3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ticks and ghillie suits  (Read 577 times)

Offline LeverActionman

• Trad Bowhunter
Ticks and ghillie suits
« on: August 22, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
Anyone have ways to keep ticks out of your ghillie suit.I have a real problem with deer ticks getting in my suit.I thought about the permithin spray but it only gets on the outside treads and not the under side threads.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ticks and ghillie suits
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 04:54:00 PM »
Hang the suit by its cuffs, and spray a second time.   :saywhat:
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by LeverActionman:
I thought about the permithin spray but it only gets on the outside treads and not the under side threads.
Permethrin is the way to go. It will just take some extra work. Spray the outside AND the inside then let dry. Then just start pulling back a layer, spray it, pull back another layer, spray it, etc. until all layers are sprayed.
Romans 8:28

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
or hang it upside down so all the stuff hangs the wrong way, then spray.

ChuckC

Offline trapperzeke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 09:59:00 AM »
Look for the permethrin as a soak instead of a spray.  the Sawyer brand is sometimes available at my WalMart or Meijer's.  It comes as a small jug and a bag big enough for 1 set of hunting clothes, so you may need 2 for a ghillie.  I've seen a thread on another hunting site where you can get the same chemical in bulk concentrate at Home Depot and dilute it down properly for this purpose much cheaper.

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »
Back in the day the local farm co-op used to have a "dip day" you could take the coon dogs down and get them dipped.

Find out where one is near you, put on your ghillie and have the wife take you down there. It would be worth it just for the show.

Offline Brad_Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
You can get it in bulk concentrate. Try a TSC or some type of farm store. We get it and mix our own to spray on horses before trail rides.
“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
– Aldo Leopold

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©