3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how has a new bow improved your shooting?  (Read 573 times)

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
how has a new bow improved your shooting?
« on: August 19, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »
how many of you have noticed a huge improvement in your shooting just by buying a new highend bow? i have always been a good trad shooter and could hold my own.after buying this griffin bow i am unstoppable as far as accuracy goes.i truly believe a top shelf bow improves an archers shooting.what do you think? any truth in this theory?  :archer2:    :dunno:
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how has a new bow improved your shooting?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 05:21:00 PM »
Everyone is different,I think different designed bows just fit someone better and another may not fit them at all.I think is is more the fit and personal preference then a high end bow.JMO

Offline finq

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 05:25:00 PM »
i shoot a ragim impala , which is about 110euro in germany.
my friend bought an expensive recurve, i think its a bear(about 400euros), but to be honest i dont feel any difference shooting it.
well, the part where you grab the bow (dont know to it in english, the middle piece  :) ) fits a bit better into my hand, but thats all.

oh, and i looks much better, which could be a confidence boost, he said something like that. he feels like with the new bow, he was able to shoot more accurate.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »
Larry, for me, it took shooting a big variety of bows to find that one that just speaks to me. My St Joe River does just that. The grip gives me consistent hand placement, the shelf is cut perfect to accept a variety of arrow spines and the weight of the bow gives me the perfect stability. I have been most accurate with this bow than any other so far.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Toxophilite

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
You bet!
Bows can be like magic.
IMVHO, there are bowyers out there who can tweak a bow in dozens of ways for you, using superior design and materials, along with positive 2-way communication. That kind of bow will probably improve your shooting.  

It helps a lot for you to have enough experience to know what you like like & dislike--what you want, don't want.

There are custom built bows you can buy used which, just by the general design and type & quality of material, can help your shooting and help you refine what you like/don't like.

Please note I left out the phrase "high-end custom bow". After owning a lot of really nice bows, I'm of the opinion that many of the best shooting custom bows are built by great bowyers who charge very reasonable prices.
I'm only as good as my first shot.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 06:10:00 PM »
Every new bow I buy has improved my shooting for about a week. I think it's all about concentration, or a lack there of.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 06:40:00 PM »
I think what helped me the most was stepping down in poundage.My recurves i have was 55lb-60lb and i shoot them very well.My longbow is 47lb.I can realy hold and concentrate on the shot.This helped me out very much.
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
When I was turning over to the light of trad bows I started out with a T/D recurved bow. The bow cracked in the riser and before coming here I got rid of it for safety ( not knowing any better on how to fix it or who to send it to ).
I then went to a hybrid long bow (Shrew), It was light and felt great in my hand.. I sold that bow because I made my Own bow and it was great, little more mass weight then the shrew.
I then went out and got a Bowfishing bow kit ( PSE KingFisher ), This Bow has lot of mass weight and I found I shoot it better then the Shrew and My Selfbow..

Now My bow isn't a highend bow or nor is it lowend bow ( in my eyes ). It is a bow that fits me and something that making me happy shooting it.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
agreed there are a lot of bows out that arent much money compared to others that are three times more money.was just using the term as a reference point.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Blood Trail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
Cancer,radiation, chemo, with a 33# Pearson Colt I can shoot again. I can see the arrow. Wonderful.
It's not what you look at that's  important-it's what you see.  

Thoreau

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
High end made no difference, dropping to a lower poundage .....priceless!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
I think NWD is on track. Perhaps the excitement and joy of a new bow often causes us to practice and conentrate very intently, at least for a while. This will result in improved accuracy. Of course, if it is a new bow that really fits an archer well, the improved accuracy may well be permanent. Being a high end bow, in and of itself, is not the crucial factor. Its is getting the "right" bow and doing the practice that will make the difference. At least that is my opinion.
Sam

Offline ScottV_7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by ron w:
Agreed.  A friend of mine just went from a 56#@30" Hill to a 47# Super K and he's shooting lights out.

There is something to be said for smoothness.  I recently went from shooting a 45# Martin X-200 to a 44# Mikuta recurve.  Only 1 lb. less but feels like 5 lbs. less and my groups shrunk considerably at longer ranges.

Try as many as you can.  I think that fit is the key thing.
JK Traditions Kanati 48#@28"  
Fedora 560 52" 44#@26"

"Skin that one pilgrim, and I'll bring ya another!"

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 10:39:00 PM »
My recurve is mid-priced($500) not high end, but changing to a recurve grip from longbow changed my shooting dramatically!

Also, longer limbs and a heavier riser helped a good bit.

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 06:42:00 AM »
New bow that had a new style grip I had never tried before.

Huge improvement; I just needed a very low wrist almost straight grip.

Offline Tree Rat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 08:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by BWD:
Every new bow I buy has improved my shooting for about a week. I think it's all about concentration, or a lack there of.
Just be sure it is not New Bow Syndrome. If it is not then you are a lucky man. If it is the search continues......

Good luck
Not all Squirrels are nuts....

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 08:38:00 AM »
I'm not so sure it is high-end versus getting a custom bow that fits you which makes for better shooting. Everyone has a different "right" bow. For me, I can't shoot a regular longbow grip for crap and it makes my elbow tendonitis worse. Give me a medium recurve style grip and I shoot MUCH better with no pain!

Offline shbne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 08:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by ScottV_7:

Originally posted by ron w:
Agreed.  A friend of mine just went from a 56#@30" Hill to a 47# Super K and he's shooting lights out.

There is something to be said for smoothness.  I recently went from shooting a 45# Martin X-200 to a 44# Mikuta recurve.  Only 1 lb. less but feels like 5 lbs. less and my groups shrunk considerably at longer ranges.

Try as many as you can.  I think that fit is the key thing. [/b]
Your form gets suprisingly awesome when you drop to a weight thats easier to handle.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 09:02:00 AM »
My Widow PSA X shoot where i point it and is a joy to shoot.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »
Don't beat me up on this one but... I like to think it's the "proper arrow" and "shooting form" that makes us accurate in archery. But... that's just me.     :dunno:    That being said, there are some bows I can't shoot worth a %#@&!. I'd say the type of grip they have does not work for me. Others... I would not sell for all the tea in China! Some are "high end" some are not.

* Thanks for getting my brain workin' again! *

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©