3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BACKACHE!  (Read 751 times)

Offline treetoppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
BACKACHE!
« on: August 22, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
Just thought that I would ask and see, for those of you who's back aches after a long shooting session, how and where does it hurt?  I am 29 years old been shooting trad for about as month and my back right on each side of my spine in about dead center, has been killing me.  Especially hurts when just sitting around.  Think this is related to my trad addiction? Some days are far worse than others even hurts to take a deep breath sometimes.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: BACKACHE!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 07:47:00 PM »
Don't mess around by asking us on this site. You need to see a Dr. for a proper diagnosis. There are a million things it could be and to be honest (as one who has had a "bad back" his whole adult life) for you to have that kind of pain makes me concerned for you especially at your age. Forget anything anyone on here has to say. We are not docs and even a doc, at least a good one, will run tests before he/she will venture a guess as to what might be causing you the discomfort. It could be something east to deal with or it could be something serious.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
What Bill said!!!

Your back is nothing to mess around with, period!!

IMHO

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
Get to a doc.  It is probably a muscle spasms, but that can mess with your spine and stress a lot of other stuff out if you let it pull you out of whack for a long time.  I had a muscle spasm in the middle of my back between my shoulders and to the right side of my spine about 4 weeks ago.  Just getting it cleared out after a few weeks of PT.  I could still pull my bow, but boy was I miserable in general. Couldn't turn my head much without pain for a couple weeks.  I think it was mainly my trapezius, but I plan to do some upper back and shoulder work to get everything a little stronger and better balanced.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
Suck it up, and keep on moving.  That is what my Dad and the ARMY told me.  Well after 3 years of chiropractic care, and countless pain killers, I'm somewhat back to normal, but always fear slipping back again.  If you are serious about your problem, and not just wanting to make conversation, you will make and keep an apointment with a doctor.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 06:22:00 AM »
See a doc. That kind of pain is not normally associated with shooting a bow.(nut)
Rich Potter

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 09:04:00 AM »
I don't know how well you know your body but if you feel its muscle pain rather than skeletal I suggest seeing a sports doctor and finding a routine that will help. Or see both types of docs.

In my case I found that broadening my workout to include exercises that bring blood to the area helped- shooting a bow does not massage an area the way some other exercises will.

Regardless, follow the above advice but include a doc who understands the athlete.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
I think you need to see a Doc. Probably nothing but don't take a chance.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
Something similar happened to me in May.  I've only been shooting a longbow since December and thought I could 'conquer' it by shooting more.  I was up to about 150 arrows a day - every day.  After about 3 weeks of that schedule, all of a sudden I was in terrible pain on the inside and outside of my left shoulder blade (bow arm).

I got a deep tissue massage which only helped a little.  By the next day I was in pain again and went to see my chiropractor.  Long story short, my spine was fine but there were 6 or 8 trigger points in my back that were so knotted up it took four visits to loosen them all up.

Now when I practice I only shoot until I start to feel a little fatigued and quit right away.  That's usually about 40-50 arrows.  Also, I don't usually shoot every day anymore - usually every other day.  Best part of it is, since I'm not so fatigued, my accuracy has improved.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Online cecilm

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »
speaking from experince of back pain all of 25 yrs. I kept putting off any serious doctor vists until i could not walk. One HUGE mistake, when I could not take it any more ,had MRI done L-4 was crushing my spinal cord. Had L-3,4,5 fused with titaium screws,clamps and rods. My point is do not mess around like everyone else said SEE adoc.    cecil

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 03:39:00 PM »
I started having the same pain about 4 months ago, middle of the back on both sides of the spine.  I thought it was from shooting with my back muscles because I have been holding longer which I never use to do.  Now when I go fishing and hold a rod if front working a bait slow my back starts burning and I have to stop and stretch it out.  It's differently not in the vertebrates only muscle.  I can still do sit ups and crunches without any problems.  BTW  I'm 62 and have been shooting a long bow over 25 years.

Offline RayA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
Everyone here is right. See a Doctor! A word of encouragement though. I too have had multiple times where I couldn't take a deep breath. To keep a long story short, I learned through my chiropractor that there is a vertebrae in the middle of your back that when misaligned will cause the hurt to breathe sympton. Usually one adjustment and a days rest and all is well. I am by no means trying to diagnose you just offering a report. Hope your problem is as simple to fix. Good luck.
God, family, and bowhunting. Who says I'm not rich?

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »
YOUR 29 THERE GROWING PAINS

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 06:23:00 PM »
Here's another truism.....the site of the pain is often not the site of the injury!

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
Pain is just weakness leaving your body.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
Grapes....that works in the gym but not necessarily with medical problems. My step daughter's boyfriend had a pain in his lower back. Finally went to  have it checked....stage four colon cancer...it isn't leaving his body til he dies.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »
Skip the  drugs and get to a Chiropractor asap....

If that does not help you,  well then go to an MD.  I say start conservative and work your way down to the more aggressive but risky stuff like drugs and surgery.

Just my opinion based on 33 years being a DC,

Joe

PS 4 days and 11 hours until elk season.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
I'm with you, Joe. The less invasive you have to get the better...that's why waiting is not a good idea.

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
I'll answer when I can straighten up enough to get to the keyboard!
Get to a doc.  My first severe back pain began one day when I was 30.  I have degenerative disc disease, comprssion fractures, and a bulging disc..
Noone knows what caused it.
Shoeing horses? Jumping out of planes and helicoptors and walking a long way with a pack in the Army?
Some of it may be heredity..but it hurts.  And shooting a bow sometimes really hurts!
Get an MRI or X-rays, or whatever, but find out what it is before you get any older.
I'm soon to be 51, and it has been a long painful 20 years.
Best of luck, and hope it is just strained muscles!
John
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Plumber:
YOUR 29 THERE GROWING PAINS
Yes, growing old pains.  :biglaugh:  I think I recall it starting to sneak up on me about then.  One day I was invincible and the next it was like what is this achy this and that stuff? :dunno:
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©