3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tomahawk Diamond SS wood arrow tuning  (Read 240 times)

Offline mand0ralen

• Trad Bowhunter
Tomahawk Diamond SS wood arrow tuning
« on: August 23, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
Hi all,

I am planning to buy a Tomahawk Diamond SS 64 40@28 for the 3D range. My DL is 27,5 and i shoot split finger.

I'd be very glad to have some help with arrow tuning from experienced Tomahawk archers !

My aim is to have the lightest possible arrow to have the flattest trajectory. (penetration is not important for me ... i do not hunt)

Do you have any recommendations (wood shaft type, field point weight fletching etc ...).

Best Regards,

Mandoralen

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tomahawk Diamond SS wood arrow tuning
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »
ttt

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
Email 3Rivers and ask them. I would think that 45-50 or 50-55 cedars will do the trick w/125grn points. You could also get their test kit and find the best arrow spine for You and Your set-up..

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
If you want wood I would go with Spruce, slightly lighter than POC but # for # stronger than POC. If you want the flat trajectory and speed go with carbon. The Diamond and SS series have carbon cores making them pretty quick and strong. I have the regular Desert fox 64" 56#@28" and I got 179fps through the chrono with 535gr Gold tip trads 29.5" 5575. I got 181 with the 485gr Gold tip trad 29.5" 5575 only difference was weight up front. I can shoot pretty flat out to 35-40 yds. I see a drop beyond that yardage. I think with the diamond SS 40# 3555 GT Trads would work well cut to 28.5" I use 175gr heads and a weight insert. You may need a little less up front. The SS are quick bows. I hope this helps.
USMC 82-86

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 11:43:00 PM »
I agree with S.C. on the Sitka Spruce.  Considerably tougher than POC and a great shooting arrow wood.  I believe the Tomahawk  is cut slightly out from center, but 3RA will be able to tell you just what spine you will need. With a 70 gr point, I believe you could use a 5/16 shaft in 40-44 lb spine.  I have two dozen, but they are about 300 gr shafts and on the heavy side rather than light.  I would recommend not going below 8 gr/lb, or about a 320 gr finished arrow.  With a 70 gr point, that would be about a 250 gr raw full length 32" shaft.  Normally, I would use 4" fletch, but with the right spine and well matched you should be able to use 3 or 3.5" just fine.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline mand0ralen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 03:12:00 PM »
hi all,

thanks a lot for your message and your PM. True that Hildebrant are good shaft. The best 50 batch i had ever.
I have found the Stu's Spine calculator (seems cooool), going to play with it using the data you've submitted to me!

I am not very aware with the Gold Tip ... can't find them here in shops, how do they compare with Easton/Carbon Express ?

best regards,
M.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©