3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tall Guys with long draw  (Read 648 times)

Offline Big Nate

• Trad Bowhunter
Tall Guys with long draw
« on: August 24, 2010, 05:03:00 PM »
After years of compound bow shooting I purchased a PSE Impala Take Down Recurve in February. 55#@28".  I absolutly love traditional archery now.  I have no interest in shooting my compound at all now.  Recently I noticed that my limb is twisted.  After calling PSE it is under warranty and i will be getting new limbs.  PSE told me that the reason that the limb twisted is that my draw length is to long. (I have approx a 31" draw)  

Has anyone ever heard of having a draw length to long for a recurve?  Im going to buy something different now.  Any suggestions on what would fit me better since I have a longer draw?  Would a longbow help alievieate the stacking at the longer draw vs a recurve?  
I am a newbie and any help I can get would be very much appreciated.

thanks
Nathan Whalen

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tall Guys with long draw
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 05:08:00 PM »
You need a 66" recurve or longbow, whichever would be your preference.  That pretty much puts you in the custom bows to get one that long, unless you want a standard longbow like Martin and Bear offers.  Personally, I would recommend something a bit different.  Keep your eyes on the classifieds and you may find one that someone is selling.  Wes Wallace and Blacktail both offer recurves in that length.  They will hit your pocket book though.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline MSwickard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »
Keith Chastain's Wapiti TD recurve is well suited for long draw.  

Wapiti Bows

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »
You are not alone.  After completing Rod Jenkin's shooting clinic my draw length opened up to 31 1/2".  I put footings on 6 arrows so I could still shoot a wood arrow.

Shop the classifieds and try out bows.  I recently spoke to the founder of RER (cant remember his name) and he has a 31" draw or something close.  I also know Scott Mitchell of Timberhawk has a draw length longer than 29".  These bowyers have long draw lengths in mind when they design a bow.  You might find an old 66" target recurve you can dress up for hunting.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »
I have a 30-31 draw depending on what I wear,and that's why I prefer to shoot a longbow (fit us big and tall guys well).Besides I like the way I look shooting it,its more Robin Hoodish    :goldtooth:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »
The limbs are not twisted because of your long draw.  That is not why limbs twist.  

You definately need at least a 66 inch recurve or a 68 inch longbow to avoid stacking and finger pinch.  I have a long draw length and shoot a 68 inch longbow. No stacking, no finger pinch, and smooth drawing all the way to anchor.  

I can highly reccomend Wes Wallace as a bowyer.  Tricia and I just stopped by his shop yesterday and put money down on her second royal and I put in an order for my new one as well.  His wait time is 7 months on a bow.  His bows are worth every penny he asks for them.  Every time we visit him I end up picking out new woods I want in another bow.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »
Howatt Hunters are good out to 31 inches I believe. I draw 30 and no problems. I think Charlie Lamb has a longer draw than mine and he shot a Hunter for years. He would know regardless.
I don't agree you need a 66 inch recurve. Just one that is made for a longer draw. It does not follow that the only design option is a longer bow to accommodate a longer draw. Hunters are 62 inches and just one example. Steve Gorr of Cascade bows told me I could shoot their 56 inch recurve, no problems.  

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
I have a draw close to 31" and prefer recurves with lengths from 64".

Margly
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline speedwalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »
I have a 31-32" draw depending on how I shoot.  If you want a longer recurve, I shoot a Border Black Douglas.  With the right limb/riser combination you can make a 66" bow.  They're great bows and you won't regret it.

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 07:25:00 PM »
A friend of mine has a 33" draw and shoots a 64" Bob Lee and a Keith Chastain's Wapiti TD recurve. He just order a A & H take down longbow @ 66".
Schafer Silvertip

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
Dan Toelke has a brand new R/D Long Bow model called the 66 that was created primarily to accomodate long draw archers. you can see one at  www.montanabows.com,  click on "current bow inventory". I have not shot one yet but the short story is if Dan Toelke makes it, it will shoot superbly and be beautifully crafted.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
I guarantee you that you will not be overdrawing a static EagleWing Talon Recurve in either the 62 or 64 in model. as too the Longbows 66 will work for you if it is built right and if it is a d and r. otherwise the 68 and up. I have pulled the Talon onepice 56 in bow 32 inches without hitting 90 degrees on the string.God Bless You and good luck , Steve  To my knowledge no standard bows such as the Bears or Martins will work well for you.

