour off any cooking water without straining it well.It is easy to lose these teeth.Any time you remove the skull from the water to pick flesh,it is a good idea to do it over an old window screen to catch any small teeth that drop.As teeth loosen,put them in a cup or jar and reinstall them later.

I should add also,I normally,after manually trimming the bulk of the meat from the skull and before simmering,I put it in a black garbage back to not let it dry but let it spoil for a few days or longer if you can stand it.This drastically cuts simmer time.Cook it to hot and the flesh firms up and takes much more time-exposing the skull to heat,longer than necessary.
Married guys,proceed at your own risk.Apartment dwellers-pay a taxidermist.

A garden hose on very low pressure can be used to gently flush brain and sinus cavities.Go very easy with the fine sinus bones.

Lastly,use rubber gloves when handling,clean and disinfect hands after any contact.Bears carry stuff.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 11:11:00 PM »
Here are a couple with some character.The boar on the left was ancient and was all skin and bones.The boar on the right had evidently been bitten in a fight,which left a partially healed hole over his eye orbit and his cheek bone had been crushed an was barely fused together.It came apart during cleaning.These guys lead tough lives.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 11:42:00 PM »
Dan,real nice bear and sure enjoyed your story.If you're ever in Saskatchewan again it would be great to meet up.Steve
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 02:39:00 AM »
Real nice
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 03:14:00 AM »
That was an unusual, but very nice mount   :thumbsup:
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 03:36:00 AM »
That's pretty cool! I love skull mounts. My taxidermist called me this week and mine is finally done. I just hope I can get meet up with him before I leave hunting tomorrow.

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 10:21:00 AM »
Neat trophies......   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »
those are cool looking!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »
Thanks for the added info, Jim!

I gotta get a bear someday.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
No problem.Good luck with the bear hunting.You live in a great state for it.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
very nice.

I did one in 2008.   Clean out the skull is discusting. It was months before I felt good about going to that CAR WASH again.

Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©