3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wedding During hunting season  (Read 1208 times)

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wedding During hunting season
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2010, 06:14:00 PM »
He'd have to be an awfully good friend.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »
aint no way Iam going.If he only lives an hour away an I anit seen him in a year

Offline pickaspot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
Fall weddings are a double whammy here in SEC country. Not only must you avoid hunting season, you better make sure there is not a big game on! Ignore those rules and plan on hearing crickets during the "I do's"  :D

My anniversary is Sept 2 (#10 coming up soon)- before dove season and my Tigers were off.

I can only think of one reason for a huntin' season wedding...paint the shotgun white!    :scared:
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." H.D. Thoreau

>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
A childhood friend was married on opening day of bow season back in the 70's.  I didn't go and told him it was because of the date. I would have likely been the best man.  In fact, I'm of the firm belief this fellow's wife-to-be chose this date as a demonstration of her control over him. He has the reputation that he has to get permission to mow the grass these days.

When my wife and I were planning our marriage (1978) I told her July and late November were okay to me -- before or after important hunting season dates. She knew that was part of who I was and was happy to set the date in mid-July.

I voted differently than this. If the fellow is a true friend, they are very rare. I have three guys I consider strong friends for whom I'd do almost anything.  If they were getting married during hunting season (they wouldn't-- that's why we're friends) I'd go.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
Just tell him you will make it to the next one.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
Cyclic-Rivers,
I'm curious.  Are you married, if so did you invite this fellow and did he attend? Does he hunt?  Does he have another passion and if so what would his reaction be towards you if you scheduled something like this during an important to him.

I agree with those who would and have give up days of hunting for children, your spouse, your parents, or you very best friend -- one you talk to multiple times weekly and visit several times a year even if you live 243 miles apart.

The term "friend" to me is a very powerful relationship -- stronger than a brother in some cases.

Offline jtwalsh62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
Mistake
jt walsh
 be still and listen

Offline blazelefty7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
Actually had this happen last year.  Cousin asked me to be best man at his wedding in Florida...I was in florida Nov. 7th-10th....it was rough.

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2010, 07:15:00 AM »
During general season yes, during the rut no way.

Last year some people had a post wedding party for my brother in November.
I told my bro I would not be attending and my other brother and I each got a doe that evening. My brother (newlywed) is a bowhunter himself and was jealous and happy for us.

Both my children's birthdays were intentionally planned to be well after November.

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2010, 08:46:00 AM »
Biggie and I missed JoeBuck's wedding due deer season- but then again we were told by Matt Schuster that he planned it that way and counted on that!

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »
My brother-inlaw got married sept.9 some years back, just when the bulls start getting fired up.
My wife bought a plane ticket back to the state the wedding was in and never asked if I intened to go, I sure love her.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2010, 09:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bowwild:
Cyclic-Rivers,
I'm curious.  Are you married, if so did you invite this fellow and did he attend? Does he hunt?  

The term "friend" to me is a very powerful relationship -- stronger than a brother in some cases.
To answer your questions, Yes I am married and No he did not make my wedding. He and his soon to be wife decided to go camping that weekend 20 miles away and My wife and I were married 2 miles from his house.  It was a small informal wedding at a horse farm.  The only thing we required people to bring was BYOB and something to add to the food table.

Since he will not be reading his, I will add I never cared for his Fiance. I firmly beleive she was instramental in them not coming.  

This doesnt concern me much Since being with her was who he was and being a friend I accepted that. We had many mutual freinds wich is the pushing factor for me to make it to the wedding.

I have lost touch with that crowd somewhat mostly due to people growing up, starting families, and moving away.  I was one of these guys! Now I am about 1 1/2 hours away which isnt far but is far enough to slowly start a rift.

Its only an hour drive and one afternoon. It will be nice to see some old friends.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline weedwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2010, 10:11:00 AM »
Kill the deer Sunday or next Saturday.  I got married on a Saturday in October and killed my biggest traditional deer to date the Sunday before.  It was a week and two weekends out of the best hunting month of the year but she's worth it.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »
Heck I slept on the couch nine months before Oct-Nov   :bigsmyl:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
All my friends know better than to invite me to a wedding during any decent hunting or fishing time.  That leaves July and August and perhaps March, if the white bass run isn't starting early.  Even then, I'd probably send a card if it's a wedding I approve of.  They make my stomach turn.  If it's one I disapprove of (most), I would probably send a concerned letter instead.
Silence is golden.

Offline arky714

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »
sweeney spoken like a true arkey...dave

Online VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
Seeing as there my good friend, they'll understand when I'm not there.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Worm5503

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
Heck, I went hunting the morning of MY wedding...divorced now though.  I would definately give up one day of hunting for my close friends, but I consider them family.
Jeremy

The worst bow I ever had was wonderful.

Offline Tommy Leach

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
I have a nephew who got married on opening day three years ago. Had a morning hunt, and then an hour and a half drive to the wedding. Not a bad day. I was married on opening day of dove season (Sept 1) 26 years ago. It used to be a real important day for me, since then it has meant even more. I also have never forgotten an anniversary! Tommy
Oklahoma Selfbow Society - Past President
OSS Founding Member

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2010, 10:43:00 PM »
One of best friends got married during hunting season. I just made it after getting home from a great hunt. He is a hunter, fisherman, all around outdoorsman. The wedding is just one day. It's all the anniversaries he'll have to plan around now.
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©