3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A&H longbow who shoots one  (Read 1102 times)

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A&H longbow who shoots one
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »
To me its the best shooting bow on the market.

I sold one but i have one on the way, 16in riser 45@30 skinned with eastern diamondback skins.

Now i will have a fast shooting bow that looks incredible.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »
The brace height was roughly 7 1/4 inches(actually found that doing a search on here). I like bows with recommended brace heights about 8 to 8 1/4 inches, but I usually only find that on recurves not longbows.

That is why I am looking at the Blackcreek Banshee takedown longbow. Recommended brace height is 9 inches and has forward handle...very forgiving.

I don't want to give up on the dream of an ACS though. I am tired of the noise of recurves versus the longbows. Even with everything in the world on them, a recurve just isn't as quiet as the longbow. That is why I am working to get the best of both worlds now. Takedown longbow with forward handle recurve grip. Then I'll throw on some Hushpuppies and be set! I am using bowhush on my current recurve! Way better, but I still want the longbow limbs.

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2010, 12:00:00 PM »
Charlie I was just ribbing you about the hand shock, I have a few Hills and some people say they have hand shock but I never notice any. The brace height on my A&H is at 8’’.....stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2010, 12:48:00 PM »
I had a one piece and it had such a big grip that I couldn't shoot it.I called A&H and Dan said send her on to him and he would make like the newer grip.That is cool for them to do that,I hope now I will be able to shoot it.I shot it then with the big grip and I did have a lot of shock,then again I didn't take the time to really tune it either.Having a 25 " draw maybe affects that for me who knows.I am excited about trying it out again.I know the day i shot it ,it screamed an arrow though.My .02
You do not realize now what I am doing,but later you will understand.Book of John
Bow list just keeps on growing and growing.....

Offline tukudu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
This is the sister to redstripe....she is not to bad on the eyes either.
"Brothers of the flaming arrow"

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2010, 01:59:00 PM »
My ACS has always been accurate. When I first started shooting it I thought it was kinda loud. I have since raised the brace height to 7 3/4. I also built out the side plate. Now it is very quiet and fast. Gary

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
Larry and John are two of the nicest, most unassuming guys you'll ever talk to; reason enough to own one!  With all the performance and everything said above, you still have to like a bow intrinsically for what it is IMO.  In other words, you’re either attracted to it and can shoot it or you can’t.  Attraction goes beyond just looks, it is the feeling the bow gives off to you.  Hold one, shoot it, ”feel it” you’ll know if it speaks to you!  They are what people say they are, but it still has to work for you.  Only you can answer that one.

Best of luck!

Kris

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2010, 03:10:00 PM »
The 3 piece is hands down my favorite bow of all time.....and I've had more than my fair share!!   :saywhat:

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2010, 03:22:00 PM »
I have one and it is a hard shooting bow,I built out my side plate by 3/16" and still required a stiff spined arrow.I never felt any handshock in mine,but I don't feel handshock in my Hill's.It's all in setting your bow up.I shoot 10 gpp out of mine,set my brace just under 7",it's shoots smooth and fast.They are a great shooting bow,but with any bow you need to shoot one and decide for yourself.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2010, 05:03:00 PM »
I think that one post up there made it sound like I don't like A&H bows, but it is really just those minor issues for me. If I could get the brace height up to 8-8 1/4 inches or so.......

Stabow- it still shoots nice with an 8 inch brace height?

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »

Ready for September

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2010, 05:21:00 PM »
My brace height is 7 1/4"  The bow is 47#@27" 62".  It is the smoothest and very flat shooting bow that I have had in 30 years and I had my share of bows. No hand shock at all. 505gr arrows. I will say that I did not like it at first. I had the standard riser and sent it back to have them put the low riser on it. When I got the bow back it was like a whole different bow. WOW!!!! Now there was No hand tork at all. The bow was very quite. I have a Kaniti limb bolt quiver on it. Perfect, Perfect,

Schafer Silvertip

Offline Big_Al

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2010, 07:22:00 PM »
Here's mine.  Bocote riser.  62", 48@28".  7.25" brace.  Easily one of the best bows I've ever owned.  Like so many others, mine was a standard grip and I had it sent back for the "JK cutdown".

"And that, my friends, is the minority vote."  -Bill the Butcher

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2010, 12:14:00 AM »
Very smooth, quiet, fast, and it kills stuff when you take it hunting !
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline rlc1959

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
I have a set of 64" 49# @ 28 limbs and a Aluminum Riser (Low grip). I will send it to you if you would like to try one. All it would cost would be the shipping both ways. Let me know. Randy
Randy Chamberlin

NRA Life Member
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member
United Bowhunters of PA Life Member
PBS Member

Offline foudarme

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »
I have 5 ACS: 4 TD and 1 onepiece...they are the best bows of the earth as long as you will follow the factory advices about the bow's length according to the draw lengthes...if you take a too short bow for your own DL, you will regreat it...the RC riser is this one I like the less cause I feel a little handshock with it what is absolutly not the case with the standard one...my preferred grip is the alu one...I would like to buy the new short 12" model but I find the riser so ugly that I hesitate a lot...

Offline Mojo Rising

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2010, 04:23:00 PM »
Mine is a 62" 54#er @ 28 draw length and is truly an amazing bow once I got used to the grip.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Morrison ILF

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
I have 2, a 66# and a 53#, both rock the house!!  They are great folks to do business with.  H

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »
I had one and a half sold one and bought a half now I just have one.  :goldtooth:  .....stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2010, 04:12:00 PM »
I have to say up front that I am a Hill style longbow shooter over the years.  I have tryed other bows and migrated back to the thicker limbed "Hill" style of longbow.

I borrowed and shot a buddies ACS 3-piece with a lighter arrow about 5 times.  I hung it back up and got my Hill.  

Later I built up a heavy arrow 670 grains with plastic tube inside an aluminum arrow and high profile feathers.  

I shot this arrow out of the ACS, about 13 GPP.  I bought the bow from my buddy.  In the top 3 bow and arrow set-up's I have ever had.  

The bow is not critical of a release with a heavy arrow and flat out accurate.  I carry a deep hook on the string and the limbs react like a thicker limbed Hill, not critical.  

Like I said I did not like the bow with a light arrow.  The penetration that I am getting with a 52 pound bow and 13 GPP is quite impressive.   Looking forward to taking her in the woods for the important test, game animals.
Longbows & Short Shots

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©