3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A&H longbow who shoots one  (Read 1101 times)

Offline jtwalsh62

• Trad Bowhunter
A&H longbow who shoots one
« on: August 19, 2010, 11:29:00 PM »
What do you thing about the longbow are they hard shooter
jt walsh
 be still and listen

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A&H longbow who shoots one
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 11:41:00 PM »
I have 3 3pc CX bows and one 1 pc bow-all 50#-53# they are about as good as it gets for fast, smooth, quiet bows.
To me, the quiet and smoothness are their best characteristics, the speed is 'free'.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 12:07:00 AM »
I agree with Bjorn.  I have two.  The grip is a bit small for some people, and some folks have trouble tuning an arrow to them because they're cut past center.  They take a very stiff arrow for their weight. For me, they're as good as it gets.  I've shot just about everything out there and have found nothing better.

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 12:33:00 AM »
I shot one with a RC riser at ETAR and I'm saving up for one, thats how much I liked it, it just melted in my hand and it shot where I looked. Cant ask for anything more just my 2 cents
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 12:37:00 AM »
I shot three different models, including the all carbon one piece at Denton Hill just to see what all the hoopla is about. To be perfectly honest, I wasn't all that impressed. Yeah, they're quick, but not all that smooth and kinda ugly. 1200$- I don't think so. I can think of about a dozen other bows I'd rather have for half the money. Lot of guys love 'em, maybe its just me.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 12:45:00 AM »
I am more accurate with them than ANY other bow, but unfortunately I don't like the low brace height or the hand shock.

***Most people would never notice the hand shock it is so slight.

Overall, excellent bows and great people to talk with.

Offline AKM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 05:13:00 AM »
I have a 3pc and at one time, I had two sets of limbs for it. I had 62" 47# @ 27" limbs and still have my 64" 38# @ 27" limbs. The numbers that I get through my brand new chrono are not even close to what Pete Ward has posted on his website. Maybe I do a fair amount of creeping before I release or my release sucks but at any rate, I do not get the blazing speeds that everyone else gets. I do not plan on getting rid of it but I sure wouldn't fork over the $1300.00 again.

Offline tukudu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 05:50:00 AM »
Joe if you get a chance shoot one and you make up your own mind. From my perspective they are a high performance, quiet, smooth drawing and hard hitting bow. Their performance shines with heavy arrows and I personally consider them as one of the best I have owned. You really need to try for yourself. good luck. Ugly naaah this little lady is sweet, "red stripe man"     :saywhat:      
"Brothers of the flaming arrow"

Offline Cecil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 06:12:00 AM »
I have two of them. I like them better than any bow I have shot. I have the metal riser I like the mass weight. If you get a chance give one a try before you buy one.

Offline CJC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 06:34:00 AM »
i have several.  they are top notch in every way.  the speed i get is unmatched with zero hand shock. it is true they are not for everyone though so shoot before you buy.

Offline Oscar-eleven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 07:05:00 AM »
I sure like mine. I've been shooting stick bows since the '70's and have owned many custom bows. For me personally, its "the" bow. To quote Bjorn, "they are about as good as it gets for fast, smooth, quiet bows." That's the same conclusion I've come to.

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 07:21:00 AM »
Hands down the best bow I have ever owned and shot.  Add in some of the best customer service out there and that's one great bow company!

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 08:02:00 AM »
Hand shock did you say hand shock on an A&H.  :laughing:  ......stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 08:13:00 AM »
I have a 3 piece and a one piece....I did have to build out the strike plate a bit on the 3 piece to bring the arrows left but other than that I don't have any negatives about the bow.  Killed BLOCKHEAD with it on its maiden voyage.

Now the one piece I'm in love with!!!  But then again, I'm a one piece guy less we talking swimsuits.     ;)    Didn't do nothing but string it and bulls right out of the box.  I'll be chasing bear with the one piece soon.

I don't recall any hand shock with either.

Nice guys to deal with for sure!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 08:22:00 AM »
I have two now, have had several others. They are very smooth and are at the top of the performance list.
I do have problem with the grip.
I bought the Apogee riser and love that grip.
I had Jim of Black/Creek bows make me a custom riser (with a grip I designed) to fit my 58" limbs.
That is my hunting bow now.
John

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 08:34:00 AM »
When I was shooting an A&H, the guy had it set up with light aluminums...maybe that is why I felt some vibration? No disrespect intended, but I am very critical about handshock. If I feel it at all I am not happy. I imagne it might have been those light arrows and a heavier arrow would fix the issue. Again, most people would NOT notice it at all. These are excellent bows. You would likely be extremely happy, but shoot one for yourself to find out.

There are a ton of top bows out there that are not for me. I just don't like shooting them and I can tell you for that a ton of people think I am crazy for not liking them! They are all excellent bows too, just not for me. Get what works for you and if that is an ACS then go for it!

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 08:45:00 AM »
I have 3 with the RC riser. I haven't found a better longbow out there, and Ive tried many as well. I started with the standard riser, and then purchased the RC. As soon as I pulled the RC from the box, I knew immediately that was the one. It just molded to my hand, and shot were I looked.

Sold everything else, and went strictly all ACS RC. Only other non ACS bows I kept were a pair of 1956 Bear Kodiak for nostalgia purpose and a Widow recurve just cause I always wanted one.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 08:45:00 AM »
Don't know buck eye....I shoot 580 grain arrows off both...the one piece is 60#s and the 3 piece is 67#s...

Sometimes it can be a funny thing....string silencers not equally placed....brace height...string material...and even someone's release.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 08:56:00 AM »
Terry,

There were no string silencers on the bow either. As far as my release... I didn't even think of that. My release is okay, but needs some work.

Like I said though, it was by far the best bow I personally shot in terms of accuracy. Easy tight groups out to 25 yards first time I shot it. I was hitting my own arrows at 25 yards with that bow!

If it weren't for the low brace height and the vibration I felt then I would be saving for one already. They draw SUPER smooth and accuracy is obviously paramount in hunting.

Can the brace height be brought up some on these? I actually would like to have one if I could fix those two minor issues. I have been on their website a thousand times.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 09:05:00 AM »
Buckeye...I also don't recal my brace heights being that low....what is yours set at and where did you get that measurment?

I can tell you on a new bow with a new string the string can and will stretch making your brace height lower.  Not saying that's the case, but could be.

i remember getting a recurve once and shooting lights out with it for 2 days.....didn't notice any abnormal noise....left it strung and took it hunting about 3 days later and here comes a 7 point....15 yards and when I dropped the string it sounded like a 22 went off.  The brace had dropped 3/4ths of an inch!!!

THAT is when I came up with BOW HUSH!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©