3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which is better a cart or sled ?  (Read 595 times)

Online anchorman

• Trad Bowhunter
Which is better a cart or sled ?
« on: August 23, 2010, 01:59:00 PM »
Was needing to repalce my cart that some stole. Was wondering if anyone has used a sled on dry ground and how it worked..

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which is better a cart or sled ?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »
I have a old one I got from cabela's and it's still working good for me. If I get another one it will have to have wheels. The reason is it will take a heavier load and you can pull/push it way easier. I hope this helps.

Offline TommyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 02:09:00 PM »
I have the Cabela's deluxe folding model. The wifey got it for me as a birthday present years ago. It is nice to have when something is down, but the darn thing is so big and takes up so much room in the truck, I rarely have it with me.  I use it mostly for yardwork and work on the range these days.
TommyBoy

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »
My bear outfitter in Maine, Eldon Jandreau, uses a plastic sled for snow machines and it works great.  Flat bottom and just slides over brush and other ground clutter.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 05:51:00 PM »
I have a couple of the cheap plastic snow sleds that my kids used when they were little.  With a few holes drilled in the sides for bungee cord attachments they work pretty well and keep the carcass a little cleaner.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 06:50:00 PM »
I've got both. I use the sled when there's more than 3" of powder.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 06:51:00 PM »
I use a roll up plastic sled. It's nice going through water and places with libs and logs on the ground. You can wrap the deer in it and I have a harness over my shoulders. Off I go.
Schafer Silvertip

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Craig:
I use a roll up plastic sled. It's nice going through water and places with libs and logs on the ground. You can wrap the deer in it and I have a harness over my shoulders. Off I go.
That's the kind I have..

Offline Rufus 25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 06:56:00 PM »
Have you tried a wheelbarrel?  I used one when I hunted public land and I put my climber and equipment in it and pushed it near my tree.  It worked fine for me.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
I used a 2 wheeled dolly for a couple years.  I had the one with inflatable wheels, and just wrapped bungie cords around the deer.  A little awkward, but it didn't take up much room, and was fairly simple on a 2 track.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
I've yet to get an animal but, I just a got a two wheeled cart for my birthday and it will haul up to 250 pounds with ease of pulling. I can pack my stand, pack and archery equipment into an area, stash the cart and if I get an animal down; retrieve it and haul everything out. Don't know if I can do that on a sled.   :rolleyes:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
I made a cart with a really simple design out of 1" thin wall conduit and one bicycle tire from junk day.Basicly it is shaped in a very shallow v with gussets every 18" or so.Very nimble in the woods and fits nicely on a cars roof rack.Cost 0.Never tried a sled.glen

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
cart for dry ground and sled in snow....
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
I have a plastic sled.It is good on fairly level ground.You can feel it drag as soon as you pass over stones.Too unstable for side hilling on narrow trails or steep uphill or down.Good for getting a deer or antelope out of a field though and if they are tied in,good for getting them in the back of the truck.

Offline Jd Maschino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
I have a plastic sled I bought at a farm store that's made for deer I had to replace the rope tie Downs for tug straps but works great all season here in Indiana I'm not a big Guy an I can haul out pretty big deer by myself not that I shoot big deer often I love my sled not so much on my cart

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
i do a fair amout of ice fishing.i used to make my own sleds.i later found out if you put tall skinny tires on your cart,it did a much better job.try tires like the ones on mountain bikes.they are hard to break and can handle the weight.if you are afraid you will get a flat,have them solid filled.i had way better luck with the tires than i did with the sled runners,even in the snow.the tall mountain bike tires blast through the snow.hope this helps,steve

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
I also use a kids plastic sled. It works great in snow, grass, and leaves. Works OK on gravle or sand. I have holes along sides that the pull rope is laced thru and provides bungee supports to tie the animal in. Also aids in loading into the pickup.

Offline sinistral

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
Sleds are great in snow, anything else I would go with a cart. Side hilling is a nightmare with sleds, they want to role. Have fun, Jeff

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
I use a jet sled.  Works real well on leaves, mud and grass; a must have for retrieval of anything in the swamp.  I have used it to hall deer and gear.  I can fold a deer in there and keep the head and legs from catching on stuff when dragging, and it pulls over anything better than just pulling the deer.  Keeps a bloody body so I don't get it all over the inside of the back of the truck and my other gear; a must have if you hunt in a SUV and want to stow game inside.  It also fits nice on a hitch hall.  Really makes loading game easy with two people holding the sides; just lift and slide it in.  I have a tow bar for it also to pull behind the tractor or ATV if need to hall stuff.  It fits ok between corn rows.  Not as good as a cart for some stuff, but a lot more versatile.  It also floats in the water for my duck and goose hunting needs on the water.  All year it is in the back of the truck.  I put some cardboard under it so it will slide better on my bed mat.  I use it to load up with stuff all year around.  I push it back in the bed to stow stuff and pull it out to access stuff.  Much easier than climbing in there to get to stuff.  I have even filled it with ice to hall meat when I get caught without a cooler.  This year I plan to get another because I can fit two side by side in my truck bed and they are just too handy for shopping, camping............... Best time to get them is right after the ice goes off.  Look in the ice fishing departments.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
Just notice you are from Kansas. Should be pretty flat. No worries about a sled rolling over down hills.
Schafer Silvertip

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©