3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Overcoming sudden vision impairment ...  (Read 764 times)

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
Overcoming sudden vision impairment ...
« on: August 21, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
...anyone been down this road yet ?

Last week I had a small stroke, a by product of an artificial heart valve and not keeping closer tabs on my INR (blood thickness)
I got lucky, and I have all my motor skills and most all of my vision, and for that I am thankful  However, my upper left periphery is cloudy/noisy and has really affected my shooting to the point where I may need to take some drastic steps.

I've been a recurve hunter (more accurate/confident) for a long time, and a longbow sadist for about the last 7.
Ironically it is the longbow that is now shooting more accurately for me.  I think it's the smoothness and the slower arrow. It's really hard to describe my wonky vision right now, but if I said I can't really see the arrow leave the bow I think that would be a good partial description of my issue.

Just wondering before I take any drastic steps if anyone has any pointers for me.
Considering trying to use just my right eye....maybe try going to 3 under gap ?, or even trading something for an aluminum riser recurve I can put a sight on..... and yes, I've even considered going to the dark side temporarily...   :banghead:  

Still fun to go shooting, but feels like I'm starting over, and then the frustration sets in.   :(
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Overcoming sudden vision impairment ...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
Sorry about that but maybe time will heal it.  I must shoot right eyed only because I was born with amblyopia (sp) or congenital bad left eye.  I've shot bows since the 50s and I don't think it has hurt me too much.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
Zipper Club Member, I had Heart Surgery and had My valve replaced too. Yes, keeping up on Your INR is hard at times, more so when You don't have Insurance.

With that said, No so far I haven't had any trouble with my eyes nor have I had a stroke. I would go to a eye Doctor and have him check You out.

If You do switch bows, do go with a metal riser trad bow.No need to go to the darkside.

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 11:03:00 AM »
" Zipper Club Member "

I don't care who you are ...that's funny   ;)

Sal - keep that INR up ! I was falling behind on my prescriptions too, then found you can shop around at places like sams club and find your pills for $4 a month !   :o    Yes, I'll be going to  the eye doc after a bit.

Anyone remember what they call it when you put recurve limbs on a compound riser ?  I got this old busted PSE gathering dust...... hhhhhmmmmmm

Thanks for the input guys !

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
We have guys at our club who Gap and close one eye-works great for them!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »
warf bow is what the name is.. As long as you have the right kind of rise that would work, If not try any of the metal risers or even get a PSE coyote, Kingfisher ( I'm using the Kingfisher and really like it )

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »
I guess I'm fortunate, the only thing not me after my CABG are the little pieces of staples, metal O rings, etc.  

IMO anything you can do to shoot again, light side, dark side, whatever, it's all good because it keeps you off the couch and your mind working.

Good luck with your recovery, as I'm sure you know, attitude is everything.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Tyler2045

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 12:03:00 PM »
We get my wife's coumadin at wal mart $4 a bottle but tech it is warfarin. Make sure you stay on that INR we want to keep you around. My wife has been dealing with it since she was 18 now 28 if you stay on top of it you will have little problem. She had a massive stoke at 18 and has never had a occurrence. God Bless Ty
Bear Kodiak Magnum 44# Amo 52"

42@28 Take-down. Black Creek Bows, Banshee. 60' AMO

Nay, in all things we are more than conquerors though Him that loved us. Romans 8:37

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 01:55:00 PM »
Thanks Tyler ... yep I'm signed up to get into the INR clinic program.   :(   I can learn, it's just that usually it's not the easiest way !    :knothead:  

The PSE idea is a good one .... also had an idea on how to make a sight adaptor to work between quiver bushings so I wouldn't have to desecrate a perfectly good wood riser..... hhhmmmm.

Keep it coming guys, you're the best !  Much Appreciated !
   :campfire:

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 02:08:00 PM »
Put a sight on it. Start with taping a toothpick for a site.  It may help.  You can even close one eye!
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
It happens to me too often, but the cause is migraine headaches, not blood pressure or stroke. I can tell you this, though, it is possible to recover lost brain function. Keep the faith and stay up on your meds. Like others have said, do what you must to stay active and positive.

