3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: O.K... Just how frugal are you when.........  (Read 728 times)

Offline Arkansaslongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
O.K... Just how frugal are you when.........
« on: August 20, 2010, 11:30:00 PM »
It comes to hunting season? let's try something.....

Please tell how you save money on equipment..do you make your own? buy "second-hand"? shoot vintage bows?

When you go on hunts...do you camp? in tents? or a pull-behind camper? do you "car-pool" with hunting buddies? do you eat out or cook what you kill?

This may seem long but your experiences or "cheap" habits may inspire others who are just starting out PLUS it may also open my eyes as well;

In all honesty, I am gathering information and trying to put together a SMALL booklet on how to hunt on a shoestring budget; I trully would love some new ideas as I run into more and more hunters who love to hunt but are trying to go as cheap as possible because of money being so tight;

Any "traditional" help would be of great blessings; BTW the booklet will be free of charge; I really want to help others who may be struggling; thanks to all who contribute......   :campfire:
May the sun always shine bright on your path and the wind be in your face

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: O.K... Just how frugal are you when.........
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 11:43:00 PM »
I am using a backpack daypack (Lowe Alpine) I already had that I converted into a hunting pack by sewing a camo cover. Saved 150.00.

Use a compass instead of a gps. 12.00 vs 300.00 for the one I'd like.

Made my own grunt tube from materials on hand.

Borrowed a bivy shelter instead of buying one. Ditto water filter.

Bought an old, but nice, JanSport frame pack with a bomber hip belt system and made it into a freighter frame for packing out quarters. Cost 15.00 at a thrift store.

Using knives I had on hand from years past, ditto clothing. I only bought one item and the pants where on sale from 150.00 down to 25.00.

Didn't skimp on boots- 250.00

You get the idea. I did spend some money on arrows, broadheads, maps and a mess kit and some game bags. About 175.00 total.

Shooting a 1972 Howatt Hunter that I got for 225.00

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 12:20:00 AM »
Used bows, old jeans dyed brown, old plaid shirts, a tent I’ve had for 18 years and I make my own leather stuff ( Quiver, arm guard ,etc.) Put your money on boots, arrows and a good sleeping bag.
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 12:38:00 AM »
I look all year for deals on things. I buy all I can - like a dozen broadheads at a time; 100 fletch at a time ( chop my own);nocks by the 100.
 I buy wood shafts and straighten them and paint them in the cheapest way - with a spray can.
 My yearly purchase before the season always includes a new mill bastard file; which I use just before the season and through the season.
 By scrimping; I think I have only spent about $2000 on hunting stuff this year.
  plus upkeep on trucks; horse trailer; pack animals (hay etc) gas for trips bear baiting; tags; oh and $39,000 for a bionic knee......

Come to think of it- I save the most by having had paid off my mortgage ..... someday I will have indoor plumbing.... but after the elk season..

Hope this helped    :archer2:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 12:54:00 AM »
Shoestring budget is me in a nutshell.  I make my own strings & wool puff balls.  I buy raw aluminum shafts fletch them and install the insert instead of buying ready made arrows.

I hunt wma's instead of paying for a lease. When I go to a wma I hunt one that has free camping. I use to tent camp but after wanting a truck camper for 20 years I bought one after I retired from the Air Force.  A big ticket item but I figure I earned some extra comfort.  

I generally stay at the free campground at the free wma and hunt between 3-7 days.  While I'm camping I eat food that I brought from home.  After 3-7 days I'm ready to come home for a few days.  

Hunting clothes come from thrift stores for the most part.  I buy my long johns new.  Not going to pinch pennys on that.  You can buy sweaters there for a very low price.  Layer them in different sizes and you will not get cold.

Best way I have saved money is buy visiting TG.  Here I learned how to make a bowstring & puff balls.  I also learned about the thrift stores here.  As a newbie I learned how to choose the correct arrow set up and shoot properly.  Saved me time, effort and headaches.

On the other hand TG has cost me money because I have to try things other people use.  As an example I use a 2 blade head for deer.  After reading about wensel woodsmen heads I had to try them.  Earlier this week I bought some instead of sticking to what I usually use.

