3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mixed types in same string?  (Read 257 times)

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Mixed types in same string?
« on: August 23, 2010, 04:29:00 PM »
OK, string makers, here's my question--I know guys are making strings with a mixture of dacron and FF type material.  Does one type go in one bundle and the other type in a separate bundle?  What about the fact that dacron stretches and the FF types are much lower stretch/no stretch? Does the dacron stretch but the other doea not until they even out?  In self-made FF or D97 type strings, what happens if you do not get the tension just the same on every strand?  Does it act like a very, very thin string on the nocks?  Lots of pondering on this one so give me your insights.....Dave
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mixed types in same string?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 04:36:00 PM »
I posted on this about 4 years ago and really came under fire. I have mixed the bundles about even. Just make sure that the FF is enough to stand alone that is at least 4 strands per side. I made several that never broke, were much quiter with 4 FF and 3 dacron per bundle.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 04:54:00 PM »
Mike Treadaway used strings like that for years, and stil does as far as I know.  He said he's had no problems (I believe him), but I don't trust strings like that.  It amounts to the material with less stretch carrying the load--the other material is basically just a silencer. You just as well use a low strand count FF string, except the extra strands might come in handy in the case of an accident where a sharp rock/broadhead/whatever came into contact with the string.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »
LBR, kinda what I thought as well.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 06:47:00 PM »
I haven't mixed string materials in the bundles,but I've padded my loop ends of my D97,8125 and 450+ with dacron.I can't see any advantage in using a strand or two mixed in with my bundles.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 07:26:00 AM »
David, if you want a quieter bow then go ahead and experiment around with mixing the two materials.

You can add dacron strands to the FF bundles or make separate bundles of each. Right now, I'm using 9 strands of FF in one bundle and 5 strands of B-50 or B-55 in the other bundle. I've tried the three bundle string of two FF (5 strands each)and one B-50 (5 strands) and couldn't get any better results than the two bundle string.

The dacron is easily stetched once the strand count is reduced from a normal count string. So you simply cut the dacron strands about two inches shorter and take the slack out of the dacron strands right afer making your second loop and before final twist-up. I like to make the FF bundle about an inch longer for extra twist-up to really mesh the bundles together.

Give it a try David, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. ART

Offline harvestmoon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 07:52:00 AM »
I use 6 strands TS1 and 4 b50 in a endless loop and this is really much quieter than just FF.  As for stretch, the 6 strands of TS1 do a lot of stretching...much more than 10 or 12 strands, so the b50 is really getting stretched as well.  Just make sure the FF strands are able on their own to carry the pull.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©