3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Following suit...Who's from Michigan  (Read 1800 times)

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Following suit...Who's from Michigan
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
Yes. But there's a 20 acre lake there too, straight behind the white house, although it's tough to see from M-15. It's across the road from Huff lake. My family also owned property on the lake across from Lake Louise. I believe it's legal name is Long Lake, but we always just called it "the back lake". A buddy told me there's a develpoment there now that's basically stalled/abandoned due to the housing bust.

Frankly, I haven't been down there in about 10 years and I don't care to see how everything has changed.

Things have certainly changed around there. I remember as a kid, when we'd night fish for bass or bullheads and there'd be a car coming down M-15 every couple of minutes. After midnight, it could be 20 minutes between cars. Now you couldn't get out of that driveway due to traffic most of the time.

The only places to eat were the A&W, Renders restaurant and the Nickelodean, back when the the restauarant was in the front, where the beer store moved to. If anyone was around there then, you'd remember the nasty live Parrot that was in the old restuarant.

I remember the first housing development of "high end" homes that started off of I-75 and M-15. Back then I remember my dad marveled that anybody with the money to build such homes would choose to move out there, in "the country".

You can never go back to your youth, but my memories were so fond of that place, like a rural Huck Finn paradise, that I don't think I want to see it again.

The fishing and duck hunting was fantastic and the rabbit and pheasant was decent. Oddly enough, I remember the first deer I ever saw there, since there never was any deer there.

It was in the early 1980's and I jumped a doe while rabbit hunting. I couldn't believe it. Seeing a deer there, back then, was as unexpected as seeing a bear there. Of course, now there's deer all over down there.

The lake produced some whopper pike. The biggest was a 22 pounder that I caught on a July late afternoon in 1977, after seeing Mark Fidrych pitch a in a losing effort at a 1:00 pm start at Tiger stadium. Quite a day! LOL

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »
I live in Cheboygan right on the Straits of Mackinac, beautiful area if you are retired or a tourist, one of the worst unemployment rates in the country! Lot of repo houses cheap if anyone wants to move north! LOL
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2010, 10:25:00 AM »
I was born and raised in Mount Morris just north of Flint.  I moved to Holland in 2001 and this is where I have been since.  I still make it to the east side of the state to visit my family on occation.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Todd Greenwald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »
Born and raised in Pennsylvania, until I married my wife. She wanted to be closer to her family in Battle Creek.  So 7 years ago we moved to Southern Michigan in the Battle Creek area (Hickory Corners).
Michigan Longbow Association
USMC 1992-2000

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
I grew up in Lansing, moved up to Manton in 1980 when my Dad retired, this is where he grew up. I'm 4th generation on the Old Home Place.

Eric

Offline Bmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2010, 12:20:00 PM »
Born and raised in Marshall and still have the family farm to hunt there.  Currently living in Crystal in Montcalm County.

Offline soxbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »
Homer all my life

Offline Paul Newton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2010, 02:06:00 PM »
Jeddo

Offline Bob Stager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
Marysville

Offline bluemoonrising

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
I grew up in Monroe--when there weren't any deer--and I now reside in Temperance. Peace!

Offline Todweelz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2010, 03:42:00 PM »
Grew up in Troy, now live in North branch, half way between Flint and Port Huron ish, about four miles from Lapeer state game area, lots of small game and a few deer too.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2010, 03:52:00 PM »
Are any of you guys Masons ?

Probably not,  this thread is still here.
ChuckC

Offline coconutdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2010, 03:52:00 PM »
I moved "up" here in '01. I'm still a buckeye at heart. lol.
Someday you'll regret the things you didn't do.
Michigan Bowhunters  (life member)
Michigan Longbow Assc.
NRA  (life member)

Offline Dean Lintz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »
I have lived on same block in Constsntine fo 48 years. Didn't move far from home.

Offline chad graham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2010, 05:09:00 PM »
eaton rapids.

Online kstout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »
Southwest of Big Rapids.

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
:wavey:   Grew up just a few miles south of the Big House in Ann Arbor, a little town called Tecumseh. Left for college and came back with the soon to be Mrs. Would like to head further north though, someday!
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
Amazing all the guys who have chimed in, and that dosen't even include the countless others who are from this wonderful state who haven't seen this thread yet.  I'm sure that our paths have crossed somewhere, and hopefully we will meet out in the woods and be able to loose a few arrows together.  Happy hunting to all of you...And just think, we are all following in the footsteps of Fred Bear.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
Happy hunting!!!  :D

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
I've lived all over the eastern part of the state. Grew up in Bad Axe, settled in the Ann Arbor/Ypsialnti area for a while after I got out of the Navy. I now live in North Branch and work in Waterford. I've hunted the same chunk of real estate in Bad Axe most of my hunting life, but looking to move to Kentucky in a few years as soon as my youngest son is out of school.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©