3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A budding bowyers Journey ...Pics..THE FINALE  (Read 1927 times)

Offline W.Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A budding bowyers Journey ...Pics..THE FINALE
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2007, 07:02:00 AM »
good read......

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2007, 08:53:00 AM »
Sweet.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2007, 08:59:00 AM »
great stuff.
“instinctive archery” is more like playing the violin. Without practice you may remember the mechanics, but you will not be a virtuoso.

62" titan riser and samick master limbs 50@28

Offline Wapitidung

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2007, 10:27:00 AM »
Geez, Shawns got a big ol dip in his mouth.  I just quit.  Its giving me the woolies.

Where's the valium.

Wapitidung
Apprentice - GoodWill Industries ProStaff

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2007, 12:24:00 PM »
great job shawn!!!!

Shawn I know exactuly what you were feeling, i have a osage selfbow I started 9yrs ago and got her ready to tiller but now I'm SCARED to break it. My oldest boy was 2 and now hes 11.

thanks for the post mick!!
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2007, 12:51:00 PM »
Dang Brian it's just wood. Heck in 9 years you could have made 100 bows. You know the old saying..." even a turtle wouldn't get anywhere if he didn't stick his head out." Drag that thing out of the barn and make a bow. If ya ruin it I'll see ya get another piece.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline ozarkcherrybow1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2007, 06:38:00 PM »
Great story Mickey. Gotta love those Dryad blanks! Bad thing is, they're kinda addictive. Ya can't have just one  :bigsmyl:  ..Terry

Offline W.Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2007, 09:20:00 PM »
really enjoyed this thread........Thanks

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2007, 09:43:00 PM »
Glad to see another bow build-a-long Mickey!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2007, 10:59:00 PM »
Brian,
Nine years, Wow!!  It just ain't right to leave a stave roughed out for that long.  :knothead:   Make the TBM shoot at Moose Creek in July and we can get that stave turned into a bow and shooting by Sunday, if not Saturday.  I will bring a tillering tree, all the necessary tools, and Bob Morgan should be in attendance for some really, really, really good supervision.  Besides, if we break it, my house is only a couple of miles from the shoot and we will get you a replacement stave, free.

Walt Francis
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2007, 08:23:00 AM »
Dang you guys did good!!  

Mickey,

Thanks for the assist on the blanks completion.  It was funny when I talked with you the other day and could here myself in the background on the DVD.  

Shawn,

Good Job on the bow.  Next time don't hang on to it so long before you get'r'done.  Heck that blank has to be two years old.  LOL

Have fun getting it sanded and finished.  You'll have a bow that you can be proud of for years to come.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2007, 08:54:00 AM »
Mike, it was fun. I was really amazed how close it was to a bow when it came out of the tube. Good job on the layout. Must say there is plenty of wood there for about whatever weight bow a guy is wanting to build, or enough wood that a guy can make a mistake or two in tillering and still have enough wood to recover and make weight if he's waanting a bow anwhere in the 40's or 50# range.

Cocobolo was kind of irritating though.

I don't know what you sell those blanks for but I see it as a real alternative for someone without a lot of money that wants a custom wood bow.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline 1/2primitive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2007, 10:27:00 AM »
Wow, that was awsome, great job on the bow Shawn! Keep at it man!  :clapper:    :clapper:  
     Sean

Offline AFshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2007, 11:42:00 PM »
Hi guys,
Sorry it took so long to post but I had a week of catching up to do. First let me say a huge thank you to Mickey and Dianne. allowing me into your home, feeding me and just putting up with a guy who basically just showed up at your door is way above and beyond. I had a great time. The bow that appeared at some point in the process is really evidence of Mickey's skill as a bowyer and teacher. I was kinda afraid to screw up because there were a couple of staves in the corner that I am sure would have left a mark!!! I was caught way off guard when the phone rang and Mickey handed it to me. I think Mickey and Wingnut both got a chuckle out of that ambush.
    I really have to say that it was easier than I thought it would be. We just kept tinkering around and all of a sudden I noticed that we had what looked a lot like a bow in front of us!! The walkie talkie made it easy to see where we needed to scrape and I felt a lot more comfortable under Mickey's supervision.
    I think the comment about these things being addictive is spot on. I am already trying to figure out a way to come up with a two piece!!

Thanks again Mickey and all of you who have commented on the thread.

By the way, after a little more shooting and a couple more twists in the string I have got to say this bow shoots very nicely and hits a ton!! Wingnut puts out a great product and I will definitely have another one soon.

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2007, 08:46:00 AM »
Nice Work you Guys, I enjoyed this thread.  Way to go!  Thats gonna be a special bow right there!  :thumbsup:

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2007, 08:48:00 AM »
Thanks Shawn!

Looking forward to the call for another and I think you will be pleased with the changes we've made in the bow since you bought that one.

Mickey,

The Osage blanks go for $150 complete with either a coco or bocote handle and tips.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »
That was great!! Thanks to you Shawn for your service and Mickey and Dianne for being such generous and special people.   :notworthy:    :notworthy:
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2007, 01:03:00 PM »
Hey Shawn glad to see you survived your trip to Cinti. Like all the construction on our roads?   :mad:  

Was a pleasure having you here. You ate everything we served you without complaining (thought for sure you might have an issue the next morning after eating 2 HDFH). Although he did mention that chili on top of spaghetti just didn't sound right    :thumbsup:

Offline AFshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2007, 06:25:00 PM »
OK you got me. I did have a slight interruption of class the next morning!! Good thing I was completed with my portion of the work!!! And I DID drag wood chips through the house. The new Gizmo sounds great. I'll have to try that. I figured I ought to shoot the bow a little before finishing and I think I have found the right grip on the handle to give me consistent results. Seth, our 3 year old, took one look and said "Daddy I wike your new bow!" Just doesn't get any better than that. We have been shooting each day this weekend. What a blast. Again Thanks Mickey and all the rest of you following along.

Mike, I will be in touch as soon as I scrape up the cash.

Offline LazerRay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2007, 09:11:00 AM »
Nice job ferret
Contempt prior to investigation leads to everlasting ignorance!
William James

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©