3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: string ?'s  (Read 347 times)

Offline LinemanARK

• Trad Bowhunter
string ?'s
« on: August 22, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »
I am new to trad archery so any help would be great. What happens to a 45# bow if u put an inch shorter string on it will it hurt the bow and what affect will it have on the arrow?

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: string ?'s
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 02:49:00 PM »
It won't hurt it.  It will effectively stiffen the spine of the arrow.  Shorter string = shorter power stroke.
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline LinemanARK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »
will it shoot any faster and can u help with power stroke what does that mean very new to trad. archery been shooting a compound for a long time but I would really like to understand trad. archery better thanks MIke

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 05:58:00 PM »
It will also make your brace height higher which could also make your bow louder.  You may not be able to tune your bow to it's "sweet spot".    

As for whether or not it would hurt the bow I'm not sure but I wouldn't think it would do any damage but it could be hard on your limb tips, some others will know better than I do on that.

I don't think it will make it noticably faster though.

Offline LinemanARK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »
really wasn't worried about speed I guess but I had a new string off one of my Oneida's but it was an inch shorter. How do you know were the sweet spot is and many other ?'s like how do you know and understand about tiller and also making the bow more quiet. And how to choose an arrow (gold tip) with the right grain spine fleching ect. please help a new guy out Mike

Offline Bowtie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »
Rezen6.5,
Shorter string on your bow will be like twisting up your original string on the bow, therefore,
1) It increases your brace height, which generally, a higher brace height = a quieter shooting bow and should give decent arrow flight.
2) But, too high of a brace height tends to make the bow pull harder because you're stressing the limbs more.
3) On the other hand, a lower brace height (let's assume with your longer string), will make the bow pull easier and provide more arrow speed (because your power stroke is longer).  Although, too low of a brace height could cause bad arrow flight, make the bow noisy and cause recoil/vibration.
Here's where you need to experiment with different brace heights to determine what best works for you and you equipment.
The work praises the man.

Offline pickaspot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 11:47:00 PM »
Welcome to trad! Be careful...before you know it you won't even miss your allen wrenches. I used to be a Matthews guy too back when the Z-Max was cool.

The fellows above gave you good advice. Once you get going, there are several string makers in the sponsors section that can make a new one up for you that would be perfect...prob for about $15. You can even pick the colors.
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." H.D. Thoreau

>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 12:14:00 AM »
I'm still a Mathews guy and will be the rest of my life whether I completely go traditional or not. What Matt does for the kids in NASP is historic. I still count on the Z7 (Reezen last year) for my out-of-state hunting until I master a few more yards of effective range from my recurves. I'm at 20 yards now and shooting 35 yards a bit every day to unmask ways to improve my form . Not that I intend to take 35-yard shots, especially on skitish white-tails.

You've received terrific information about your question. YOur bow will have a brace height that suits it and you just right. That's one of the first things (after a nock locator)you need to determine on a new bow. A 45" bow (is this strung--it sounds like a Bear Super Mag?)

Personally, I always hope my bows will perform best at the lower end of the bowyer's recommended range. If the bowyer recommends 7.5-8.5, I start at 7.5" and move up. Most of my bows (56-62" recurves) end up 7.5-8.0" brace height.

One other thing you'll find at low brace heights is that the string is a bit better able to pop your wrist as the lower part of the forearm and the bow converge.

Strings are really cheap and many string makers (check out sponsors here)can make them up and send them to you lickety split!  I buy from Rose Oak and I think they are only about $12-14.

I highly recommend a new DVD by Tim Strickland about shooting traditional. It covers form, aiming techniques, tuning, etc.

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 12:32:00 AM »
how long is your bow rezeen and i'll make you a string and give it to you just pm me your adress

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 12:51:00 AM »
Hello from Pac aka Have gun will travel from the arkie page.  Welcome to TG.  These folks will steer you in the right direction.  I have not come up with a question that has stumped them yet.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©