3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cresting arrows-compatibility issue  (Read 1027 times)

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Cresting arrows-compatibility issue
« on: August 22, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »
Hey Guys

I've been building woodies for a while, useing Helmsman spar urethane for a finish and Testors enamel for cresting, has been working fine.

BUT when I use Testors silver for highlights, the metal flake in the silver runs when I put the next coat of finish over it.

? can I spray a water base poly over the cresting to seal it and go over that with the Helmsman.

? use a different silver paint.

The silver paint is the only issue here, everything else is fine.

Thanks

Eric

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cresting arrows-compatibility issue
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »
Would like to find out myself. Thanks.
Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Billyjack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 11:23:00 AM »
I have seen this happen likewise. I no longer coat over the cresting,they hold up just fine.
 Gordon

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 11:42:00 AM »
I gave up on both silver and gold. They just don't work for me. Anything I put over them makes them run. No over coat and they are the first to rub off.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline luvnlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »
Give Profin a try for your finish. I use acrylics and have not had an issue with them runnung.

Offline ridge runner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
Eric, try letting them sit for 24 hrs if you use the silver, If you try a water based sealer the same thing will happen, ( thats all I use) it only happens with the silver, but letting it dry for a day works good for me.

Offline jarhead_hunter

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »
I have been cresting with blue and silver Fletch-Lac for the last 35+ years.

Never had a run or a problem with Bohning's paints.

Still using most of the arrows I originally crested in the mid-70's.

Charles.
Semper Fidelis
1st Mar Div RVN 1968-1970
1st MAW RVN 1966-1967

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 03:03:00 PM »
Luvnlongbow, your close. I just happened to remember I have some Acrylic enamel silver from Bob Burton. I put some lines on a test shaft, let it dry, went and dipped it and it looks like its holding.

So I did a real test, put some black testors on a test shaft let it set up, then put some acrylic silver lines on it. Let it dry and dipped it. I guess I rushed it a little, the black hadnt cured yet and ran down the shaft, but the silver stayed put. So I re-did it will let it set till tomorrow and dip.

Eric

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
I have been using ProFin for my dipped arrow finish and it some sweet finish.  I have been cresting with Testors enamel and found out the first time that the silver runs in an 'oil' based finish.  Now, I coat the crest with water based Polyurethane after the Testors has dryed for a couple days.  I use a foam brush to apply while the shaft spins in the crester - use enough Poly, not to thin.  Let the Poly dry well and dip in ProFin and no running of the silver.

I am going to change over to acrylics for cresting to avoid that overcoating of Poly to save time.
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
I don't know how long you let them sit once crested, but a good rule to live by when working with wood and finishes, is to let everything you do sit for a day.  Don't rush anything, give it time to set up, and 24 hrs is just about right for everything I do.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
Ray, I'll find out tomorrow, but it looks like just switching to acrylic silver will do the trick.

Eric

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
Yep, that is what I did too.... switched to all acrylic enamels from testors to use with my Profin topcoat. I had problems with gold and silver running on me in the regular enamels. If I let them dry for 3-4 days it worked okay, just got tired of waiting that long and always worrying about my gold and silver outlines running on me. No worries now with the water based acrylic enamel from testors.
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »
Use minwax as the sealer and minwax spray for the top coat after you have let the paint dry 24 hours. Just a couple of light coats. I would suggest the regular gloss poly as the top coat spray as the Helmsman will yellow your colors. Krylon Crystal clear works well for the sealer / top coat as well.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline levibear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
I use testors clear spray over cresting and had no problems
Never trade time for money, cause when your out of time money don't matter

Offline RonL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 10:56:00 PM »
I use Testor Gold and next day coat with Minwax water base poly using a 1/2 in wide brush. Never had the gold run.
RonL

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 10:37:00 PM »
Like otheres mentioned, I use testors paints. I use ProFinish oil based poly to seal my shafts after staining, then crest with testors. I let it dry at least a day, then I dip the shaft about 1/2" past the cresting in water based poly, hang it up and dry overnight. When dry, you cannot see the overlap spot of the water-poly. Then I apply either one more coat of poly using the ProFin, or I use gasket laquer. I could just leave the fletch end fishished with the last short dip of water poly, but I have found that fletch tape slips a little on water poly. So I use an oil poly for my final coat.

I like the tape, its very durable, and much faster tofletch a dozen arrows.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 08:13:00 AM »
Thanks for all the great info guys. Looks like my experiment worked. I put some black testors on a shaft with some acrylic silver over it (24 hrs ago), just went out and dipped it and it looks good. Its been 30 minutes and nothing moved, so it looks like a fix.

I didnt realize you could intermix oil and water base paints and finishes. So I learned a thing or 2

Thanks

Eric

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 08:19:00 AM »
Eric.
Do you crest all colors at once or do one let it dry then the next etc... I'm new to cresting. Thanks.
Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
Magnus

It realy depends. I dont leave a paint jar open longer than necessary, its suprising how fast it starts to dryout/thicken up. Paint consistancy(thick/thin) is very important, too thick-it wont flow freely and leave the paint too thick on the shaft. Too thin-gives poor coverage, can sag when the shaft stops spinning.

If you will be putting a highlight stripe where 2 colors come together, those 2 colors dont actually have to touch so you could do them at the same time and leave a hair(litteraly) gap between them that the highlight will cover.

No highlight line, so the 2 colors must come together I will do 1 at a time. Usually the time it takes to cycle through a dozen shafts is enough time to go to the next color with out messing up the first.

If the crest is, say %50 or more of 1 color I will do that 1 color and do the others on the next cycle.

Highlights,  I wait till the main colors a quite dry.

I may be overly cautious, but there is no "eraser" for this stuff. Once you touch the brush down, thats it.

Hope this helps

Eric

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 10:16:00 AM »
Magnus

The first arrow shows what this thread was about, you can see the silver next to the black was dosolved by the finish.

The second arrow, the (supposed to be)fine black lines, shows the paint is a little too thick for a fine line. Have to stir it up a little, or add some thinner once in a while.

I got a lot to learn too, but it sure is fun!

Makes ya truly appreciate the arrows the other TGer's post.

Eric

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©