3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pile On or Not -- Posting Strategy  (Read 660 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Pile On or Not -- Posting Strategy
« on: August 23, 2010, 12:21:00 AM »
Folks,
I'm curious your opinion about reacting to threads that already have posts mirroring your views, experience, or advice.  For instance, if someone asks a question about brace height and a couple of posters hit the nail on the head and you have nothing to add, do you post or not?  

I guess I'd make a case for posting -- at least until there are a half-dozen or so posts.  If only 1-2 people reply the person who posed the question might not be convinced the posted advice is well-accepted. However, when several people agree I think the questioning person is more confident of the direction he or she should take.

I'll admit though it does seem redundant when all I'd offer is "Ditto".

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pile On or Not -- Posting Strategy
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 12:26:00 AM »
i can see where you are coming from i guess it's depends on the question there are lots of times i read and reread then maybe post some times to just agree with what has already been said but i think the origanal poster would like the vote of confadence from somany ppl from all over other than just one or two

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 12:31:00 AM »
I think you post, but that is just me.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline pickaspot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 12:33:00 AM »
You make a good point. I like to see some consensus before accepting an opinion on something that is new to me.

On a related topic, it is always nice to see some answers...even on an "old" topic that crops up from time to time. A newbie may not know that the "best broadhead" has been discussed ad nauseum. If we were sitting around a campfire with a new guy or gal, nobody would be rude and say "you should have been here last week for that one".
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." H.D. Thoreau

>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 12:47:00 AM »
I agree with everything everyone has already said.
 :goldtooth:
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 12:56:00 AM »
I stay out of it.
If I can answer someone's question I do it. but if the question is already answered there doesn't seem to be much sense in me saying the same thing again.
As for trying to convince someone, I can see the reasoning there but I personally don't feel it's my place to try to convince someone. Most of the people here are adults and can make up their own minds when given the necessary information.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 03:26:00 AM »
Ditto to above.    :laughing:
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline s_mcflurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 06:00:00 AM »
Plenty of other guys around with more experience than me to give input.  I generally only post if I have something to add...which is why I say nothing most of the time.  :p
"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that and just play."
-Charlie Parker

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 06:08:00 AM »
I very seldom post anything, maybe I'll remedy that...lol
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 06:41:00 AM »
If it is something you feel strongly about go ahead and post that you agree with what is stated above.

If it is simple and straight forward don't post.

Honestly posting is up to you and how you feel your contribution will help or reinforce what has already been stated.

You will see members posting about a specific products over and over...I for one see this as a strong consensus that supports or not what is being asked about.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 07:42:00 AM »
I've been shooting for, well since 1951 so I post to a lot  of things that I agree with. I do it simply to reinforce what has worked for me. I also post when I think guys are giving incomplete info or are, IMO, misinformed.  One thing I do know, is that no one on here or any other site has all the answers and what works for me  may or may not work for you. I try real hard to post my views as "what has worked for me" or "in my experience". I have seen too many things that shouldn't work, or don't work for me at all, be the answer to some one else's problem. One thing that I have observed is that the guys with the best form, tuned equipment and eyesight are usually the best shots and are consistently succeesful in their hunts.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 07:43:00 AM »
Some people just like to hear themselves talk....
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 08:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tom Anderson:
Some people just like to hear themselves talk....
Unfortunately that might just be me!!

Too bad for for me!!

Because I can only talk about things I think I already know and that's not learning anything new.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 08:37:00 AM »
Like Bill Carlson, I try to only post based on my own experiences.  Too many people on the net become 'experts' based only on what they have read someone else say.  If I have something to add or don't feel that a subject has been fully explored or that the question has a slightly different twist from the previous 10 questions on that subject - I will likely post.

The other thing to keep in mind, and I see it a lot here, is that there are a ton of new guys trying to learn 50 years of archery experience in a couple months.  In some respects, I am one of them.  I have 45 years of archery experience but 35 of that was with wheels so I ask questions that will help me learn what's different in today's traditional vs traditional in 1965.

The other reason to post is so the rest of the community can get to know you.  If you are silent all the time - what are you contributing to the betterment of the site?
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 08:55:00 AM »
+1
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »
If I ask a question on here......and 10 people answer with the same reply......do you think I'd be "ticked" that so many are answering the same?

I can assure you that multiple folks with similar responses are going to somewhat "sway" me in that direction!  If I get 20 different answers....I'm going to have a difficult time making a decision?

Just one of the many "benefits" (so to speak) of asking questions on this site!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »
I tend to post based on my experience, I wont post on a topic that I dont have first hand knowledge of for instance (well at least I wont post advice).  If for example Ive had a good experience with a specific product I will post to a thread even if others say great things about the exact product.  I think reinforcement or concensus helps the original poster.  Same goes with products Ive had poor experience with.  I try to provide as much detail and evidence as possible since it can make a huge difference on how a product might work.  A 40# longbow might not like XYZ 7 blade broadheads but a 108# recurve might do just fine with the same XYZ 7 blade broad head.  

From my prospective I like reinforcement of an idea or suggestion from several sources, I also like to see both positive and negative views.  I feel like at least I have an informed view point before I try something new or buy something new.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 10:37:00 AM »
Interesting points and it looks like most agree that it doesn't hurt and might help to chime in even when you simply agree. I know sometimes I'll skip a thread because I see other people have provided info that is no different (and often better) than I would offer. Then, I'll see the skipped post again and decide..what the phooey and take that 98 cents up to an even $1.00!

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 11:45:00 AM »
I feel that there's no need to reply if your answer is the same as what everyone wrote.  Of course, adding more to the subject or respectfully disagreeing is always good, right?

If I ask a question and get only one or two responses that are the same, then I make the assumption that that answer is correct (or other folks don't know the answer.)

...but it does get a bit tiresome reading the classifieds and seeing responses like, "wish I had the money", or "wish it were 7 pounds heavier", etc.  Sorry, I need another   :coffee:
Lon Scott

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »
Rarely read what others have posted & try to give my opinion from my experience (as in this exact case). Maybe I covered someone's comments or not.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©