Offline AndyTheCornbread

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
My Dad draws around 34" if he draws full to his face so he snap shoots with a floating anchor around 32" and he shoots a 68" or 70" longbow. I have a friend with a doweling machine make the shafts I use for his arrows extra long. I kind of doubt your draw length twisted the bow but for comfort sake you may want to start shooting something a bit longer.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
I draw 32" and have no problems with a well-designed 62" recurve. Chek-Mate Hunter 2s are good, as are Bob Lee takedowns, Black Widow SAs, and TradTech Titans with good limbs.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
my turn to chime in here, and at 33"+ of draw, I feel I am more than qualified to discuss options.

I shoot mostly r/d (hybrid) longbows, though sizes are 56" - 68" (yes, I said 56"), and a 62" recurve.  No issues with stacking on these bows.  I do recommend a longer bow 64" or more as more user friendly, but hard work will allow you to shoot any properly designed bow.

The most important thing I can tell you, is to talk to the bowyer - he knows what his bows can do.  If he can't tell you straight up, then pass.  There are lots of them that can work for you.

ChekMate, Hill Country, Chise's, Griffen, Shrew, Blacktail, Big Jim's, and on and on and on (please take no offence to anyone not mentioned, there are many more).  Some won't, and as said, forget the "classics" or the mass production.

It also doesn't require a mortgage to ge a good bow, just proper homework.  You may need to custom order one to your specs as 3# of weight is "typical" for each inch past 28" (if it isn't stacking), and thet may not be a common build weight at the 28" standard.

I have been blessed to find some decent bows, and so will you.

BobW
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
i posted some things on here about pse when my impala riser blew up..pse will say whatever sounds good to cover their arses.they said i shouldnt use a wood riser for bow fishing..i have a 29 inch draw and mine stacked like no other...you da man
i like biscuits

Offline Elk whisperer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
is yourdraw 31 compound or trad
The older I get the better I was

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 10:05:00 PM »
Treat yourself to a bow made for that draw.  There are some great options out there.  For easy to find or get fast for a new bow a BW PCH 60" will do it.  PSA 62" will go more than you need.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 10:59:00 PM »
I gotta agree with Jason Westbrook and BobW.

I'm also in the 32" or so draw club and bow design is important.  I've shot 58" recurves in the 45# at 28" range with no problems.  For a smooth all around usable recurve, I like about 62" though I have some in the 66" and 68" range.  My buddy had an old Wilson Brothers Widow in 62 inches that pulled like butter but they are scarce.  Depending on design, many 62 inch recurves can feel VERY smooth even at 32" draw.  As they get longer, design is less critical if looking only for smoothness.  I've got two old Root Targetmaster recurves that are 68" long and I can pull a 33" BOP arrow all the way back till it falls off the back of the shelf without it feeling like it stacks.  But these are early 50's models with woven glass and no reflex/deflex and performance is only average.  Plenty good for sure but not in the "speedy" category.

Now, even though I have a bunch of recurves, I don't really ever use them for hunting.  My "go to" bow is a 66" hybrid longbow with quite a bit of reflex/deflex.  It too will pull smoothly out to about 34" or so and is a joy to shoot.  I've got a 64" mild R/D longbow that stacks at about 29.5 inches and caused me all sorts of trouble with target panic, short drawing and stuff like that.  (It was my first bow when I got back into archer as an adult)  My brother has the exact same bow in 66" by the same bowyer and it is nice and smooth to my full draw so the extra length made a big difference.  In something like a straight or backset longbow like a Hill style or similar, I think I'd have to go out to at least 68" and maybe 70" to get the same smoothness at my draw.

If I were you, I'd look on fleabay for a nice used recurve about 64" long for under $100.  You could could look for a used longbow but because longbows weren't massed produced in nearly the numbers that recurves were back in the 50's 60's and 70's they just are not as common and if you find a used one, it will likely be newer, (last 20 years) and will bring a lot higher price than a 70's era recurve.  

You will however have a small advantage when buying because of your long draw.  You could buy a bow that is marked 40 or 45 pounds at 28" and if you are pulling 32" you would actually be pulling 50 to 60 pounds at your draw.  Plenty for hunting!  Those old bows are common in the 45lb range.  Most people with normal draw lengths feel that is on the light side for a hunting bow so that weight does not bring the premium prices that a "hunting weight" bow of 50+ pounds.  You can find them pretty cheap if you don't get in a big hurry
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline HB3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 11:17:00 PM »
I have a long draw and have been amazed at the Dryad Epic limbs on my Dalla riser. They have no stack to them, they are a static limb, get Mike to explain. They are also really quiet because of the shape and the string hitting a curved rather than flat surface. I think the quiet is real important. I first saw them at a shooting clinic and later got to shoot a friend's. I now have a set with a second set on order.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©