3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quiet? Recurves can be quiet.  (Read 723 times)

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
Quiet? Recurves can be quiet.
« on: August 21, 2010, 11:43:00 AM »
Okay, maybe YMMV, but when I bought a '72 Howatt Hunter this summer I took note of the previous owners little tweeks. He was obviously a more experienced archer than I am....

Last evening I shot a few bare shafts with it. I could not hear the bow. At all. Only the arrow hitting the target down range.

Really.

I  mean zero noise. Silent.

The bow has two sets of cat whiskers on a D50 string and lambskin limb tip silencers over the string grooves. I have a 5 arrow Great Northern quiver on the bow and a Bear weather rest, cut down with a custom side plate of the soft side of velcro as well

Just sayin'

Dial it in folks!

And good hunting!

Joshua, tickled pink.
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quiet? Recurves can be quiet.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »
My black widow is amazingly quiet with just the spider silencers on it.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
Properly tuned any recurve can be quiet. Once finding the brace height which the bow prefers, and finding the best nocking point, it's just a matter of dealing with shelf clearance. After this is done correctly I find a little padding where string comes in contact with limbs is usually all that is needed on most my recurves. Only a small percentage of my recurves really need any type of puff ball or spider leg tie on silencers. In fact, I find using brush buttons will sometimes eliminate the need for tie on silencers on bows which tend to have need of the tie on type. JMO

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
I have a Blacktail Elite that is very quiet with just Beaver Hair silencers on it.
Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 04:00:00 PM »
i had a zipper recurve made by bob thompson that was quiet as a church mouse with string puffs and the felt in the grooves.it was very smooth to and fast.makes me wish i still had it.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline soxbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
Hitman, I have a have a maIII and it seems to have more noise than it should have, Has a low thunk sound. whats up

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »
I still don't understand why we need to pad the string or groove.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
Sounds like my HABU, whisper quiet, heavy arras does a Bow wonders ...

Offline Bowtie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 10:24:00 PM »
Yep, recurves can be VERY quiet. My Assenheimer recurve with beaver fur string silencers is super quiet.
The work praises the man.

Offline Cal bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
My widow is also very quiet with just spider silencers and fairly heavy arrows

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
FWIW...... had about 14 hunting recurves over the years, never had to pad the string grooves.
Twist it up, don't pluck, marinate then grill.

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 10:56:00 PM »
One persons idea of silent maybe different than another's.......heck I can hardly hear my wife anymore...lol.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 02:08:00 AM »
ron w you hit the nail right on the head...i get every bow i own as quiet as i can and if its not quiet i sell it.all depends on a persons likes/dislikes. i just love a smooth quiet bow.the felt in grooves eliminates string slap.you'll never know its noisy unless you put the felt on and try it out.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 05:34:00 PM »
Timing and tiller with the right brace height really quiet down a curve. Limb design does too. The Statics are much quieter than the working recurves IMHO. The EagleWing Talon Static is queit enough to hunt with with nothing on the string except a nock point. I do use tiny beaver balls though cause they just look cool. God bless you all , Steve

Offline shbne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
Last week the wife and I were up scouting on horseback.

I turned to say something to her, and noticed she was gone, must have fallen off her horse somewhere.

It was a good thing, I'd been worried sick for the last hour that I had gone deaf.

On a serious note is there a systematic method to getting ones bow as quiet as possible?

I always just shot heavy arrows and called it good.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 01:21:00 AM »
I was listening to some videos of people shooting bows. Yes listening not watching. Every time I heard a loud bow I would look to see whether it was a longbow or recurve. Low and behold, EVERY time I looked the loud bows were recurves. I wish I knew the secret to making recurves dead silent, but longbows can be made quieter than recurves without as much work generally speaking.

And I am usually a fan of recurves over longbows. Except a longbow with a recurve grip....

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 01:56:00 AM »
Indeed! Thanks for sharing!
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 03:06:00 AM »
Buckeye hunter the secret in the case of my recurve is the geometry of the hook. It is round and tight and the string rolls up on it instead of slapping. It sounds justt like a d and r longbow. Actually there is really no need for silencers. Its really that quiet. Limb slap is the culprit. If you have not been to my site check out the Talon limb and strung profile. The string comes abruptly off of the hook. Even at full draw you are still barely off of the bow limb with the string. This also makes for an incredibly smooth draw sycle with no finger pinch. I have heard that some of the other statics such as Dryad and Sheepeater and Quick styk are quiet like that too. I have not shot them personally so can't say either way.God Bless You, Steve

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 07:27:00 AM »
I tried an Assenheimer (static) for a while and it was the quietest recurve I have heard.

However, the quietest bows I have owned or heard were one piece R/D longbows.

It is worth mentioning that I owned a 3 piece longbow that was louder than any of the bows I have owned. Sold it for that very reason. It was smooth and fast but it produced substantial reaction from game.

My arrows are heavy, bows tuned properly, and in the case of the above noisy bow I was using 2 sets (4 total) of cat whiskers.

Offline HB3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 11:43:00 PM »
Sixby is right, I went to a shooting clinic in Ft. Worth and Wingnut had a static tip recurve that was as quiet with nothing done to the bow as the other bows with silencers, long bows included. I now have a set of his limbs for my Dalla riser and they are very quiet, more so than the one longbow I have or any of my other recurves. They also don't stack at long draw lengths which is another plus for me. I have a second set of heavier limbs on order.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©