3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Night lights for hog hunting??  (Read 700 times)

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
Night lights for hog hunting??
« on: August 19, 2010, 10:47:00 PM »
I'm looking for advice on how to better illuminate hogs at night while hunting off the ground.  On my last hunt I used a head light that I positioned off center on my head so that when I canted my bow and head it was aligned toward my target.  While this worked just fine, I'm curious to see what else you guys are using.

I did some hunting at a stand with a light over the feeder but I had a lot more fun and better luck still hunting the hogs which requires a mobile form of light.

I've heard of guys using a tactical light on their bow and other type of devices.  Give me your thoughts.

Please discuss your techniques, post pictures, or email me pics of your set up.

I'm also interested to hear if any of you have notice a difference in the red, green, or plain white lights for light up hogs.  

Thanks.

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Night lights for hog hunting??
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 11:37:00 PM »
Visit texasboars.com or feederlights.com there linked together.  

I have feeder lights on one set up and the I have to hold the light in my grip at the other local and I use a 40 lumen Led White and it hasnt scared anything off yet.  but am considering green

Shawn

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 11:57:00 PM »
tactical light will be great if your bow has the AMO bushing for a stabilizer or the strap-on one for bowfishing.

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 01:14:00 AM »
Green lens over a hanging tube fluorescent shop light about 24" long with alligator clips, connect it to the battery on your feeder. Otherwise hold surefire in your mouth!

Stalking in the dark can be done if there's a moon out....
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 06:14:00 AM »
Chris, I'm off to work in a few minutes, but I'll add some pix later to show you hqat worked for me in Texas at Solana.  I also have a set-up now for my BOTB mainbeam light...later.....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 06:21:00 AM »
I took a normal LED light (LedLenserP5) and mounted it with a pipe clamp and some srews to the bushings for the sight, works great.
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 01:18:00 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  Looking forward to seeing your set up Curt.
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »
If you have a stabilizer screw this one is great.

http://www.texasboarbracket.com/

For the light source I use a Fenix tactical night with pressure switch.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
There are some youtube clips.  Do a search there for hogs at night.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Chris Kinslow:
On my last hunt I used a head light that I positioned off center on my head so that when I canted my bow and head it was aligned toward my target.  
FWIW I do a lot of coon hunting at night, and I have a coon light, which is the best thing ever for night hunting. It's brightness adjustable and will burn all night for 2-3 nights hunting. Pop cover red lens if nec.

However, it has the same problem. When I try to shoot a coon with a rifle, I have to cock the thing on my head so it follows my dominant eye's line of sight. My solution is to use a pistol and bring more bullets. So, in short I have no good answer for you .    :D

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 02:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Chris Surtees:
If you have a stabilizer screw this one is great.

http://www.texasboarbracket.com/  

For the light source I use a Fenix tactical night with pressure switch.
Here is one that is attached to a trad bow.

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
I can't hunt at night in Commiefornia but I do target shoot. What works for me is an over the ear flashlight(looks like a hands-free cell phone earpiece)with one little green LED. I find that green or red saves my night vision and I need a whole lot less light to "see" my target. I also understand that ruminants have a hard time seeing in the green or red spectrum, but don't quote me on that.

I picked up the flashlight at harbor freight for $3. Can't beat that!
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 05:48:00 PM »
Juan, can you tilt the light out away from Your head and about how far does the light shine .

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 06:05:00 PM »
I tried to hold the light in my teeth and shoot while stalking a hog last weekend(didn't work out so well). I was amazed that the light didn't spook either group of hogs I encountered(free range). I was using a blood trailing light with the greenish hue, but I switched it to the regular light and they didn't spook.
One even bedded down 10 yards away!
If I had been using any head lamp it would've meant bacon.

Offline HB3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 12:18:00 AM »
I have the Fenix light from Brothers of the bow, awesome light. They sell a head band also. I got to my feeder late one morning after dropping off my family members and their were 15 hogs or so under the feeder. Did the same thing slid the head band around to the side a little so I could get a line on a hog. They let me walk right up to about 15 yards but would not hold still, finally got a shot and drilled one with a lumenock, worked good but a light on the bow would be good also. Bet it would be easy to mount the little Fenix in a stabilzer mount on the bow.

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by mysticguido:
Juan, can you tilt the light out away from Your head and about how far does the light shine .
Yes, the little light has a swivel at the base of the LED bulb. The light casts about 20-30 yards, but is faint. Enough for silhouettes, though, and plenty for putting arrows where you need 'em.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »

It's a converted Colman X-ponent head lamp, velcro'd to the bow(easy on and off), shines good light right where I point my bow. Only got onpportunity to use it, and it worked great.

Turned it on while pointing the light up, and slowly lowered it on to the hogs feeding in front of my. Some moved off, but most stayed, and I got a shot off.

Much prefered for me than trying to line up something on your head to shoot something. This is always pointed where the bow is pointed.

Last year I got this set-up ready for the Pig-gig but never got the opportunity to use it....

This is both together...
•  
•  
•  

This is a BOTB Mainbeam light, again just velcro'd to the bow. A little more powerful than the X-ponent...
•  
•  
•  
Curt } >>--->   

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »
Curt, that's prettysweet. Going south on my first hog hunt in 3 weeks and I'm gonna rig that up. I'll use my surefire. Thanks.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2010, 05:40:00 PM »
Mike, I eventually did away with the crossed extra straps and just went with the pc. on the side of the bow/light.   It was plenty to hold it in place . Even after several shots. But the MB is a pretty small/light wt. flashlite.

I like it because of the different light settings....
Curt } >>--->   

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
Pig is not a ruminant....did you mean ungulate?
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©