3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A budding bowyers Journey ...Pics..THE FINALE  (Read 1926 times)

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
A budding bowyers Journey ...Pics..THE FINALE
« on: May 16, 2007, 07:25:00 AM »
Got an email one day from a fellow in the service (he's a fellow trad ganger that lurks alot but doesn't post much). Said he'd be in Cinti for some special training the week of May 14 and wondered if he could stop by. Seems about 2 years ago he bought this Dryad bow blank and was afraid of messing it up and wondered if we could work on it.

Sure..I ain't afraid to mess up someone else's bow blank...come on out     :bigsmyl:    

So about 5:00 last night this nice young man that goes by AFshawn here on Tradgang shows up carrying this long brown tube

There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A budding bowyers Journey ...Pics..THE FINALE
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 07:27:00 AM »
Inside was one of Dryads bamboo backed bullet wood bow blanks with cocbolo in the handle and tip overlays

I introduced Shawn to a ferriers rasp and gave him some instruction and set him loose on his blank

Here is cutting in his initial facets on the belly

There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 07:31:00 AM »
At this point we took a break for some Cincinnati chili that Dianne had made for us.

Back to bowyerin....

Shawn has a good eye and a good feel for the tools and progressed nicely, cutting in his facets and then removing belly wood with the rasp, then recutting the facet until he had it bending well but stiffly at floor tiller

Then we changed tools and he went to work on the tip overlays (notice cardboard taped to limbs to protect bamboo backing)

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 07:32:00 AM »
Once he got his tip overlays shaped I showed him how I shape the string grooves on one side and he did the other. Did real well too.

I grabbed a 68" string for the 65" ntn bow and we headed to the tiller tree.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 07:37:00 AM »
We got both limbs bending smoothly and flexing about 10" then went to the short string which revealed one limb was WAY stronger than the other.

Shawn learned to use the walky-talky stick for looking at the gap to find the stiff spots and he also learned the patience that comes with scraping little..excercising a lot and looking carefully.

By 10:00 PM we had both limbs back bending equally, had the bow tillered to 23" and were still overweight by a bit. At this point we gave up for the night and will finish it up tonight hopefully. I think this pic was at about 19" of draw while excercising.You can see the left limb is still not bending as well as the right limb at this point.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 07:43:00 AM »
Mike from Dryad recommends an 8" long non bending tip. That seems a little excessive to me, but Mike swears by it so that's what were leaving it with.

Tonight we'll get her finish tillered to 50#@ 25" (before final sanding)and hopefully Shawn will get to fling some arrows from his new bow.

to be continued.................

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 07:45:00 AM »
BTW be careful when rasping/sanding the cocobolo. It is very irritating and has a wierd smell that is kinda acrid. Makes you sniffle and your eyes burn.

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 07:49:00 AM »
Kudos Mickey, what a wonderful thing to do.....  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  Shawn has gone to the right place to learn the craft for sure......

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 07:50:00 AM »
Also have to say Mike does a heck of a job with these bow blanks. Out of the tube the initial limb shape is cut, handle shape was cut, the initial tip shape was cut and the lines were drawn on it for the facets. Good glue lines, and the bamboo was clean. Kinda like paint by numbers for novice bowyers.

The hardest part for novices is fear..the fear to lay the rasp to the wood and work it back and forth. Get the video Mike sells with the bow and it explains the process pretty well. Doesn't take much work to get a nice bow for your efforts and the satisfaction of doing it one's self.

Offline shawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 07:52:00 AM »
I am looking forward to reading the next chapter in this book. Thanks for posting.

Shawn

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 07:57:00 AM »
Thanks David..I think he's a natural.

Hey a different Shawn shows up     :D     they're everywhere!   :biglaugh:

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 08:16:00 AM »
Good on you Mickey!!

Shawn, thanks for your service for our freedom. As said before, you went to the right place for help.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 08:26:00 AM »
Well done. Look forward to the rest of the tale.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 08:43:00 AM »
Forgot to mention while Shawn was working on his bow, the phone rang. I had told Wingnut that Shawn was coming by to work on his bow and Mike called to see how he was doing and to encourage him. Mike was on a pig hunt in south Texas with the Tony McCalls and called before heading out for his evenings hunt. How's that for customer service? LOL

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 08:45:00 AM »
It doesn't get any better. Mike is top notch.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Tique

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2007, 09:26:00 AM »
Looking good Mickey; can't wait to see some more. Yes, Mike is top notch.
Untested ideas are not facts.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2007, 01:46:00 PM »
Poor Shawn is in training and doesn't know I posted this. Guess he'll find out tonight hee  hee

He should be here in a couple of hours to finish up this project.

Question for those of you who have built these kit bows. Any finish problems on the cocobolo?

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2007, 02:10:00 PM »
Oh and guess  what Shawn gets to eat for dinner tonight?  HDFH   :readit:    :eek:    :jumper:

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2007, 02:17:00 PM »
Micky,

I like to put a few coats of THIN CA glue wiped on the COCO before the finish of your choice.  I actually put 3 coats of CA on the entire last Bamboo backed bow I built and really liked how it turned out.  I then followed that with 3 coats of Spray Poly.

Nice pics and good job teaching.  With a blank from Mike and lessons from you, he might be a master bowyer by nights end.  LOL!!!!
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2007, 02:23:00 PM »
CC..dribble it on and wipe it with a rag? I'm not doing the whole bow though, just the coco parts. Dang it would take an entire bottle of glue to do the whole thing wouldn't it? LOL

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©