3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: MFX Classic and Adapter Rings?  (Read 206 times)

Offline stickbowhafe

• Trad Bowhunter
MFX Classic and Adapter Rings?
« on: August 23, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
I'm shooting 3rivers mfx classic 400's and love them. Does anyone use those adapter rings to make a smooth transition between the slimmer mfx shaft and your typical broadhead?  Is it necessary to use them? I hate to get too complicated and would rather just shoot my stingers, woodsmans, or muzzys as they all fly super.  Let me know if you use or have had experience with the adapter rings.  Thanks.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
Re: MFX Classic and Adapter Rings?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 10:35:00 PM »
Yep, I shoot the MFX Classic 500 and believe me, using the adapter ring makes for pulling your arrow out a lot easier and won't tear up your target. My 125gr Snuffers work and fly great with this shaft. I also have shot my 135gr Zwickey two blades with great success.   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 06:03:00 AM »
Keep in mind: These adapter rings prevent the back of the broadhead from screwing down tight against the shaft. The adapter acts as a tapered spacer between head and shaft, albeit a fairly weak spacer. This means little if you never hit anything solid with your broadhead. If you DO hit hard bone, a tree, etc...the adapter can deform...it can damage the end of the carbon shaft...or the broadhead adapter shank may bend. I've used them, and I've seen it all happen. I don't use them now, because I consider them a weak link in my arrow, and I don't need problems.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 06:14:00 AM »
I use a 2 inch section of aluminum arrow shaft to foot the end of my MFX 500 Classics and that eliminates any need for an adapter ring and strengthens the business end of my arrows. I use 2020 shafts to do this with so my broadheads fit almost flush and I wouldn't consider doing it any different because it works so great! Oh, and I put a champ-fer on the back end of the footing so they're easier to remove from targets.

58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline bucksdown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 08:16:00 AM »
i guess i'm a little behind times, i've never seen these adaptors, what is there purpose?  :dunno:

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 03:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by bucksdown:
i guess i'm a little behind times, i've never seen these adaptors, what is there purpose?    :dunno:  
The Beman MFX shaft is very small in diameter(9/32") causing a big difference in size where a broadhead screws onto the end of the arrow. This isn't a problem except when shooting into an expensive target when practicing with broadheads, causing loss of target material when pulling the arrow out of it. An adapter ring fits in between the point and the shaft, gently tapering the diameter of the broadhead down to the smaller size of the arrow shaft so that there's not such an abrupt difference in size where the two meet.    :)
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline stickbowhafe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 06:27:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies and advice. My only concern was that they were necessary to have a proper setup with broadheads and therefore strengthen the situation. If they are simply for a "smoother transition" from arrow to point but are not as strong as just arrow cinched up tight next to the broadhead I think I'll avoid them.  I don't shoot targets for broadhead tuning anyway.  I live in the sandhills and there's lots of nice natural backstops.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©