3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Feral Hog ?  (Read 380 times)

Offline bkbk12

• Trad Bowhunter
Feral Hog ?
« on: August 23, 2010, 02:51:00 PM »
Just wondering I have finally got a place to hunt hogs and I am going to still hunt over a little water hole I have been throwing out corn and they are eating it but was wondering if anyone had experience with anything else, I have heard pretty much anything sweet. thanks for any comments.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Feral Hog ?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 03:04:00 PM »
Take a post hole digger and fill with some corn, kool aid packets, and 2 beers.  You want about 2 ft deep.  Bury that at the bottom.  Be sure to dig where you do not mind a hole.  Once they get a taste of the ferminted goods, they will dig a big hole.  Looks like a grenade went off!
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 03:42:00 PM »
Two beers? I might be the one you find digging out a 'grenade' size hole!    :laughing:
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »
Hogs like wallows. Ferment corn in water for 3-5 days. It'll stink just as bad & me & perigoric slim won't have wasted beer nightmares. Then just pour it out as needed. Once hogs know where it is, they'll come routinely usually very early or late.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
You have to use the really, really cheap beer!  Buy a 6 pack of like black label or something like that.  It will help with the nightmares, minimizes the sting of beer waste regret.  Those piggies get alittle tipsy, and they want to come back for more.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »
Corn works as well if not better than anything else.  Probably the cheapest and easiest to work with.  Put out plenty of corn and you don't need anything else.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
I have used corn with strawberry or cherry jello mix with very good success.  Dig the hole, add the corn, pour the jello mix on top, add a little water...they can't resist.    ;)
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »
A ranch I worked on back in the early 90"ed We mixed up  50# corn, 5# sugar, 3 packs kool aid mix (any flavor) and 3 gal water... mix well and let sit till You see magets in the mix.. Dig hole and pour the mix in.. Lightly cover with dirt.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 10:15:00 PM »
A pack of yeast in the mix will get you off to a good start as well.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline shbne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 07:20:00 AM »
Our group has tried most of it, and the plain corn wins out Like JohnV said above.

If you dump it, they will come. Less hassles, cheaper, pleasant smelling, etc., etc.

Offline recurvecody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 09:05:00 AM »
when we trap them to bring them in we tak a five gallon bucket fill it full of corn and then put apple juice in and fill it to the top let it set for a couple of weeks and then dig 4 or 5 post sized holes and fill them up. they can't resist it hope this helps you.
pick a spot stupid!

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
if you put your plain corn in water so it rehydrates, it tends to give off a tremendous amount of good smells to the piggies- think "canned corn" smell...they can pick it up for thousands of yards downwind and will make a beeline for it.

With their noses in the water and all that noise snuffling up corn they can't hear you stalking up and it should make for easy close shots.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©