3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Meet Mr. Wile E. ....Update on page 3...  (Read 1175 times)

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Meet Mr. Wile E. ....Update on page 3...
« on: August 26, 2010, 03:18:00 AM »
I finally got a pic of Mr. Sneaky.  

This dude has been thinning out the neighbor's cats over the last few months.  I left him alone and let him do his thing.  The neighbor won't get her cats fixed, so I'm letting him help with the situation.  Now that the cats are down to a respectable number, he's turned his attention elsewhere.

One night last week, I was out with my Jack Russell, Taku.  It was about 1 am, and, while I shot my bow a little, Taku was doing his business.  He usually zooms around the yard for a while, then comes and "helps" me pull arrows.

This time, though, he didn't come back like usual. I thought maybe he had ventured over to the neighbor's house, so I walked around to the garden to see if I could see him.  Right as I went around the garage, I caught a glimpse of him out in our field.

Our field is lit up slightly by the lights on the neighboring DOT property. You can see fairly well out there and, since Taku is mostly white, he is really visible out there even on the darkest nights.

Anyway, I caught a glimpse of him running around like he was trailing something.  He disappeared behind an equipment trailer.  I was preparing to whistle at him, when I saw something dart out of the shadows toward him.  The next thing I see is a cloud of dust and hear Taku literally screaming.

"Oh, crap!", I yelled and sped over to see if I could save my little buddy.  He was about 140 yards from me at the start, and when I got to about 50, I saw him squared off with a big coyote.

I still had my bow, but it was way to risky to shoot from that far.  Still running, I yelled and the coyote jerked his head toward me and then took off.

Taku came trotting over to me and stood between my legs.  Every hair on his little body was standing on end.  We walked back to the house and he stuck by my ankle like he was velcro'd to me.

When we got inside I inspected him. I expected to see blood everywhere, but to my surprise, he only had a couple of little marks on his neck.  He's definitely a tough little booger.  I think that coyote was expecting something other than 22 lbs of solid muscled fury.

Since then, I've had a couple of close encounters with the coyote.  He stalked out pretty close to my yellow lab twice, but took off when he saw me.  

I think it's time to take him, but I don't know. I've considered waiting until he gets his winter coat.  He comes around the same time every night and I think it will be a fairly easy to call him into a blind.

There's enough light from the neighboring property that I should be able to see him well enough to shoot all through the night.  I think I'll need to get him within 15 yards or so.

I have a couple of different plans. First I think I'll try to lay a scent trail down and maybe a tidbit of deer meat to have him pause in the right spot.  If that doesn't work, I might try a decoy and calling.

Offline Andrew Wesley

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Meet Mr. Wile E. ....Update on page 3...
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 03:31:00 AM »
just go to your local hunting store and buy a $5 rabbit distress mouth call and use a decoy and a good blind.  
sounds like the coyotes is pretty used to humans so he should come in no problem.
just make sure your bow is super quiet, i've seen a coyote hear a release and jump over the arrow... and that was from a compound. (so much for the 300+fps wheelie)
(be careful, coyote hunting is addictive, about all i hunt now is predators!)
~Andrew Wesley

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 04:00:00 AM »
I've got several different calls.  I've taken several coyotes over the years, but none with a bow.  I'm thinking that if I can get him to follow a scent trail (made by dragging a freshly thawed piece of deer meat), he's apt to be more relaxed than he would be if he came in to a call. Every one I've ever called in before seemed to be on high alert. I think that if I lashed a piece of meat to a tree, he'd get preoccupied with it for a few seconds.

Also, every dog in the neighborhood gets pretty wound up when I blow a call.  

He's definitely used to human scent.  I've seen him cross my neighbor's backyard seconds after the neighbors walked inside.  I've been within 20 yards of him several times, while walking the dogs.  If I'd had my bow, I could have taken him while he was distracted by my yellow lab.

I'll be using a Hill Halfbreed.  It's really quiet, but it's not very fast.  I'll try to get him within 15 yards.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 06:21:00 AM »
Since that 'yote is so bold and threatening your pets like that, I think I would just take a rifle and get rid of him before he kills something precious to you. I'm sure there is more than one 'yote around there. You can always hunt the others with the bow after you have killed the trouble maker hanging around your place.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 06:32:00 AM »
Any coyote that is willing to be seen within such close range is a BAD `yote.

Every encounter he has with people is simply risk assessment. He is trying to figure out if he can get away with what he WANTS to do.

Within the law, I would do whatever necessary to enable you to peel his hide...winter coat or not.

Take ishoot4thrills advice. Put a little bang in his next encounter with you.

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 06:33:00 AM »
I'm with ishhot4thrills on just taking this yote out! Kinda ticked me off reading your story knowing that yote picked on Taku like that! Next time might be to late get rid of him now. Of course thats easy for me to say I haven't been lucky with my gun yet to get one so pulling the trigger on one to me would be fulfilling. Good luck taking Wile E.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 06:50:00 AM »
I'd say you've got Mr. Yote patterned pretty well!  I wouldn't want to be in his paws as the sand in his hourglass is rapidly disappearing.  

I hope there are no small children in this area that play away from the house?  I was in Nova Scotia last October when the young folk singer was killed by coyotes on a hiking trail.  It is a VERY RARE thing for a coyote to kill a person, I think it had been more than 20 years since it happening when the female adult was killed in Nova.