I don't want to even get into how I went from owning 1 bow to around 10.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 08:44:00 AM »
Pretty much everything I hunt with I either made or got in trade for things I made, generally selfbows or bow wood.  The exceptions this year are some field points and broadheads, the first I've bought in 10 years.  

My biggest and generally only expenses are gas and vehicle upkeep.  My truck needs work now so I am pondering how to stuff a deer into my Toyota Corolla microcar.  I think the glove box on the 76 Mercury Marquis I once owned was bigger than the Toyota's trunk  :)

I am a lifetime license holder so I don't buy licenses or tags.  I pay to camp every once in a while.

Find somehting you love to do and that has some value for others and use that to barter and fund your fun.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 09:16:00 AM »
Move to a place that has every animal you want to hunt.Priceless.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 09:20:00 AM »
I go without many comforts.  If I dont need it, I dont buy it.  Often if I have something that still "works" it doesn't get replaced no matter how tattered, rusty or beat up.

Thrift stores, Garage sales, flea markets and auctions will give you most everything you need.

Cook your own food with camp pots and pans.  If you are hiking Aluminum foil is a great multi-purpose tool for cooking, survival and much more.

Cook food at home and just warm it up to be able to hunt more instead of cooking.  

I often think of hunters from years past and what little they had, and did just fine.  If you make a list and separate the luxuries from the essentials you will find 1/2 of the things you have aren't necessary.  With that being said: I agree dont skimp on foot wear (including socks.  

Everything I hunt with has been gifted, hand me downs or second hand purchases. You would be surprised what people practically give away.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
NOT AT ALL.  I OWE- I OWE, ITS OFF TO WORK I GO>

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
I shop here on the classifieds where I routinely find tremendous bargains, other than that its no holds barred. This is my passion and I dont assign a budget to it within reason.

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »
i go to the thrift store and buy brown plaid shirts and brown pants.i don't buy expensive camo.usually thrift stores have a half off day.i get my shirts an pants for 2 to four dollars.good luck this season,steve

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »
I have just started in the art of making arrows, and can make them for just under $3 including field points.  Broadheads are what ever I have laying around, as long as they are sharp.  I buy every 2 blade head I can find at trad shoots and garage sales.  If I was to make arrows from 2nd's shafts, the price would be less than $2.  This price does not include the crester, just the raw material to make the finished arrow.

I have an ARMY back pack and frame from when I was in that they never asked for back.  New, to me, longbow that I traded an old Bear longbow for, or can shoot my Hill bow too.

I will not skimp on boots.  If my feet feel good, the rest of the trip is a breeze.  I use the same clothes I have been wearing for the past 10 years.  The onlything I buy new each year is a new flannel jacket.  Hunting knives are ones that I have from the service, or that my grandpa handed down to me.  They all keep a great edge, and if it ain't broke, why waste money on more junk that is probably made in China now, not the good old stuff made in the great U S of A.  

Carpool when I can, but usually I go at it solo.  This year will be a different story.  I have been invited to two new hunting camps (which I am trully honored to be accepted into them) I have always been fond of MRE's $6-8 a piece (if anyone has a place to get a better deal, please let me know).  If I do cook at camp, I eat like a king: Stuffed chops, up the butt chicken, Island potatoes (my own creation from duck camp), Shish-Ka-Bobs, I have even had our chef at work make up some chile for a fantastic feast.  My Mom works at the local meat market, so I find out as soon as there is an awesome deal that can't be passed up.

I have hunted from many different accomidations from tents, pop up campers, travel trailers, cabins and cottages and even an Island house in the middle of lake St. Clair 5 miles from the nearest launch where all you have to do is wake up and step outside to duck and goose hunt.  I have made some great connections by offering up, and following thru on my end of the bargain by trading my carpentry/maintenance services for a place to stay, and hunting opportunities on their land.  It always helps when your able to bring something to camp for all to share instead of a bow, arrows and your appetite.  PLEASE GO BACK AND READ THAT LAST SENTENCE AGAIN.  Doing so will almost deffinatly insure a repeat offer to come back.  And always be courtious and don't dominate the conversation.

I don't hunt from trees anymore(only took me one fall and a broken ankle 1/2 mile from my truck to learn that), so I save on not buying treestands.  

