3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: $2.99 Improved My Shooting  (Read 777 times)

Offline Got2strum

• Trad Bowhunter
$2.99 Improved My Shooting
« on: August 22, 2010, 03:55:00 PM »
I have been struggling a bit getting arrows in tune with a Centaur I picked up a while back. I got them flying decent, or so i thought...
My rest was getting pretty worn so I went out to pick up a new one today. I decided for the heck of it I would try a Bear all weather rest. Wow ! I can't believe the difference so far . At 15 yards my bareshafts are hitting better than my fletched arrows ! And the flight seems excellent . Only problem is that this is what she looks like now.

Is this illegal or somethin ? Haha ! Does anyone else shoot an elevated rest off a bow that is made to be shot off the shelf ?

Offline pickaspot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: $2.99 Improved My Shooting
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 04:31:00 PM »
Nothing ugly about hitting what you are looking at! Now that rest just might me another story...  :biglaugh:  

Who is the cool pup in your avitar?
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." H.D. Thoreau

>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Got2strum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 05:08:00 PM »
Haha ! Exactly. If I can get it tuned when I get another sealskin rest that will probably go back on. I was just surprised how well it shot this way.

That was my old buddy Crush in my avatar. He unfortunately passed away.

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »
I'm gonna let you in on a little secret:  Take your sealskin and cut a slit in it so the arm of the rest will fit through it, then place it over the rest and glue it down with Barge cement.  Noone will ever be the wiser that you've got a rest on there.
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
Tom, that is a sneaky AND awesome idea    :notworthy:

It truly is amazing how much better arrows fly off a simple rest compared to the shelf.  I like the Hoyt Super even better than the Bear now that I have played with them both.  Same low price...

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
Yep. I tried a Schafer Silvertip that had moleskin as the sideplate with a sneaky littly arm sticking out -- also covered with moleskin. It was the same Bear Weatherrest.

I'm now using a  springy with berger-button-style adjustability on a recurve. I'm not done with shelves -- yet.

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
Roger that, Steve.  I've got a handful of Hoyt Super's enroute right now. They're the best.  I find the Bear Weather-Rest to be too soft (the rubber) and they wear away too easily, affecting arrow spine/flight in the process.

Touch up those Hoyt's with some black paint or a marker, and you're good-to-go.
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 08:54:00 PM »

It clearly is a better set up in my opinion, all my longbows are equipped with this set up!
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline gordie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
i'm w/ steve o.

i've shot 22 yrs. off-the-shelf.
just put a hoyt super on my recurve.
its the best thing since sliced bread.
now if it only came in black.

Offline pickaspot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
Crush looks like he was a good sport. I love the Snoopy "Red Barron" lid he is rockin'in the pic. It is tough to lose an old buddy like him - lost my lab Emma back in March and my Catahoula will be 12 in September. Might be time to get a new pup soon...
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." H.D. Thoreau

>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 12:37:00 AM »
You can cut the botton of that bear rest of about an 1/8th to 1/4 inch and get the arrow to sit a little lower if you want.Right at the base of the arm that the arrow sits on.

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 01:24:00 AM »
My fatherinlaw puts the elevated rests on every one of his Widows....I don't like em.
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 01:43:00 AM »
I take a toothpick, cut it in length to match the width of my shelf, and lay it under the seal skin on my shelf (or whatever shelf material your using) just above the point where the web of my hand (between the thumb and forefinger) meets the bow, perpendicular to the arrow... The flight of the arrow afterward is fantastic as the contact point with the shelf is minimal and defined.    :thumbsup:
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
What NCH said, or a piece of leather, or sanded weed eater line...just something to give it a little bump to ride on.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 09:23:00 AM »
It all comes down to what works the best for you and a particular bow.

I believe Barry Wensel put an elevated rest on his current Dale Dye because he wasn't satisfied with how it shot off the shelf.

I haven't had a bow yet that has given me fits shooting off the shelf...BUT.....if I did, I certainly would not hesitate to peel off the strike plate and install an elevated rest. No qualms whatsoever!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Got2strum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 03:56:00 PM »
Thanks for the ideas guys. I do like to keep the arrow close to my hand, I just seemed to be having trouble with this bow. I did think about cutting the bottom off the elevated rest like was mentioned. I may try the toothpick trick though. The Bear rest is already showing wear like was also mentioned above. Having fun either way, I'll get it really dialed in here shortly.
Pickaspot, yep, a new pup does help a little. I have two crazy, hyper devils now ! Haha !

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »
I believe Jim Neaaves uses a 2 fletch technique when shooting his Centaurs.I think 5 oclock and 11:00 are his configuration.

I used an elevated rest on one of my Centaurs as well when I was having some trouble getting clean arrow flight.

The shelf cradles the arrow so its a little higher on the far left edge of the shelf (right handed bow) than some bows.

Thats a bow that may require a stiffer arrow possibly than other bows of the same poundage do to the high energy thats imparted to the shaft from his highly effecient design.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
Interesting. I used these rests for years on compounds over 30 years ago. Had a few on recurves too. Never on my LB's. I now use feather rests which do the same thing but quieter & faster.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Jim's Mom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
I was going thru the Lancaster catalog and noticed a Bearpaw rest. Black and it looks just like the Hoyt Super Rest. Jim

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »
Limbow.. Nice looking Autumn Storm you have there...Keefer's

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©