3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Multiple Broke Strings. Advise Needed  (Read 184 times)

Offline RecurveHunter01

• Trad Bowhunter
Multiple Broke Strings. Advise Needed
« on: August 24, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
I am shooting a 1970, I think, 60" 55# Kodiak Hunter and I have broke either 3 or 4 strings at the top loop since I started shooting it a couple years ago.  This last one I bought less than a month and a half ago but I've been shooting a lot to get ready for deer season.  I have tried sanding the grooves down, and they look smooth.  I have a feeling that a lot of the wear comes from stringing and unstringing the bow, well mostly the stringing part.  The leather hood makes it difficult for me to slip the loop completely in the groove and sometimes I have to push it over after I relax the stringer, which must be hard on the string because of how it snaps over the lip under a lot of tension.  But it always breaks during shooting which is pretty alarming but the limbs still look straight to me and I am not bleeding anywhere so I think all is good.  Any ideas on how to prevent this?

I have read that some leave bows strung, does this really not wear the limbs out some?  and will it be bad in my no ac apartment in 90 degree weather, gotta save money to spend on archery    :p  I figure I can do this to try and cut down on the wear but I still think something is wrong.  

Also now that I need a new string I am interested in using less strands for more speed, do they make Dacron strings with fewer strands through the middle of the string but still have the full 16 on the loop?  Because I figure I can't spare any on the loops at this rate, but if they do make different strand strings what is the safest you guys would recommend for a 55# bow that I draw 28" 12 or 14?  Sorry about the rambling question but I'm ready for advise so I can purchase a new string and start shooting again!!!   :D

Offline RecurveHunter01

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Multiple Broke Strings. Advise Needed
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
oh, and the strings have been endless loop if that matters.  I like the look more than flemish but maybe I should try flemish since these haven't been working out that well

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 09:55:00 PM »
Get a Selway or similar stringer that has the rubber block that lays flush on the limb when stringing,and it has a cordura nylon deep pocket for the lower limb. I bet it will cure your problem and also make for a safer method. Only stringer I will use. I wouldn't think it should matter as far as endless or flemish, but you need to sure the groove is as smooth as possible where the string lays and travels. If it were mine, I wouldn't leave it strung in the heat for a long period. Better safe than sorry, especially on a bow with age on it such as yours. You would be well advised to contact some of the stringmakers on here, Pierre Lucas with SBD strings wouldn't be a bad place to start with your concerns.

Froggy
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
I don't think the temperature in your apartment is gonna reach high enough to damage your bow.

I would try leaving your bow strung all the time. That's what I've been doing for years and it doesn't hurt a thing. Some will tell you you should unstring it but I'm tellin' ya it won't hurt it to leave it strung. Many others will attest to this as well. Sorry but I can't help you with the strand count on Dacron string materials. I'm sure someone will though.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »
Be careful. .  but if you stuff some material into the front of the leather pouch of the stringer.... not enough to be dangerous, but enough to fill some of the tip and not allow the bow tip to go quite as deep, you will not have the same trouble with stringing.  

Now, if the string is getting worn or cut in the same spot, there is an issue that needs to be addressed.  Gotta fix that burr or sharp spot.
ChuckC

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »
Another thing you might look at is "draw your bow" and have someone give it a close inspection for any possible lifting or separating of the laminations (not that you want to hear that) where the string is making contact  with the bow. It should be smooth with no nicks or sharp corners

A sixteen strand string will normally have eight strands in each loop. You could go down to 14 strands but you wont notice much of a difference (IMO)

Froggys right on the stringer..... good luck

Mike
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
I would start by getting a recurve stringer with a nylon sleve on one end and a rubber block on the other end.  I think it is a Selway stringer.  Also since you have already started sanding the string groove, go at the limbs with 400 grit wet sand paper just to get rid of any possible sharp edges.  You will love the stringer I'm telling you about.  The stringer you ave could possibly still be used if you put a small piece of rag in the end of the leather boot, as long as you are still able to get the boot over the tips.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 05:25:00 AM »
Do you have any idea about how far you can draw the bow before the string is being damaged?

In my opinion you might have a twist in the limb that's "bends" the string loop out of position. This will be almost impossible to see with just looking at the limbs without getting someone to look at you when you draw the bow.

I have experienced this thing my self. The bow seemed fine and did shot the arrows like darts out to ca 29" of draw.. with my drawlength close to 31" the string seemed to be cut of in the stringloop, and I was all over the bow to check for sharp edges, twisted limb etc. In the end I was looking at a friend drawing the bow and just before he hit the anchor at 29.5" the string slided down the limb and all *"## suddenly happened. in the end the was a slight twist in the upper limb. It cost me 5 strings and a swollen lip, some blood and quite a lot of anger, before I did find out.
The good thing was that the bowyer made me some brand new limbs.

But check this out! It might get nasty with a sharp broadhead in the front at fulldraw and something goes wrong!!

Margly
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline RecurveHunter01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 10:34:00 AM »
So Margly, you could not detect a limb twist by looking at the bow but only when it was drawn past 29"?  An then the string loop would come out of the groove and slide down the limb?  That sounds like it would be a very noticable on the shot, and as far as I can, though I am fairly new to this, my bow shoots fine.  But I'll check it out and hope that is not the case for me.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 11:02:00 AM »
Does the limb itself have a sharp edge on it? You could be wearing on the string while sliding it along the limb edge.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©