I have been described as being cheaper than American money, and in some aspects, that is true, but I must repeat, DO NOT skimp on your footwear.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Tyler2045

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 12:17:00 PM »
John you can do it I got two full deer at one time into a Toyota solara. break the legs and maybe the neck. Ty
Bear Kodiak Magnum 44# Amo 52"

42@28 Take-down. Black Creek Bows, Banshee. 60' AMO

Nay, in all things we are more than conquerors though Him that loved us. Romans 8:37

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 12:55:00 PM »
I'm as cheap as they get. I havn't bought any arrows in four years. Since going to carbons they just seem to last forever. I'm also a lifetime license holder in indiana (best $365 I ever spent in 1987)

I don't suffer from bow fever but did spurge on a new one in 2005.

Most of my hunts are day trips. I can hunt IL or IN within ten minutes drive. When I do go farther I take my 1990 model pop up camper.

As far as camp food goes it's usually simple and whats on hand in the freezer.

My big expenses anually are, IL residend licenses ($100 for everything), 3-d shoot costs, and a couple new strings per year.

As far as clothing I havn"t bought any new in forever and won't unless I put on weight!

I prefer to hunt in tennis shoes or rubber boots depending on the conditions. so there's not  much spent there either!

Oh and John, Dad and I once stuffed 2 200 pound bucks in a little geo metro so you should be fine! literally had antler on the dashboard and hooves on the rear glass that day!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
I make my own arrow shafts and arrows, process wild turkey feathers, made my arrow cresting lathe, make my wooden bows, buy nocks in bulk at bargain price, buy points the same way.

I usually hunted on my own property when I lived in Maine (move to Kentucky in May) and plan to do the same here.

Don't waste my money on expensive turkey permits when  $30-$35 will buy so much turkey at the store.

Almost forgot! I repair broken arrows with Reparrows!
 http://www.angelfire.com/biz/Ironwood/woodbows.html

Make my quivers and arm guards and strings too. Spent nothing this year except license fees.
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline northern fisher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
Yard sales are great.Flea markets,not so great.I find yard sales people just want to get rid of stuff,flea market people are there every week and thier prices are higher.Second hand stores have not worked for me ever since the Antique Roadshow came on ,now everybodys junk is worth a million bucks  :knothead:  .
 I keep an eye on the local sportinggoods stores for clearance sales.I just bought a pair of Rocky Whitetail Extreme boots ,regular $200.00 I got them $150 taxes in.I also like local buy N sell websites
If it wasn't for Hillary Blackburn I may have never found my way to the woods and the water.I miss you Puppy.Love from your grandson.

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2010, 02:37:00 PM »
If anyone here hunts cheaper than I do or in a more ragamuffin condition I'll be truly amazed. I think I've spent approx. $200 a year and most of that goes to Fish and Game for the license and tags!
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »
Just today on my way home from the range, I saw a sign in my neighborhood for an estate sale. First thing I asked was for Archery equipment. I wasnt fast enough case he sold two old recurves for $5 each. He didnt even know anything about them other than they were made by Bear! Ouch. I gotta start waking earlier. I did walk out with a pair of LL Bean Main hunting boots in excellent shape and my size for $3. Cant beat that as I was about to order a set on line in a few months. Look around. The deals are out there.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2010, 03:38:00 PM »
I look for the best deals I can get and I don't buy stuff until I need to.  Like if I know a jacket or pants or anything else for that matter is on it's final season I'll wait until the end of season clearance sale to buy new.  Now if something gets damaged or lost mid season then that's a different story.  I'll buy what I need to replace it if I don't have another.

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2010, 03:55:00 PM »
I once saw a guy who has plenty of money cutting feathers off of broken arrows on the range and said he resues them.

He also uses broken bungee cords ( inside rubber bands ) for cat whiskers .

Same guy built a bow that he killed over 100 animals on 3 continets with , he said he had $80.00 in it..

Myself I chop 2-4" feathers from full length- get 2 for the price of one .

I don't buy much  beef anymore, I cook with hog meat and deer meat .

Buy all my wool off tradgang or @Bay.

Don't skimp on boots either .

BUY USED EVERYTHING !

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©