3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Will a 3 blade shave hair?  (Read 546 times)

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Will a 3 blade shave hair?
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
Stan: It took me four years to get that buck and the only time I saw him was the afternoon I killed him. He was a state NH bow kill record for about 10 years....that was way back in 1990. Time flies when you are having fun.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 06:51:00 PM »
The edge I get on my Snuffers and Woodsmans are shaving sharp. The edge can't be felt unless you move your finger across the blade.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
Okay, I'll work on em a bit more. Thanks for all the help!

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by elkbreath:
funny thing, i couldn't shave with my snuffers.  I asked my pop if they were sharp enough in his opinion.  He touched them lightly and said 'for sure'!  Then, without prompting, he shaved the hair off is arm with them....  Could be your shaving technique!
I wonder about that sometimes... Is there a proper technique? (Being a kid, I don't shave that much...)

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
I thought woodsmans were a cinch to get really scary sharp. Grizzly el Grandes gave me a hard time with the single bevel in the beginning but i figured it out. I use a big nicholson bastard file then medium and real fine stones for 3 blades and they basically come equipped with a guide just lay 2 of the 3 blades flat on the abrasive. Honestly nothin to it.

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2010, 10:57:00 PM »
I just re-read my post and i feel i might be coming off as some kind of a wise guy and I really dont mean too, i just really never had a problem getting 3 blade heads to shave. Maybe as someone said above your applying too much pressure. Im sure youll get it and once you do you too will feel the same. Good luck!!
Don

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2010, 12:10:00 AM »
I shot woodsman for many years, with a wire edge. I wouldn't want to shave with it, but there where many deer and hogs that really didn't like the out come that they had with that combination. only very light on a file. I would not shave with it....

Bob

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2010, 01:22:00 AM »
not that I know of...perhaps your hair's thicker then some of these other guys!

You'll get it.  Just keep an even bevel on all three sides, decrease pressure and grit down to the finest thing you have.  Put a burr on, lightly take it off.   Push two blades across that stone at a time, then turn it and do it again.  Push them backward ten times, then lightly forward a couple.  the forward will take off the burr that you created pushing them backward.  Then decrease pressure and grit to the next stone.  Put a burr on, then lightly take it off.  Switch again.  When you are close to done, lightly draw it backward across leather or cardboard a few times.  

keep at it, you'll get it.
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2010, 06:58:00 AM »
I couldn't get an edge that felt sharp to my touch on a Woodsman but they were extremely sharp.

Then I started hollow grinding on a 5" pvc and using sandpaper from 60 grit down to 1000 grit.  They get sharper and they now feel sharp with the lessened angle.  They will plow hair without effort.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2010, 07:17:00 AM »
:campfire:
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys! I'm gonna do some sharpening this weekend and see how sharp I can get em. They have a bit of a swoop in the blade that I would like to grind down and I think that'll make a big difference. So out comes the bastard...

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2010, 12:33:00 AM »
hey, that hollow grinding is a good idea.   How has that got passed me all this time?  I'm going to go round up a piece and give my old snuffers a run to see how she goes!  

Wouldn't the edge be really fragile?  Perhaps not enough to matter in one Pass Through.
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2010, 04:18:00 AM »
I was having the same problem with my WW's.  They're the first broadheads I've owned and I was getting a touch frustrated with myself.  I saw Friends call me Pac's post and shot him a pm.  He was really helpful and I found out one bonehead thing I was doing was pushing the blades towards the square end of the file, not the handle end.  Looking at the cut on the file, no wonder it was taking an eternity to start working...

I fiddled a bit more with my pressure as some of the other guys said and a little while later was ridding various parts of my body of hair.  I've gotten to the point (by the 3rd one) that I can get them shaving quite well only using my bastard file.

I'm a sharpening moron, so I know you can do it  :) .  Keep at it and good luck.

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »
Once you get them halfway sharp, run them around the inside of a ceramic coffee cup. Hap

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
I shoot thunder head 125's and they will shave a gorilla right out of the box.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Dave Alaxanian

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
Mark all sides of blades with a perm. marker ,then hold 2 blades flat on a Rough Bastard file till all marker is gone -go 2 a rough stone till file marks are gone -smooth diamond stone-hard smooth Ark. oilstone -strop with leather or waxy piece of cardboard--and your right it's a lot of work but I thought traditional archery was supposed 2 b that way---I've never seen one of dem der "SWACkERS" on the end of a cedar shaft !

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »
I took my file to em today. I got em Shaving! My arm is completely bare. That file made a big difference. I was just using an extra coarse hone before. They'll just plow hair now. I love it! Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it. Hopefully I'll get to try em on a deer tomorrow!

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
I knew you'd get it!!!!!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©