One thing is for sure, we aren't getting younger, and despite our best wishes we have to compromise or work around physical issues the older we get. I've got my truck packed since last night for a sunrise deer hunt and woke up with such severe lower back pain that instead I'm here, posting on tradgang and living vicariously through the successes and posts of other hunters...    :deadhorse:
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline Davt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 02:49:00 PM »
Gordy, continue to shoot. Even as we get older the brain retains some degree of "neuroplasticity" the ability to form new connections and pathways. After a week I you have not reached your baseline, you may see some positive results in your shooting over the next weeks and months. I would not make too many dramatic changes in your shooting right now if it is not too bad. Talk to your neurologist about stroke prevention and follow those recommendations to avoid further problems.
Dav

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
Davit from Woodbury !   Howdy neighbor !   :wavey:  
(I'm in Hugo)
I'll be following up with neuro in a couple few weeks.  Things ARE better since the hospital (St Johns)
Have only been out shooting 3 times since...which I learned is much more important than being able to drive to the range !  ;)

What you described makes sense. Almost like some left over ghost image in part of my vision field....like the signal is a little slow but is better than a week ago.

Thanks for the input !

Offline B/W lvr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »
I lost part of the vision in my master,left eye from a stroke caused by my platelet level going from 1 to 675 suddenly. Clot in eye loss of vision. At first it affected my shooting but now I'm almost as good as before the loss. Just keep shooting your master eye will change but it doesn't really matter to an instinctive shooter.you will be fine just don't let it bug you. Frank

Offline Don Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
Advice from a medical perspective... before you do anything drastic, just give it some time. If the visual field defect is part of your stroke syndrome and not related to, say, another clot to the retinal artery, it's highly likely that it will improve with time, and it's only been a week. Furthermore, even if your vision doesn't change, you may well be able to compensate for it instinctively (and please, no arguments about what "instinctive" means!) This problem may well take care of itself. Don

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
After my 1st  stroke, I was able to relearn shooting all over again. I had not been able to average 7 out of 10 in the bull at 20 yards again, however I was getting close. I woke up one early June morning and went out to shoot as is my normal routine. I found that I could not even hit an 18 in 1 Rhinehart 3 out of 10 times. Well I continued to shoot over 600 arrows a week with little improvement. I focused on form to no avail. My balance and motor skills seemed quite compromised. I finally noticed that my bow arm was not pointing toward the target unless I willed it there and that I could not find my anchor. Closing my eyes and touching my nose was impossible and my already compromised typing skills had me 2 keys off. My neurologist confirmed two weeks ago that I had at least 2 more strokes.

So I started back to grilling the absolute basics from the Shooters Forum and am coming to a much clearer understanding how certain aspects of form actually contribute to the outcome. Actually every aspect of my form has been compromised. Thanks to Trad Gang and my desire to persevere I am actually starting to form some groups.

Traditional archery must have its own mystique for I seem incessantly driven to shoot well no matter the obstacles encountered.

Maintain faith, hope and desire for you may never be close to what you ever were but you may harvest more enjoyment than you ever had.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2010, 10:43:00 PM »
Well I don't really have any suggestions other than to take care of yourself and get well, we have some major ice fishing to do on that "secret" lake this coming winter;)

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »
I had a fairly severe eye injury to my right eye. I am right handed. My vision came back to 20/100.  With a contact lens I can get 20/40. It is very cloudy. I am also rilght eye dominate.

For a while I thought about going to left handed shooting, but thought I would give it a some time to get used to my eye sight problem.

Long story short, I shoot with with my good left eye closed, and gap shoot.  Once I get my yardage; I draw, then I close my left eye, and concentrate on keeping the bow steady.

Even with blurred vision, I can still shoot as good as the average guy.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Mike Manassa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2010, 12:51:00 PM »
What Don Thomas said..I had a horse kick me in the face and it ruined the vision in my left eye..I am still shooting a recurve bow with  good success..You will learn to adapt to the vision loss..Mike

Offline sstewa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2010, 04:30:00 PM »
Hang in there and give it some time.  I've had back and shoulder surgery, and was not able to shoot for almost 10 years.  Started again and took my time.  I now shoot a 60# bow regularly.  I feel it, but I know I'm alive.  I know it's not the same as a stroke, but again, start slow and you'll find what works for you.  Good Luck.
Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead...when your longbow with a blunt will work!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©