3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 40# for hunting?  (Read 872 times)

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 40# for hunting?
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
The 40# will do just fine. I shoot low poundage recurve bows with heavy aluminum arrows and no problems taking game such as deer, javelina and small feral hogs with very sharp 2 blade broadheads at 20 yards and under.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2010, 06:17:00 AM »
40 will do it. You may have a differing draw length changing hands than you did with your compound. I shoot both sides and there is a 1/2" difference, using identical form.  Regardless, you will be fine.

Offline bucksdown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2010, 07:04:00 AM »
most all of these guys are correct, i've only been shooting trad 20 years so i'm certainly no expert, since your new to trad, i'll give my two cents worth. i only shoot 45# i set my stand (if i can) in the fork of two trails with my back to the trail coming in, this gives me an opportunity to stand up and less than a 20yd. shot. two pope and youngs, three 150's and 19 other bucks, numerous does that have gone no more than 75 yrds. tops. YOU CAN DO IT! arrow wieght does matter, speed, NOT! i believe it was fred bear that said It doesn't mater how fast your bow is, if your arrow gets there first. i would shoot more poundage if i could, but i'm like you ,    :archer2:   i can't.

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2010, 09:42:00 AM »
:coffee:  
All of this is just what I was hoping to hear. Thanks very much for the great feedback!
"It's not about inches or antlers..."     ~Bill Langer

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
bucksdown, how heavy an arrow do you shoot with your 45#s....just curious, thinking about using my 45# Big Jim Buff for fall bear   :)
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline rightminded

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
Friend of mine shot a nice buck with a old 42# bear bow using a bear broad head.  His draw length is about 26".  He got through the chest cavity to the off side ribs.  Arrow wallowed around until the deer fell less than 50yds. from the point where he was shot.  Double lungs but no exit wound.

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2010, 10:47:00 AM »
it worked for me, the legal limit here in MD is 30# for deer and BEAR????  The things suggested above are all good, sharp broadhead, good shoot placement, one thing that wasnt mentioned is a heavy arrow with higher FOC is not a make or break, but it is a good idea. good luck!!!
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline Johnny UMAA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »
You should be good at 40#...I shoot around 55# and rarely shoot over 15 yards at any rate.

Have fun!
Orig. Schafer SilverTip TD Recurve 62" 55#& 60#@29"
Schafer SilverTip TD Longbow FF 64" 50#@29"
Morrison Dakota 64" 43#@28"
Bear Kodiak Hunter 60" 50#@28"

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by gobblegrunter:

Originally posted by Al Dean:
Your 40#@30" will be equal to 45#@28" as far as arrow speed and penetration.  Have fun.
Really? Thats great to hear if so! It was my understanding that increased weight only came with drawing the bow back further than it's spec weight at 28in. In other words, shouldn't 40#@30in still equate to less arrow speed and penetration than 45#@28in?
Thanks again! [/b]
My understanding is that there is an approximate difference of 3lbs or so per inch of draw. Thus 40@30 would be roughly one pound shy of 45@28. Now, I suppose that the formula curve is different at higher poundage, but it's seems to hold true at the weights your talking about. Plenty for deer.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2010, 03:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by NorthernCaliforniaHunter:

Originally posted by Al Dean:
Your 40#@30" will be equal to 45#@28" as far as arrow speed and penetration.  Have fun.
Really? Thats great to hear if so! It was my understanding that increased weight only came with drawing the bow back further than it's spec weight at 28in. In other words, shouldn't 40#@30in still equate to less arrow speed and penetration than 45#@28in?
Thanks again! [/b]
My understanding is that there is an approximate difference of 3lbs or so per inch of draw. Thus 40@30 would be roughly one pound shy of 45@28. Now, I suppose that the formula curve is different at higher poundage, but it's seems to hold true at the weights your talking about. Plenty for deer. [/b]
I think your math is backwards. If it is 40# @ 30" then it would be 34# @ 28". Regardless, he will be fine with that poundage (if his draw is 30").

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
One of my all-time favorite traditional archery pictures is of a whitetail doe that Monty Browning shot with a 38# hickory selfbow.  In the article he talks about drawing it an extra inch to get to 40# to be legal.  The article was great and the picture even better.  If I remember right he got a pass through on that deer.

