3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tip for Lighting Your Way w/o Spooking Deer  (Read 696 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tip for Lighting Your Way w/o Spooking Deer
« on: August 21, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
A buddy of mine, Jim turned me on to this several years ago.  We use small red lights (I use LED he uses a red filter) to help us manuever in the dark to our stands.  The deer don't notice the red light like they do white light.

Bass Pro has a really cool one made for Military helments. It is about $59 but has white, red, green, and blue LED. It is very compact and olive green. Has big clip for hat bill.

I think I'll turn the blue one on when I'm returning from the stand with a tag filled!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tip for Lighting Your Way w/o Spooking Deer
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »
Yes sir, been using red lights for years now    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline 1kwikstik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
I've been using a streamlight headlight for a couple of years, with green LEDs. I really like it, when you turn it off, you haven't lost your night vision like with a white light.
What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us. What we have done for others lasts forever.

Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
I really don't worry about it.. Unless you are really close to your deer, they will pay little heed to a light (Ever look around while out in the country at night? There are already a multitude of lights out there, from farm lights to car head lights etc etc.)
If you  are close enough to spook them with a light, you are probably going to spook them anyway.
The good thing about a red light (or a green one)is it doesn't dilate your eyes and ruin your night vision.
Unless it is really dark as no moon and no stars, there is typically enough light to see the trail with if you let your eyes adjust, and move slowly.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »
use no light, and save your night vision.  I have a hunting buddy thatmust always have a light with him no mater what.  I think he is scared of the dark, but that is another subject.  He uses one of those head lights, and no mater what color he has on, it invariably ends up pointing straight in your eyes, and then you can't see.  Just learn how to operate without one, and life will be much simpler.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 11:16:00 PM »
I agree with Grapes, though in my younger days, about 40 years ago, I was known to rubber band red celophane over the lense of my double D flashlight for navigating in the dark.

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 12:29:00 AM »
I use a green light.  Same principal.  My eyes do not adjust as well as some, I guess.

I really can't see that well in the dark and have taken enough spills without a light that I won't walk thru the woods without one now.
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 01:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by Earl E. Nov...mber:
I really don't worry about it.. Unless you are really close to your deer, they will pay little heed to a light (Ever look around while out in the country at night? There are already a multitude of lights out there, from farm lights to car head lights etc etc.)
If you  are close enough to spook them with a light, you are probably going to spook them anyway.
The good thing about a red light (or a green one)is it doesn't dilate your eyes and ruin your night vision.
Unless it is really dark as no moon and no stars, there is typically enough light to see the trail with if you let your eyes adjust, and move slowly.
x2
  I use a light more often than not, but I don't worry about spooking anything and I still see a lot of nice deer.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 01:29:00 AM »
I tend to use moonlight whenever I can and use a red lense when it is overcast or moonless.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 07:11:00 AM »
I like the safety factor with a red lens of being identified as a human traveling to and from my hunting location and not tripping over stuff. You never know who's out there.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »
I don't worry about it too much myself.If it is a place I am really concerned about using a light I just wait until daylight to go in.Light or no light most times a deer has you pegged if you get close enough anyway.

I am more worried about spotlighters and dummys to cross a field at night with no light than I am about spooking a deer anyway.    :scared:   jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Grapes:
use no light, and save your night vision.  I have a hunting buddy thatmust always have a light with him no mater what.  I think he is scared of the dark, but that is another subject.  He uses one of those head lights, and no mater what color he has on, it invariably ends up pointing straight in your eyes, and then you can't see chit.  Just learn how to operate without one, and life will be much simpler.
You obviously don't have snakes and alligators where you hunt 8-)
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 09:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by Biggie Hoffman:

Originally posted by Grapes:
use no light, and save your night vision.  I have a hunting buddy thatmust always have a light with him no mater what.  I think he is scared of the dark, but that is another subject.  He uses one of those head lights, and no mater what color he has on, it invariably ends up pointing straight in your eyes, and then you can't see chit.  Just learn how to operate without one, and life will be much simpler.
You obviously don't have snakes and alligators where you hunt 8-) [/b]
X2 for me.   :scared:   The terrain I hunt resembles a jungle more than open farm country. Lots of stuff to get hurt on...plus lots of standing water.  BTW: anyone know if there are studies that show which is better, red or green, as far as being less likely to spook deer?
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline Davt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
Red can help but it is important to move quickly and quietly. I think crashing around due to not having enough light can be worse in spooking deer than the light itself. Another note, don't use to much light as it will affect your eyes and ability to dialate in poor light conditions. I also try to avoid having to hurry.
Dav

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »
Good point, Biggie.  I don't have snakes (at least not poisonous ones) and gators where I hunt.  Would probably use a light in those areas.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 10:25:00 AM »
When I'm hunting established stands at the home area I rarely need a light. However, if I'm hunting unfamiliar areas, especially in zero moon I like to use a light (sometimes I cover the lense with my hand and only let thin rays come through my hands. I want to be quiet and keep stuff out of my eyes.

Also, if I'm leading someone to a stand that isn't familiar with the area I want them to use a light to be quiet and comfortable.

When I hunt during firearms season I make sure I have a small light to help keep tresspassers from shooting me.  When I lived near Newton, Kansas a turkey hunter was killed about 1 mile from me by a tresspasser.

Spotlighting (casting the rays of a light over fields) is illegal here in Kentucky except for a farmer checking cattle. Landowners got tired of poachers (and a few recreational viewers)from casting headlights over their houses -- some had their houses shot by these lovely people.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010, 04:00:00 PM »
If there is a hole in the woods I'll find it...or more like they find me. I'll use a light or head into the woods when it is "just" light enough to see shapes (trees). I have always heard the green and red lights were good.

Seems like there is always something on the ground that wasn't there last time. If it is, I will find it and fall over it.   :knothead:

Offline pickaspot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »
My favorite "walk in" light is a small Petzel head light with a red filter that flips down to protect your night vision. It is a big help climbing in the dark. LED provides long battery light and it is more rugged than the clip on the bill type.

I pay lots of attention to wind and where the deer are likely to be (so as not to bump them)in planning my approach. A goof on either of those things will spook them more than a flicker of light - in my opinion.
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." H.D. Thoreau

>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline FurFlyin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
I've got a green pen light.  It looks like a camo'ed ink pen.  It's made out of aluminum, it's water proof, and runs on one AAAA battery.  It's had the same battery in it for the past 3 years.  I think it's a Stremlight, but not sure.  You can use the clip and slid it on the side of your cap bill if it's a really dark night.  Most of the time I just point it at the ground behind me, so I don't get clipped by a centerfire rifle while walking out of the woods or field I'm in.  I have very good night vision, I mostly just carry it for safety.
Brad

I've missed every target that I thought I would

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »
I like to use reflective tacks tacked to tree trucks. Work great with a white light. I've never used them with a red light. Might have to try that.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©