We have coyotes all around us. I killed one while in my PJs this past February. A pair were trotting down the lane towards the house. I used the deck stairs as my rest while standing barefoot in the snow. Mr. coyote had a severe allergic reaction to a particularly infective 150grain .270 WSM silvertip.

Offline Reaper TN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 06:57:00 AM »
TT Pinnacle II  45# 62"
Hoyt Excel  50# 64"

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 07:20:00 AM »
I agree.... a dose of lead poisoning !
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline sj_lutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 07:23:00 AM »
Be bow or gun, this yote needs to take a dirt nap pretty doggone quick.  

Good luck!

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 07:58:00 AM »
If he is trying to kill my pets, I would introduce him to my AR15.
John

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 08:01:00 AM »
Yup, I agree with these fellas.  Once a yote gets where he is not afraid of people, he is bad news.  
I have cattle and horses, so yotes are a pretty common site around my house.  I have found that a 25-06 works well.  I have tried several times with my bow, but they will not get within range.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 08:05:00 AM »
There are no kids around.

I'm going to do a trial run on the bait tonight.  I'll set up the game camera and get a pic of him.  If it works, I'll try to take him with my bow Friday night.  I'd really like to make a nice quiver out of him. And I'd like to be able to post pics of him on here.

I saw him again this morning just after sunrise.  I feel pretty confident that I can get him. If I can't with the bow. My .22 mag has taken several.

I was talking to my neighbor last night about killing the yote.  She's 80, by the way.  Anyway, she says "I've got a trap you can use", and points over by her porch. "I've caught several of them cats in it."  It was one of those humane traps for catching possums.  Her eyes got real big when I told him the coyote was bigger than her dog.  She was thinking it was the size of the little grey foxes we have. They might go 10 pounds.

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 08:28:00 AM »
Gotta pile on to what everyone else says......take him out...with whatever projectile launching device is at your disposal.

Yes...the lil' Jacks are tough little buggers...but, the problem is not their toughness.....it's their attitude!  Their "make-up" won't allow them to back off....which can lead to their early demise when facing off with Mr. Wile-E.  If anyone has ever seen them kill a rat ("take-your-breath-away" impressive BTW)....you will know the true nature of a Jack Russell.  The same attitude applies when they latch on to the neck of a bigger dog that outweighs them by 10 fold.  Their brain doesn't tell them they can't win!

Since the yote has already developed a taste for house pets, he obviously is going to hang around a bit.  Don't take chances.  Tell the neighbor to not get alarmed if they hear a loud bang in the night....get a predator call and put his lights out.  They go down easily with about any projectile that you choose to use.....as long as you can hit them!    :readit:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
You've got that right.  To say Taku's tenacious is an understatement.  He got after a groundhog once and I thought I'd never get him out of that hole.  I could hear him barking and growling underneath my feet, way down.

I don't think there's a dog alive that outweighs him 10-fold though.  He's 22 pounds.  He's built like a miniature pit bull. I don't doubt a coyote would kill him, though, so I don't let him run around at night anymore.  I've also got a 75 pound lab/weimeraner mix. The coyote avoids him like the plague.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 09:37:00 AM »
I share my house with a couple of little "she-devils" also known as "terrorists in clown suits" or Jack Russell Terriers.

Nobody ever told these two that they don't weigh 110 lbs when it comes to fight! I fear for them sometimes because their bravery can cross the line into..."that's stupid!" I've seen it happen with very large ridge running coon. It might as well have been a bear...lol

It is my opinion that you've been sent the message by the coyote.... now before something happens that you could end up regretting...Take him out!!!!!

You'll have a hard time getting over it if the unexpected happens.

Just my opinion!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 09:42:00 AM »
This is getting exciting!! Mr Wyley has just got to go. Sounds to me like you really want to get him with your bow. Good for you. I'd go for it. You've got a good plan with the bait tied to a tree. That should stop him long enough for a shot but remember how sensitive a dogs nose is.. a coyote will be the same. With no wind at night your sent will pool out. Maybe the first shot with your stick and if you miss then a quick running shot with Mr 12ga, #4 buckshot? He will either become a bow quiver or will decide to move out of the area..
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 10:05:00 AM »
I scouted out a couple of ambush sites. The wind should be coming out of the North, so my first choice should be perfect.  I'm going to set up under a sweet gum tree.  There's enough undergrowth around it that I'll be able to blend in quite nicely. There's another sweetgum 12 paces away that I'll tie my bait to. I'll tie it on so that it'll be just out of his reach.  I think he'll put his front feet on the tree to try and pull it off.

Tonight will be the test.  I'll give him just enough to make him want to come back for more.  Hopefully the trailcam will catch him and not the neighbor's dog.

Offline Kapellmeister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 10:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bowwild:
... We have coyotes all around us. I killed one while in my PJs this past February...
:eek:   How'd he get in your PJ's?!

(Sorry... I just couldn't resist the setup!)     :smileystooges:
Gene

~ s.D.g. ~

68" Osage Orange Selfbow 55@28
68" Hill Half-Breed 55@28
64" Schafer Silvertip 1pc Longbow 50@28
58" Shrew Classic Hunter 49@28

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »
22 Cent cure that starts with a bang and ends with a dead yote.  That wild dog is becoming to bold and is dangerous to everyone around you now.  Put him down the next time you see him.  Hang his hide on your property corner as a message to the other yotes and you won't see any more of them for a long time.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©