Offline HB3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2010, 12:03:00 AM »
Rod Jenkins did a shooting clinic last year for us and went on a hog hunt afterwards. He brought a 40 lbs Dalla to shoot to be forgiving on his bad shoulder on which he has had surgery. He shot a 200+ lbs hog and buried his arrow in the offside shoulder of the hog. It didn't go far and left a great blood trail. His comment was if you shoot them in the soft spots it doesn't matter and if you shoot them in the wrong spot it doesn't matter. A big hog is a lot tougher than a deer.

Offline machomanandysavage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2010, 12:39:00 AM »
To the original poster: What bow do you have on order?

It seems like you're a bit concerned with having "only" a 40# bow. A lot will depend on the design of your bow. A good performing bow may well cast the same arrow faster than a lower performance heavier weight bow.

Just for example: I have a 67#@28" old Bear Polar. I draw 30", so at my draw it's like 72#. Now, no one would say that this bow would be too light to hunt with, more likely it would be deemed overkill.  

I just finished up a r/d longbow that draws 48#@30". This bow will shoot the same 603 gr. arrow FASTER than the Polar, even though it is 24# lighter.

Notice I'm not talking same grains per # - I'm talking the exact same heavy arrow.

I'm not trying to start any arguments here, just offering the viewpoint that there is a lot more to a bow than just the draw weight. I'm guessing that since you stated you ordered a bow, it's probably a good performing bow and you have nothing to worry about - #40 is plenty.

It's all about good shot placement anyway - practice with it, keep your broadheads sharp, and go hunting.
"Aim small, miss small"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
 40#@30in (my draw)
Whitetails all day long....and not just limited to 2 blades either.  Wensels 3 blades or  Zwickey No Mercy 4 blades both will blow slap through.....as your draw length makes a big difference in the power stroke.  you have the same power as 46#s at 28.....or there bouts.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »
My state stipulates 40#@28" or less draw, hope yours does not say the same.

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
Starting at 40# is very smart on your part, alot of guys making the change from compound WAY over bow themselves. You on the other hand are starting out with with a bow that will enable you to learn your form and will be fun to shoot. Like Ken Beck says the 3 most important qualitys in a traditional bow are accuracy, accuracy and accuracy. Looking foreward to your thread telling everyone of your first tradional kill. Good Luck!
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline artelkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
Arrow flight is always formost for me. If your shooting a hunting weight arrow sraight, with a sharp 2 blade or three you will zip right through the biggest deer in the woods. One of the best bow hunters in this area Pat Gullioli, I dont think I spelled his last name right, hunted with a 40 bound recurve for years.  Killed several trophy class bucks and I never heard him say he didn't have enough bow. Pat owned and ran Pat's archery in Okmulgee Ok for 35 years so I guess he probably new what he was doing.

Offline Turkeys Fear Me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2010, 09:04:00 AM »
gobblegrunter:

I noticed that a number of posters have insinuated that 40# @ 28" will equate to 45# @ 30".  Athough this is true, this is not the case in your situation.

You stated that you ordered 40# @ 30".

"and have a 40#@30in (my draw) ordered."

Your bow will be, 40# @ 30".  Had you ordered it 40# @ 28" and then drew it to 30", you would experience the extra 4-6 pounds.  That's not to say that 40# is 40# is 40#.  Because of your longer draw (power stroke) you will get a bit more performance out of 40# that someone that was drawing 40# at 28".

Just wanted to clear that up in case there was any confusion.

As to your original question, without a doubt, if you hit him where you are supposed to, 40# is more than adequate.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2010, 10:13:00 AM »
Arrow flight is always formost for me.  
I agree.  The draw weight is fine, a sharp broadhead is a must if you are shooting 30# or 300#, as is shot placement.  There's no substitute for proper tuning either--a wobbly arrow will rob you of penetration.  One of the main culprits that a lot overlook is a nock that snaps on the string too tight, especially with lower draw weights.  A good release helps a lot also.

Offline Nosight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »
It has been said several times, Shoot placement and bh sharpness is the key...

Wife shoots 41# at her draw, her elk went 47 yards after shot. It was my job to get the elk close to her for the shot,6 yards.

Again shoot placement,and bh sharpness,and last but just as important within your shooting range..

Good luck and have fun....

Later....Buzz
Remember...aim small miss small...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©