3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Success From 5ft Up?  (Read 537 times)

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
Success From 5ft Up?
« on: August 21, 2010, 04:38:00 PM »
I purchased a little packable stand that weighs like 11 pounds and some climbing sticks. My thoughts are to carry the stand and 1 climbing stick and, if I find an area that looks promising; I'd hang the stand about 5ft off the ground with the one climbing stick. To me this would be a lot easier than trying to tote around 3 sets of climbing sticks plus all my gear.

Anyone ever done this and had success so low to the ground? All suggestions and pointers welcome.   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Success From 5ft Up?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 04:40:00 PM »
I think in the right spot, with good cover and a favorable wind, you could do just fine. People kill game from the ground every year, it is a matter of how you plan it. Good luck.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline mater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 04:43:00 PM »
I had a climber a few years ago, all I could find in a good location was a tree that split about 8 feet up. I took a nice buck with my stand at that height.
 I think you should consider two sticks though.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
I know brushed or blinded in on the ground will work -- I do it for turkey and antelope. I know 14-20' up a tree is also deadly for deer and bear.  

It would take a very special situation to cause me to hunt only 5' up a tree. You'd need lots of background cover, the terrain in your shooting windows needs to be level or better yet downhill from you. I'd want the tree to be very "limby" to help break up my outline. I've seen other folks' tree stands (even permanent ones on private land) that were only head-high. In every case I thought these stands only served to position the hunter in a much more visible situation to be caught by their quarry. In some situations the hunter would have been better off to sit on the ground under the stand.

The stackable climbing ladders are so light and compact these days (I love them) they aren't much burden to carry.  I like to use 1-2 as my first steps up a tree. Then I use strap-on steps from that point to above my stand so I can climb above it and safely step down into the stand. If I'm concerned someone will hunt my stand (I'm not) I could take the ladder section down and hide it.

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 05:25:00 PM »
I think 5 feet up would put you in direct line of sight for a whitetail. I would either stay on the ground or go higher.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jmatt1957:
I think 5 feet up would put you in direct line of sight for a whitetail. I would either stay on the ground or go higher.
My thoughts exactly.  Not worth lugging the extra weight to me.

But it can without a doubt be done...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Tyler2045

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »
I have killed deer from 10' off the ground I think I would carry two sticks. Ty
Bear Kodiak Magnum 44# Amo 52"

42@28 Take-down. Black Creek Bows, Banshee. 60' AMO

Nay, in all things we are more than conquerors though Him that loved us. Romans 8:37

Offline GREATBROWNKNOCKEMDOWN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 05:48:00 PM »
I'm 5"6 and a couple years ago found a spot where i could set my treestand where the platform touched my head ,.and used one stick to get into it. Any higher i could not get a good shot off, ended up killing a couple deer in that low stand. Almost as good as gettin one off the ground. it works great as long as you have good cover. I'll be trying that spot again this year. Good luck.
Big River 1pcs longbows 60 47@26
Big River 2pcs longbow 62in 50@26
Big River Flatbow 60in 57@26
Dave Ricke Recurve 60in 47@26
WISCONSIN TRADITIONAL ARCHERS
Neosho Archers

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »
Thanks for the input so far everyone.    :thumbsup:   The area I'm looking to do some walking in has a lot of low cover from the trees. I figure if I can find a tree with good shooting lanes, put my stand into the wind I might get lucky and have something meander by. If the wind plays right, I will keep the stand on the uphill side of the trail and at 5' up, the angle should not be too steep.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 06:35:00 PM »
If I were really concerned about carrying the sticks I would carry some strap on or screw in steps instead. If I am concerned about mobility I use my climber.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »
If you find the right spot it may even be better than a high stand.  Each new hunting spot has it's own personality and will dictate stand placement.

I once had a stand at 5 feet in a tree and saw deer every-time out. was seldom busted and when I was it was because of stupidity.  That was in a cluster of 3 pine trees.

I agree I would carry 2 climbing sticks for versatility.  If you find a branchy tree you may only need one and can climb the rest of the way.

Versatility is key unless you have spots picked out already, even then Versatility is good.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 10:24:00 PM »
I probably wouldn't mess with it for 5 feet in most circumstances. But every situation is different. With the right background cover you might be ok.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
I think it would work very well with a gillie suit. Hap

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 12:46:00 AM »
One of my buddies uses just the top section of a ladder stand, 6 feet tall. He's killed several deer from it, wearing a leafy suit.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 01:31:00 AM »
I would think about going 2 sticks and spacing them as far apart as you feel comfortable with and adding a tree step or 2.

I use 3 of the small lone wolf sticks that are only 18 inches long.Its next to nothing to pack in and will get you up reasonably high.I do space em apart further than most guys would though I believe.If your in descent shape its not a problem though.A little flexibility and some strength and your good to go.

On a side note I like the easy up climbing belt sold by Three rivers to install tree sticks,steps and stands.Its fast,easy and doesnt take up alot of room in your fanny pack or backpack.Can be used as a deer drag as well.

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
I would stay on the ground if I wasn't going higher than 5 feet.
bolong

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 12:15:00 PM »
If I was only going to hunt 5 feet off the ground...I'd leave the stand at home and hunt off the ground.

Unless of course it was some RARE set up that called for it.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
In the right area, 5 feet is fine.  It gets you a downward shot angle which means a found arrow and a lower exit hole.   Needs to be thick.  I hunt a marsh and there are no trees in most of the marsh.  Sitting on top of a 5 or 6 foot tall ladder amongst the dogwoods gets me what I want.

I have a certain tree that I use where I don't use ANY sticks.  The stand is about 3 feet high.  It gets me above the ground cover and gives me shots.  I am on the back side of the tree from the trails that I expect to see deer on and I have seen plenty from that stand.

In the open woods... probably wouldn't work.

ChuckC

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
I had a spot that I just used the top part of a ladder stand (about 5 foot). I put on a tree that had brush in front of it. when I was sitting I could see the trail, but when I stood up I had a great view of the trail and deer walked right past me. Only got busted once when a deer walked right up to my stand from behind me.

Offline Tree Rat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 04:19:00 PM »
It's about all been said. Could be good, bad or ugly.

I did have a natural tree blind years ago that was right at fingertip height with your arms srtaight up. Had four does and a six point walk  directly under me. I was in between two eight inch trees on a blowdown trunk. Took the six point at three feet from the tree. It's about the situation at hand.

I have also used a hang on stand to keep me out of 8-10" of water. Technically a tree stand. Realistically a ground blind.
Not all Squirrels are nuts....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©