3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who has had success in California so far this year?  (Read 461 times)

Offline Jim's Mom

• Trad Bowhunter
Who has had success in California so far this year?
« on: August 23, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »
California's A zone opened in mid July and some other zones opened this past weekend for deer and Black Bear.
  Anyone got any good stories and/or pictures to share with us yet.
  It's still early for a lot of deer and bear seasons so I am editing this to include small game and predators.
  Jim

Offline Lonehowl

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who has had success in California so far this year?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »
Im embarrased to say this..but I missed a HUGE bear at 10 yards yesterday...long story..   :(
Mark

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »
Long stories here fly well, lets hear it  :)   I have been out several times now and haven’t closed the deal. I am heading to Lake County for the end of the General A season, sometimes the bigger bucks start to snoop around then lookin for ladies? I will be hunting with my bow during the rifle season but have private property to hunt. I might also take the Kayaks and check out the hard to reach spots on Indian Valley Lake. My freezer is running on empty I need to connect soon   :)
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Jim's Mom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 07:47:00 PM »
Coaster, I saw the Big Jim Buffalo Bow you got. Beautiful bow. I liked it so well I ordered my own today. Same woods.

I haven't been out yet. Got tied up with a few things at my mom's that have to be taken care of first.

I have tags for D7, archery only and bear. I will probably be in the Beasore Meadows area of D7 and also have some private land to hunt.

Lonehowl, lets hear your story!!

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
You are going to love your Buff  :)  Remember it's manditory to post pictures for Trad Gang members  :)

Good luck in D7....
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Lonehowl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 10:10:00 PM »
Not good at tellin' stories, but here goes...

Archery bear(and deer) season here in California, so…Sunday I loaded up the recurve and drove an hour to a spot I had in mind up here in the Sierra Nevada mountains. I parked the truck, broke out the gear and hiked about 1/2 mile to the area I wanted to hunt. Several roadhunters stopped and chatted with me, and none of them had seen any bears in the area at all. I was a little discouraged, but no biggie. As they were tearing up the dirt roads, I decided to climb up to a small ridge, breaking thick brush on the way, to hunt along a trail I discovered a couple years ago. I set up about 15 yards off the trail. I figured they could run some thing toward me if I was lucky.

After an hour and a half, I could hear a jeep driving back and forth down on the dirt road below. After a couple minutes, they took off. Then…I heard it.. a huge crash, limbs breaking bushes rustling. Then, I saw the thick ferns begin to move, and after a minute, a huge head peeked out from behind them..BEAR! Actually…a HUGE bear….brown as all get out, rare for here. So, I stood perfectly still…waiting..then, he started running right at me! I froze for a second, not knowing if he saw me and was po'd, or he was just trying to get out of there asap. He ran right to me and stopped on the trail..8-10 yards, if that, in front of me. He was huffing and puffing, and kept looking behind him as if he had something chasing him. I quickly came to full draw…and let er fly. I remember thinking..slam dunk, bear down, I got this. But…it was not to be. I shot right under him! At 10 yards! I heard the arrow hit a rock, that sickening sound. I knew I had missed. He jumped forward about 5 feet, and turned toward me. There was a tree between him and I, and that cover gave me just enough concealment to nock another arrow. I drew back, just as he took off, snapping, huffing and puffing. He stopped another 30 yards( my self imposed limit) out but offered no shot. After a little staredown, he crashed down the mountainside, unscathed…and very lucky!

Offline Jim's Mom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 12:43:00 AM »
Coaster, It will be 5 to 6 months for the Buff Bow to get done. Yes, pictures will be in order.
  Lonehowl, Must of got the old heart pumping a bit!! I missed a bear a few years ago too in Zone D7. He started to run just as I shot and I missed him. It all happened very fast. Good memories.
  Hopefully I will get to post some pictures of a successful hunt here this year.
  I am thinking with all the rain and snow we had this past winter and early spring it may shape up into a good year. Should be a lot of feed coming up.
  Anyone else got something to write about. Jim

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 12:47:00 AM »
:banghead:
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 12:58:00 AM »
Jim, the wait is worth it  :)

Lonehowl, hey at least you almost made contact of the bear kind.

That must have been a rush for both of you!!!

Thank for sharing  :)

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 01:02:00 AM »
Jaun, I thought you would have one cut and wrapped by now?

:campfire:

Offline Lonehowl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »
Dont mind saying my legs were a bit rubbery after that.
 Missed a bear near that spot a couple years ago..saw him walk up a trail..waited 20 minutes then stalked up the trail with an arrow nocked.
 Suprised him laying under a tree on top of the trail, he stood up and I got a long shot off, but shot high and my arrow grazed hair on top of his back and stuck in a tree. Bear ran off unharmed.
Ill be in the same spot Thursday for round 2 with that bear.

Mark

edit..I really do practice a lot...just have a curse with bears!

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 01:01:00 PM »
Keep us posted  :)

Good luck...

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by coaster500:
Jaun, I thought you would have one cut and wrapped by now?

:campfire:  
Not yet... Hopefully Friday or Saturday evening.   :pray:
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 07:40:00 PM »
Can't shoot bows right now with my muscle injury...

can't talk on here about what happened last weekend  :goldtooth:  it was not trad bowhunting related. It did involve two of the Holy Trinity though, and it wasn't oysters!

With the cold weather moving back in this weekend up around here it should be good. 100 + right now but will go down to the high 60's, low 70's with partly cloudy and rain in the forecast starting Friday.

Juan, you'll get it. Your shooting is right on and all you need is the opportunity to put an arrow in the pump station. You'll be calling me this weekend with stories rather than the other way around.
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline Jim's Mom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 10:03:00 AM »
up! UP!!

Offline Jim's Mom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 10:06:00 AM »
up! UP!!

Offline Jim's Mom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »
ttt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by BTH:
Can't shoot bows right now with my muscle injury...

can't talk on here about what happened last weekend   :wavey:

Offline Jim's Mom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
Lonehowl, Have you had a chance to go back after that bear yet? Keep us posted. Jim

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
Do cotton tails count   :rolleyes:   Got to about 65yrds to a big forkie but no closer. Have next week of so see what happens.Be in D6. Have a archery only so I might try on the west side..Peach orchard . Seen does and fawns so maybe a real dumb buck might show. Its hard not paying attention to the coyotes be glad when deer seasons over.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©