3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Squapan Mountain Outfitters - Who's Going?  (Read 1499 times)

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Squapan Mountain Outfitters - Who's Going?
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2010, 01:46:00 AM »
Sorry no semi-live hunt report. Unfortunately, I had to put a lot of work time in while in bear camp. There really should be a law against that.

Anyway, Jen and I had a fantastic week with a bunch of really great guys and Lynn of course.

Jen did get a lesson in hunting and understanding that sometimes the game just doesn't cooperate. She was amazing though. I've hunted with a lot of guys over the years and she can stand up with the best of them. We all know what it takes to be successful for bear, dear, or many other species when ambush hunting. Stillness and quiet. I couldn't have done better myself.

Despite horrible conditions for bear hunting Tony did a phenomenal job and all but Jen and maybe Jim saw and/or had an opportunity for a bear. Hopefully Tony will jump in with the full bear sighting and shooting report. Even though Jen didn't see a bear she never once complained and kept me in camp all week to give her the very best chance for a bear. She was poised and ready all the way until 7:40 PM tonight (end of legal hunting). She couldn't have hunted harder and I was very proud of her efforts. More later.

Offline Dick Langer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2010, 06:09:00 AM »
And who said sitting over bait was duck soup or should I say bear soup? Glad you both had a good time.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
Thanks to Bill and Dick Langer for setting the hunt up for us. Jen didn't kill a bear, but it was a successful hunt.  What better way to spend a week with your daughter than in bear camp.

We had a great time with the Black Widow Boys and it was fun hanging around with Miles (those in camp know what we mean). We also got to meet some great new friends and Jen wants to go back and hunt with Tony, Lynn, and Josh.

Thanks to all for a great time.

Here is Jen with our host Tony Boucher

Here she is getting ready to go out for the day.

Here she is sitting in the bear stand.

Here she is doing what teenage girls do best!

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2010, 07:08:00 AM »
Sounds like a good time was had by all, success is not measured by the kill but rather by the experience itself.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2010, 07:23:00 AM »
Great pics Terry. How bad were the bugs and what measures did you use against them? I was wondering if that's the Shannon bug suit that Jen is wearing.

I'm glad she wants too go back, that's a bowhunter!
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2010, 09:06:00 AM »
VTer, I think that it was so hot and dry that the bugs were virtually non-existent. We had a ThermaCell but didn't have to use. We didn't use anything and you could have exposed skin with no problem.

Yep, Jen wants to go back and she even asked about deer hunting locally. I think she has the bug.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2010, 12:46:00 PM »
Great experience for the two of you    :campfire:    :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2010, 12:53:00 PM »
She'll get one next year.Glad you all had fun.

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2010, 02:12:00 PM »
Hey Terry, I'm glad that you and Jen made it home safely.  Nothing was seen Saturday afternoon, even after the weather broke.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2010, 04:25:00 PM »
Sean, did the 3rd brother find the bear he shot?

Also, how's BigEd doing? Did Jim ever see a bear?

It was great meeting you and spending time in camp with you.  I now know what "Living History" is. I had no idea.

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
Terry,

the 3rd brother had a clean miss.  Big Ed seems to be doing well, but I believe was a little sore after his mishap. I'll let him relay that to the list.

No, Jim didn't see a bear.  It was great meeting you as well.  Jen is a heck of a fire starter!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline JPE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2010, 09:44:00 AM »
Terry it was great meeting you, Jen, Sean and everybody else in camp, Kent it was really great to see you again. Brad ended up getting the only archery bear in camp ( his first ).  I think he is fireman brad on here. Even tho I did not see a bear it was a very successful hunt. Saw old friends, met new friends and just had a heck of a good time. Tony,Dave and the 2 Reno's could not have worked harder or done anything else to make our stay enjoyable. Lynn the food was excellent as always. Hope to see you all soon. Have a good season and be safe. Did you here that Big Ed?? Jim Pyles

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2010, 11:17:00 AM »
Holy smokes, what a blast!!!!
Jim,thanks again for letting me tag along with you!!
Tony, Lynn, and the rest of gang, thanks for everything!!
Dr. Dave, you da MAN!!!!  
Was a great camp, fun to meet folks from tradgang especially!!!

Jim, you're supposed to tell em I got the BIGGEST bowkill in camp, not the ONLY bowkill!!!lol!!
I'll start a pic thread, if noone else has, I"ve got a ton of them!!!

I can't wait to kill another bear!!!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
Thanks little buddy!! I had a little mishap with a tree stand strap that broke. Thankfully I had a harness on or it could have been very ugly. Please everyone wear your harness's your first step onto the stand could very easily you last. Tie in before settling into your stand.
 The guys work there rears off at Squapan Mtn. Be sure to check them out if you want a great experience. Big Ed (PS:Might be time for a diet)LOL
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
BigEd, I'm glad you're OK. I didn't get a chance to see you before we had to head home and Jen and I were a bit worried. You're a little big to be swinging around on a safety harness.

Thanks again for all you did for Jen. It really means a lot to me to have such a positive influence around her.  We look forward to hunting with you again soon. It won't be long and we can have a father/daughter hunt.

You can also put on a lobster bake line none other. I've always heard you shouldn't trust a skinny cook. I was very trusting with you cooking! : )

Have a great season.

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
Glad you are ok Ed, thnak God you had a harness on.

Sounds like all had a great week up there.....

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2010, 12:37:00 PM »
Big Ed, glad you're OK. Good advice on hooking in. I wouldn't worry about dieting just go to chain-on stands, I've never trusted those wimpy belts anyways. Besides, you don't want to be "Average Ed".   :thumbsup:
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2010, 02:18:00 PM »
That was one of the best groups that I've hunted with. Going up alone wasn't a problem. I feel that I've made a few good friends.  After shooting with these guys, I was a bit humbled, and a little intimidated. All you boys could shoot. ( and Jen too).

I had my cast removed from my hand the Friday before I left, and was concerned about shooting my bow.  Big Ed offered me his bow, was a little lighter than mine at my shorter draw length. I didn't need it but I was grateful just the same. thanks Ed.

Tony and Lynn Boucher made every one feel at home. His guides worked like heck for us. The food was great, the conversation was excellent, the accommodations didn't lack a thing.  I passed up a bear on the second day, and Tony still worked hard to put me on more bears.  I can't say enough about Squapan Outfitters.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline JPE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »
Fireman 3311 you know we are going back in 2012 and you are always welcome in our camps. Hoping the whole gang comes back. We need to help Doctor Dave redeem himself. Till then we need to pray fore a cooler season. 90s are bad. 40's are good. Keep repeating.

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2010, 05:56:00 PM »
I'm hoping to make that trip in 2012!!!  We'll have to get Dr. Dave to pad those seats a wee bit too!!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©