3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tip for Lighting Your Way w/o Spooking Deer  (Read 695 times)

Offline chad graham

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tip for Lighting Your Way w/o Spooking Deer
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »
i dont use a light unless im on a blood trail.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2010, 05:25:00 PM »
I never thought that deer were spooked by lights, after all they see headlights and other lights all the time. I just use a flashlight if I spook deer it's because they winded or heard me.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
I have had small deer walk Up to me when going to stand, When using my head light that has red & white light… Either one could be on and the deer still was just eating and walking my way… I had the wind in my face, Boy did they jump when I said "Hello There Tender Viddles"

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2010, 06:10:00 PM »
I use a miner style Energizer LED that I got at wally world for less than $10.  Just slides on your head and turn it on.  Has red and white leds in it.  I wouldn't suggest using the led style for blood trailing though.  I tried it once and you can't see blood with it for some reason.  But I agree that the red lights are the way to go.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Red Boar:

Originally posted by Biggie Hoffman:

Originally posted by Grapes:
use no light, and save your night vision.  I have a hunting buddy thatmust always have a light with him no mater what.  I think he is scared of the dark, but that is another subject.  He uses one of those head lights, and no mater what color he has on, it invariably ends up pointing straight in your eyes, and then you can't see chit.  Just learn how to operate without one, and life will be much simpler.
You obviously don't have snakes and alligators where you hunt 8-) [/b]
X2 for me.     :scared:     The terrain I hunt resembles a jungle more than open farm country. Lots of stuff to get hurt on...plus lots of standing water.  BTW: anyone know if there are studies that show which is better, red or green, as far as being less likely to spook deer? [/b]
One trip over a highwall and it's over! Not to mention finding your way through all the multiflora bushes would be a little tricky. I use a Petzl headlamp with a white light until I get over the highwalls and close to my stand. Then I flip the red lens into place.

Biggie, scared of a little ol snake are you?
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
Mike, That's exactly what I do with my Petzl Tac-tikka    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2010, 12:30:00 AM »
I'm a retired wildlife biologist. I recall (but wouldn't swear to it) that deer can't see the red light.

Night Wing, my buddy uses the tacks and ties along his trails and the red light works well to light them up. This friend will even take a rake to the woods after leaf fall to clear debris out of the trails he walks in on to help him move quickly (some of the walks in are nearly a mile)and quietly.

Where I hunt there are no headlights in the woods. Of course the deer are used to such lights when they are around roads and houses. However, just like they expect to smell people when they get around our homes, they don't expect it in their core areas. They probably don't expect bright lights in the "woods" either.

However, having written all this, I can't say I've ever spooked a deer with a light, even with white light. But the reason is because I wouldn't know if it was from my sound, my form, my odor, or my light that caused the spook?

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2010, 03:25:00 AM »
I'm not convinced that deer can see "any" artificial light...  Get in your stand dark early and test this.. Make no noise and if the wind is right simply shine a light at deer.. No reaction on any I've done this to unless they see their shadows...
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2010, 07:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bowwild:
I'm a retired wildlife biologist. I recall (but wouldn't swear to it) that deer can't see the red light.

Night Wing, my buddy uses the tacks and ties along his trails and the red light works well to light them up.
Thanks for the confirmation.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2010, 07:20:00 AM »
Nor you have those nice teddy bears called Grizz,following you along the trail.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2010, 09:01:00 AM »
Tell em Biggie. Like to see them webs, with spiders attached, before they wrap around my face too.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by Grapes:
 use no light, and save your night vision.  I have a hunting buddy thatmust always have a light with him no mater what.  I think he is scared of the dark, but that is another subject.  He uses one of those head lights, and no mater what color he has on, it invariably ends up pointing straight in your eyes, and then you can't see.  Just learn how to operate without one, and life will be much simpler.  
That is what I do.  No lights until you are blood trailing.  If I use a light it is only on the way out or in an unknown area.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
I've been poked in the eye by branches enough that unless the moon is very bright I use a red headlight.  All it takes is one unseen gopher hole to end your season.  I rolled my ankle on a loose rock last season even while using a light.  Besides, as someone mentioned, I like the other hunters to know I'm a human in case they want to cheat the legal first light and shoot at sound.

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2010, 10:44:00 AM »
Ever since I had a compound shooter draw on me in the dark  I use a light.  I thought I was safe being 80 yards from the edge, good thing his bow squealed like a wounded rat when he drew it back.  Another time a friend of mine waited until total darkness before he moved, because we were invaded by a father and son with in line muzzle loaders.  He heard a double metallic click and instantly yelled, just to hear the groaning from the pair about how they thought he was a deer.  Private land is no guarantee that you won't be at risk.  In our part of the state it is not uncommon to have early season muzzleload road hunter taking long shots at deer out in fields from the roads. For those who wish to get defensive about sharing seasons with the high powered muzzle guns, so be it.  The situation is what it is.   Back when we just had the late season with the cap and ball crowd it was not much of an issue, they were a different type of hunter than some that I see now.  The light makes hunting safer, at least I would like to think they know that deer don't have lights.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2010, 11:27:00 AM »
one good stick in the eye and i went back to using a light... usually a red lens but just to keep from totally losing my night vision
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2010, 11:42:00 AM »
Have to agree with "Biggie" on this one. No gators, but rattle snakes are no fun when you can hear them, but not see them. Safety is also a consideration, especially when hunting public land in rough country. Might give the red lens a try.

Offline jonathan creason

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
A couple of years ago I was sitting in the stand late one evening when a lone doe wondered in.  She was milling around and eating, so I decided to wait a while to let her move on.  She didn't until it was well past dark, so I thought it would be a good idea to test this theory.  I turned on my red light and shined it directly at her.  She didn't even seem to notice it, just kept right on eating.  Then I switched over to the white light.  She blew, jumped, and looked right up at me.  I turned it off for a few minutes to let her calm down, then turned on the red light again, with no reaction.  White light was the same story as before.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »
I think it was either Gene or Barry Wensel who had written here back a bit ago where they intentionally were lighting deer (maybe hogs) to see reactions, and if I remember correctly, there was little or no reaction....
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline TommyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
I second the green LED lights.  I've had stare-down contests with does using those things when going to my stand in the morning at less than 20 yards.  If I were a less than ethical hunter, I could have added a half a dozen deer to the freezer.
TommyBoy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©